10 best cruisers (Read 379 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: 10 best cruisers
Reply #15 - 07/03/15 at 11:41:56

Thanks, Dave, that's pretty much what I meant, but couldn't find the right words to articulate
Also, I think it'd be a paint shaker no matter how big a counterweight they used
the S40 is pretty smooth, for a single, but the operative phrase is for a single
Also. isn't the trumpet liquid cooled? I don't recall but i think Ducks are still air cooled, but I don't think they're running 1600cc last I heard

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #16 - 07/03/15 at 12:26:34

Keep in mind Suzuki makes an 1800 V-twin, Yamaha does, Honda, H-D. H-D's is air cooled. Kawasaki, king of one-upsmanship, makes a 2052cc Vulcan V-twin.

Sez here on Wiki the Yamaha XV-1900 is a fairly high compresssion (9.5 to 1) stroker at 100mm bore x 118mm stroke. Dave is correct, the power curve changes as cylinder displacement increases: torque goes up, red line comes down. That Yamaha engine makes max hp at 4500rpm, max torque at 4100. I reckon it's done at 5K. You gear the transmission to exploit the dynamics of the engine.

Our Super Savage is gonna lope along at about 2250rpm at 70 all day in 5th gear, ready to lurch upward toward its torque peak with a twist... }8^D

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #17 - 07/03/15 at 15:48:40

Tocsik wrote on 07/02/15 at 13:02:29:
The Ducati Diavel is a cruiser?  And the Star VMAX?
I dunno  Roll Eyes

the Diavel is a cruiser built for fat Lebs who don't find an OCC chopper vulgar enough.  Tongue
V-Max, who knows? Destroyer of Worlds, maybe.
I don't think that all motor news is a very credible source. Appears to be one of those Indian kind of things that just regurgitates copy and calls it an article. I bet they've not gone out and taken those bikes for a spin.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/03/15 at 16:56:04

I saw a really cool motorcycle last night....and it may be the only one in the US as the bike was not imported into the US I am told.  The original owner as in the military in Canada and bought the bike, then moved to the US and brought the bike with him.  He later sold it to a fellow that lives in the Cincinnati area.

A Yamaha MT 01.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_mt-01%2008.htm

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 07/03/15 at 18:19:34

Strange looking beast

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 07/03/15 at 22:20:54

I'm sure it could work Sonny, but I don't think it'd be near as smooth as an 800 v twin, and not sure it'd be competitive with same
maybe I'm too jaded by past experience with a Norton  Grin
Maybe I'm just addled by that near 100 mile ride atn 60-80 mph todat
i deff need to use the XS 11 on those types of rides

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 07/04/15 at 01:07:03

Dave wrote on 07/03/15 at 16:56:04:
I saw a really cool motorcycle last night....and it may be the only one in the US as the bike was not imported into the US I am told.  The original owner as in the military in Canada and bought the bike, then moved to the US and brought the bike with him.  He later sold it to a fellow that lives in the Cincinnati area.

A Yamaha MT 01.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_mt-01%2008.htm

That's the bike of choice for mad men down under. Also have the MT07 and MT09 for lesser nutcases and the MT01 for learnertics. Nice bikes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 07/04/15 at 01:56:52

Drive train power pulses are a limiting factor, I would think.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #23 - 07/04/15 at 02:50:01

What is a "Fat Leb" and an "OCC chopper"?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #24 - 07/04/15 at 04:50:30

Fat Leb: Person of Lebanese descent, often involved in criminal acivitites or used car sales, with questionable taste and a proclivity to vulgar shows of affluence whether real or imagined.
OCC Chopper: Orange County Choppers. Bikes that appeal to tasteless wogs.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 07/04/15 at 07:38:43

gizzo wrote on 07/04/15 at 04:50:30:
OCC Chopper: Orange County Choppers. Bikes that appeal to tasteless wogs.

AKA Butt Jewelry
And Justin that's a good point, you'd need one big bastard of a flywheel, so acceleration would likely suffer

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 07/04/15 at 09:00:28

Everything is getting a shove or a tug 500 times per minute at 1,000 RPM.
INCREASE THE piston size, and stroke, and that power pulse gets stronger, damped by the flywheel,
I was looking at small tractors. I called a mechanic and asked him what to stay away from. He said the two cylinder stufeats drive operated tools, like the u joints and gear box of a brush hog. More cylinders, smoother. One BIGGO piston, and you're gonna get some Biggo changes in the powertrain.
Remember the recent belt break?

Id have a look at the hub and the torque soaking rubbers.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 07/04/15 at 09:04:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/04/15 at 09:00:28:
Everything is getting a shove or a tug 5002000 times per minute at 1,000 RPM.  (rpm x 2)-v1
INCREASE THE piston size, and stroke, and that power pulse gets stronger, damped by the flywheel,
I was looking at small tractors. I called a mechanic and asked him what to stay away from. He said the two cylinder stufeats drive operated tools, like the u joints and gear box of a brush hog. More cylinders, smoother. One BIGGO piston, and you're gonna get some Biggo changes in the powertrain.
Remember the recent belt break?

Id have a look at the hub and the torque soaking rubbers.

WWW   IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #28 - 07/04/15 at 09:42:33

Well, Vers, that is clear and hard to argue with. We *like* the pulsing, but just enough to be soulful and within reasonable engineering limits.

Even at 650cc, the Savage will tear itself up if you have the bad habit of lugging it.

I guess the audience for my Super Savage 800 keeps shrinking... now down to guys over 6 feet, who like heavy counterbalanced flywheels, don't care about burn-outs and redlines, just like to ride around being civil while making a low boomboomboom sound. The Suzuki marketing department would count up that demographic and say, no, not worth it, not enough of 'em...

Okay, where were we? How about a Savage with a 650cc vertically mounted air cooled V-12 with 52cc cylinders and no flywheel? The Savage Screamer.

The Suzuki marketing department will now open their desk drawers, grab their Samurai swords and come over the desk at me en masse... help me, guys!  }8^O

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 07/04/15 at 10:01:30

Has any body done a single carb, single exhaust parallel twin?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:21:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › 10 best cruisers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.