Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yet another K&M cone filter question... (Read 197 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Yet another K&M cone filter question...
Reply #15 - 07/04/15 at 10:38:02

People seem so able to grasp the concept of exhaust gas pulses exiting the pipe and creating a slight low pressure zone at the head for the next time the exhaust valve opens. That's a tuned header. It works best in a Calculable RPM  range. Knowing the engines torque/RPM likes and dislikes, the exhaust system can be designed to optimize that.
Airflow is airflow, an intake manifold that has a moving slug of air just waiting to run thru the carb ,,,,
I've gone hunting online for intake design theory.
Cute isn't the best. I modified my airbox. If you look, it's got a wall inside. I created a greater volume between filter and carb. In short, volume between filter and carb should be at least the volume of the cylinder.
And remember, the fewer square inches of filter, the harder it works to inhale.
Think skinny straw in a malt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 07/04/15 at 10:53:22

verslagen1 wrote on 07/04/15 at 08:40:48:
chzeckmate wrote on 07/03/15 at 20:13:13:
I wouldn't call adding a pod filter a "performance downgrade".  All my experience says you will achieve a performance boost, provided that you rejet and adjust properly.  There's definitely a corresponding horsepower increase going from the stock asthmatic set up to a high flow situation.

there you go.  airbox allows for a wider set of operation... 1 set up fits all.
A race set up requires constant adjustment for the daily conditions, maybe even hourly.

Yes, that really sums it up nicely.  From an engineering standpoint, it's a balancing act.  They have to design a bike that will meet EPA standards, run properly in almost any environmental condition, and deliver it with a price point that consumers will deem a worthy value over competing manufacturers.  To do this, there is absolutely no way to provide a product that delivers the maximum of its potential performance without passing the cost to the consumer and risking problems with the EPA.  That's why people pay so much for Ducati, Aprilia, and the like.  

As individuals we can modify our bikes as much or little as we would like to achieve the goals we're after (better mileage, more hp, taller gearing, or whatever) and determine our own budget and timeline for our projects and we don't have the EPA knocking on our garage doors.  We can improve the performance of our bikes, and high flow intake/exhaust/fuel will do that.  That shouldn't even be a question.  The question, as you so succinctly pointed out is, do we want to do it and are the benefits of it worth the effort and maintenance involved?  I think it's probably not, but not everyone is trying to achieve maximum performance potential.  I don't think most people are comparing dyno results before and after modding.  I think a lot of us do it for the enjoyment of customizing and working on our machines.

I will say that I have done high flow mods to some of my bikes in the past and the dyno results showed dramatic improvements, but those bikes were not big singles.  I might also mention that even though my Aprilia showed huge improvements I couldn't feel the difference on the  AF1 track.  I think you might have to be riding at the professional level to really know how to make use of those kind of numbers.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 07/04/15 at 11:48:28

Well at least you did due diligence by testing
so many folks will say they just slapped on a pod and drags and got huge power increases (nope, not that easy) others do the work to actually tune their setup and test it
I always did acceleration runs, on my old muscle cars, tweaking and tuning before and after any change of hard parts
the results were sometimes surprising:
example: I got better acceleration out of a single 3" exhaust on a mild 350 than I did with duals (note that my dual setup was true duals, no crossover)
this is where thing get interesting

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 07/04/15 at 19:49:49

Art Webb wrote on 07/04/15 at 11:48:28:
Well at least you did due diligence by testing
so many folks will say they just slapped on a pod and drags and got huge power increases (nope, not that easy) others do the work to actually tune their setup and test it
I always did acceleration runs, on my old muscle cars, tweaking and tuning before and after any change of hard parts
the results were sometimes surprising:
example: I got better acceleration out of a single 3" exhaust on a mild 350 than I did with duals (note that my dual setup was true duals, no crossover)
this is where thing get interesting

Yeah, it can certainly get very interesting.  You know, the people who think they can just clamp on a pod and a straight through and then challenge their stock performance numbers are really naive.  Fluid dynamics can be very tricky and just because it's louder doesn't mean it has more power, although, it might feel like that (placebo effect)...As Versy alluded to, you have to have the right pod, pipe, jets, and adjustments for the climate.  In many cases you still won't see the real fruits of the labor until you do more afterwork like porting and polishing the carb/intake/exhaust.  If you're going to do that you might as well upgrade the carburetor, header, cam, etc. The rule of thumb is that if you can't achieve a minimum of 10% hp increase it's not worth doing unless you just want to.  On this bike achieving a 10% increase is highly unlikely with just a pod, straight through, and jets, but it sure sounds good  Cool    

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 07/04/15 at 22:07:50

I've heard one with a straight through, I don't agree it sounded good  Grin
the Emgo was OK, the Dyna sounds just right to me, that higher dollar one that was mentioned I haven't heard
I'm too lazy to do all that tuning these days, if I want a faster bike I'll buy a faster bike  Shocked
it is fun when you have the patience for it though

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 07/05/15 at 00:35:41

Art Webb wrote on 07/04/15 at 22:07:50:
I've heard one with a straight through, I don't agree it sounded good  Grin

Mine is straight through.  Here's a little 10 second clip of how it sounds.  This video was intended to show off my rear running lights and the mount I made, so there's no revving but you'll get the idea.  I think it sounds just fine.  I'm interested to know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VR87qsmD24

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 07/05/15 at 07:18:17

I like the Dyna muff better. To me the straight through is too loud and the tone is too staccato. The Dyna is louder than stock, but not a lot louder, and has a nice deep tone
I've actually heard both up close and personal, (the straight through was a Super trap with the baffling system removed) and youtube vids don't convey the full effect of either
the Dyna gives a nice deep throaty tone, where the open sounds to me not deep toned enough for the volume it puts out
Of course opinions are like armpits, we all have them, and most of them stink  Grin
if it makes you happy, go with it, I'll stick with the stocker or a Dyna

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/05/15 at 07:47:02

I'll admit that I think it's a little loud too.  I've been thinking of adding a crumb cup.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yet another K&M cone filter question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.