Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running hotter because of "wrong" oil? (Read 83 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Running hotter because of "wrong" oil?
07/01/15 at 08:40:54

So I recently had a stuck float that flooded the case with fuel. Noticed it while the bike was on the lift and pulled the carb and fixed it. Ordained the case and put new oil in...but, I used just a plain old MC oil that we had at the shop.

I've noticed she is a lot noisier while running and seems to be getting hotter than usual. Like hot enough to discolor the exhaust wrap the 1st few inches off the case.

She's not running any different and no changes have been made that would lean her out. I have some Rotella at the shop gonna flush her out today and get the good stuff back in there. Just curious if putting non approved oil would have that much of an influence on operating temps.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Running hotter because of "wrong" oil?
Reply #1 - 07/01/15 at 09:15:15

What weight is this "plain old MC oil"?

Are you riding in conditions that are warmer than what you were use to riding in?

Why would you suspect a lean condition? Have you performed a plug check with a fresh plug? Does the bike now have a lean stumble and is it surging during cruise?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/01/15 at 09:32:47

I wouldn't recommend changing oil brands very often.
incompatible oils are like mixing oil and water.
so finding 1 oil noisier than a previous oil might be an indication of that.
but most oils pour like water at room temp and you have to give them a chance to warm up.

How long did she run stationary?  More than 5 minutes and I don't blame her for getting hot.  And hot under the wrap, sounds like a natural occurrence to me.

more likely if it is running hot, it's caused by the carb, check your assembly, sometimes things get outta place.

WWW   IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 07/01/15 at 10:11:44

@Gary
The oil was Valvoline 10w-40 for motorcycles. It's what was on hand at the shop.
The bike isn't stumbling or surging in any way. The reason I spoke of a lean condition was the last time I built an exhaust she leaned out a lot and ran way hotter because of it. No changes have been made. I simply pulled the carb apart and cleaned it because of a stuck float issue.

The weather here has been upper 70s low 80s as of late. Not much hotter than normal. Even at night in mid 60s degree weather she is still hot. Only thing that's changed since this problem presented itself is oil.

@verslagen
To be honest it doesn't sit for long. Since it's getting hot fast I dot need the choke but a few short minutes. As far as the carb setup it seems to be good. I'm where I need to be on the brass screw setting. I'm not getting any pops under decel and no surging during cruising. I'm gonna flush her out today and do a new filter and Rotella and see if that's the issue. If not I'll park her until I can dig into it more.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 07/01/15 at 12:42:52

If you have an IR Temp Meter you can try to get a before and after CHT between the two oils. The hard part will be recreating the exact same conditions for the reading.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/01/15 at 14:34:14

Rotella 15/40.
Its possible that the gas Low

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #6 - 07/01/15 at 22:56:17

@Gary
Never thought of the IR temp gun. We have one at work for the brick pizza oven. Tomorrow when I get to work I'm gonna shoot various parts of the engine and exhaust and see what temps I get.

I changed the oil and filter tonight at work. The run of the mill Valvoline that was in it looked rough. An it only had maybe 300 miles on it. The ride home from the shop is only a mile so I didn't have time to even get up to temp. But the ticking and tapping was definitely gone which is a relief.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:23:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running hotter because of "wrong" oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.