Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird throttle issue... (Read 129 times)
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Weird throttle issue...
06/29/15 at 08:42:06

OK, going to try to give as much details as I can, i hope this makes sense.  I have already drilled out the little plug and made that adjustment.  I have replaced the jets in the lower 1/2 of the carb.  I have not yet done anything with the top side of the carb yet.

When i start the bike, 2005 S40, the idle is a bit lower as things are running a bot cool.  If i roll the throttle a bit off of idle, it starts crapping out.  To the point where the bike can complete die and has to be restarted.  If i roll the throttle past that point everything runs normal.

After she warms up, idle is faster than when cool, and rolling the throttle is more normal.

Thoughts?

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Weird throttle issue...
Reply #1 - 06/29/15 at 08:48:34

It sounds like the engine is running a bit on the lean side....nothing unusual about that in this EPA controlled world.  My Kawasaki Super Sherpa was so lean from the factory that you had to let it warm up a full 10 minutes before you could even begin to ride the bike (larger pilot jet cured that!).

You replaced the jets....What did you replace them with?

When you say you "made that adjustment"....what do you mean?  You turned the screw.....or you actually "adjusted" it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 06/29/15 at 08:54:34

JutMan wrote on 06/29/15 at 08:42:06:
OK, going to try to give as much details as I can, i hope this makes sense.  I have already drilled out the little plug and made that adjustment.  I have replaced the jets in the lower 1/2 of the carb.  I have not yet done anything with the top side of the carb yet.

What adjustment? What jets did you install?

JutMan wrote on 06/29/15 at 08:42:06:
When i start the bike, 2005 S40, the idle is a bit lower as things are running a bot cool.  If i roll the throttle a bit off of idle, it starts crapping out.  To the point where the bike can complete die and has to be restarted.  If i roll the throttle past that point everything runs normal.

After she warms up, idle is faster than when cool, and rolling the throttle is more normal.

Thoughts?

You should adjust the carb to run properly at normal operating temperature. When cold are you running it on or off choke?

We need more details about your jets, tuning and atmospheric conditions. What you describe could be a small adjustment...or completely normal.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/29/15 at 09:16:41

Sounds like you need to use the choke... Undecided...

Cold engine stumble is normal,.. that's why engines have chokes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/29/15 at 09:30:19

remember, give the guy a chance to reply or else we're inventing issues.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/29/15 at 11:14:42

After I did the cam, Supertrapp, jets, I hadda adjust the idle up when first started, then, as it came to operating temps, adjust idle. Its not aproblem. Knurled knob, easy,  Its just a biggo lawnmower motor. If some minor tinkering needs done to satisfy its needs, no biggee.

BUT, before you decide to accept it as is, do what these guys say. They Really know how the carb works. My pilot jet was stuck and I decided to just go with it..

Total miles on the bike is always good to share, what with the cam chain and all.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #6 - 06/30/15 at 10:13:46

Had to go back to ebay to find the jets..
I like in Eastern, PA for the location in the Poconos.

Main Jet: #150
Pilot Jet: #55 BS30/96

I adjusted the screw out about 1.5 turns then maybe a bit more. This was all done to try and eliminate the backfire, but she still backfires on shutdown and a bit when decelerating.  I also forgot to mention that I also replaced the muffler with a Dyna as recommended.

I have never tried to ride with the choke pulled.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 06/30/15 at 10:39:03

A 55 pilot and 1-1/2 turns out a fairly rich for the idle circuit. I'd start by screwing the screw in by 1/4 turn increments until the situation improves to your liking. If you're less than 3/4 turn, consider putting the stock 52.5 back in.

No matter how you mess with the jetting you'll never get rid of the afterfire. Learn to love it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #8 - 06/30/15 at 11:13:07

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 06/30/15 at 10:39:03:
A 55 pilot and 1-1/2 turns out a fairly rich for the idle circuit. I'd start by screwing the screw in by 1/4 turn increments until the situation improves to your liking. If you're less than 3/4 turn, consider putting the stock 52.5 back in.

No matter how you mess with the jetting you'll never get rid of the afterfire. Learn to love it.

I love the backfire, gets a bit of attention and the wife knows when I am home Smiley I will let it warm up before trying the 1/4 turns.  I do not think that I let it warm up before when I set it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/30/15 at 11:26:57

Go downtown, adjust at lights.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #10 - 07/02/15 at 04:37:21

Adjusted the screw full in and then out 1.5 turns to start a baseline.  I think it may have worked it's way out a little from the last adjustment.  I had to turn it in about 2 full turns to begin screwing it back out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weird throttle issue...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.