Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yet another K&M cone filter question... (Read 197 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Yet another K&M cone filter question...
07/03/15 at 13:19:09

I'm considering switching out the airbox/folded paper filter for a chromed K&M cone filter (57mm).

I'd like to keep the current battery box assembly just as it is, but remove the current plastic airbox. Instead of having the filter point rearward up under the seat, I was hoping to use a 90 degree elbow of some kind to have it point out to the right. I found this on sleaze-bay.

It can be cut of course, but I am wondering if anyone knows if A) it will fir with the battery box in, and B) if it will restrict air...or provide better air flow since the filter will be more exposed to moving air.

Thanks in advance Smiley

silicone_elbow.JPG

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Yet another K&M cone filter question...
Reply #1 - 07/03/15 at 13:38:54

if that's from ryca, then they would be the best people to ask.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 07/03/15 at 13:44:34

It is a RYCA part, and soft silly-cone as opposed to a PVC pipe or radiator hose.

Ryca sells these and the cone filter. They swear by them. I wanted an OBJECTIVE opinion as to whether or not the right-angle mount is worse than the straight mount in terms of air flow.

My gut tells me the 90 degree mount will "force" more air into the carb due to the filter being directly in the airflow. The elbow may cause some loss, making both this setup and the straight setup about equal. Of course...that's just my opinion from eyeballing it Wink

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/03/15 at 14:03:33

in general, I'm not a cone fan.
people usually mount it right on the carb and have nothing but problems.
when you're mounting a gage to the air duct, you need 7 diameters between the gage and any turbulence to get accurate readings.
The carb is kind of a gage.
I recommend that a length of tubing between and filter and the carb at least the length of the stock rubber ducky.
I think you'll be ok with the elbow in that regard.

And I think "being in the airflow" will make 1 bit of difference.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/03/15 at 14:20:57

Air flow back there is turbulent... it's already hit the front wheel, engine, and your legs...  at that point, it's as likely to draw as blow...

There's a reason air filters have boxes... Huh...

I'm not saying it's anything bad... but, just don't count on better flow by having it stick out...
I'd just do what's purdiest... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/03/15 at 19:54:07

I don't think it will fit but the filter can be put behind the battery box.   88pagan did it and posted a pic in this thread here...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1225910518/0#13

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 07/03/15 at 20:02:37

After reading litterally DOZENS of pages of information about the cone filter adaptation...I fully realize this is NOT a performance upgrade. I simply would rather not have a deep performance DOWNgrade.

The airbox is huge, takes up a lot of space and makes it difficult to work on that area of the bike. I also like the look of the cone, so yeah...it's pretty much a vanity item.

Thanks for the input guys....airbox and standard filter will stay put for the immediate future. I got enough on my plate as it is Grin

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/03/15 at 20:13:13

I wouldn't call adding a pod filter a "performance downgrade".  All my experience says you will achieve a performance boost, provided that you rejet and adjust properly.  There's definitely a corresponding horsepower increase going from the stock asthmatic set up to a high flow situation.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/03/15 at 20:20:46

Do not mean to sound sarcastic but....What makes you think that you are smarter than all those engineers working for Suzuki?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/03/15 at 20:42:47

dustystranger wrote on 07/03/15 at 20:20:46:
Do not mean to sound sarcastic but....What makes you think that you are smarter than all those engineers working for Suzuki?

I don't have the same environmental restrictions they do.  It's important to remember that they have to sell their bikes to many locations all over the world with varying degrees of tightassery...I'm not selling bikes, I'm riding them.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/04/15 at 02:58:01

I just don't know the power outcome of a cone filter.  They are on a lot of bikes that run really well.  Some of them are race bikes and a lot of older Ducati bikes came from the factory that way.  They are the easiest and most convenient way to install a filter.....back in my day it was the oil foam "sock" that got put on the enduro bikes that were stripped down and made into flat track bikes.

My big problem with the cone filters is that they are not weatherproof.  When you wash the bike you have to be careful not to spray water on them - and if you get caught in the rain or your bike sits outside....the water can get into the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #11 - 07/04/15 at 08:23:46

I just yesterday found a lot of discussion about removing the accordion fold paper element and replacing with Hobby Lobby polyester padding sprayed with Pam, and leaving the airbox cover off.

Did that turn out to be an improvement for the folks that did it?

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/04/15 at 08:30:32

Lightly oiled foam breathes better than a paper element...
Heavily oiled foam breathes like,.. ...heavily oiled foam...  Huh...

You can buy "filter foam"... pretty cheap... Why use a Hobby Lobby seat cushion stuffing?...
Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/04/15 at 08:40:48

chzeckmate wrote on 07/03/15 at 20:13:13:
I wouldn't call adding a pod filter a "performance downgrade".  All my experience says you will achieve a performance boost, provided that you rejet and adjust properly.  There's definitely a corresponding horsepower increase going from the stock asthmatic set up to a high flow situation.

there you go.  airbox allows for a wider set of operation... 1 set up fits all.
A race set up requires constant adjustment for the daily conditions, maybe even hourly.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/04/15 at 10:05:48

I've read many a thread on many a site where someone went 'cone' and never got it to work right (including a LOT of sportbikes lol)
I've read a smaller number that went 'cone' and claim a power increase
I've never seen any dyno results posted by either side
I've never seen timed acceleration runs to support either side
I have seen dyno results that utterly destroy the 'higher performance with drag pipes' idea, and I sort of suspect that has some relevance, as intake and exhaust flow both work in pulses rather than a steady flow
the good ol 'butt dyno' is notoriously susceptible to 'placebo effect'

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:36:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yet another K&M cone filter question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.