Rounded Oil Drain Plug (Read 458 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Rounded Oil Drain Plug
Reply #30 - 07/12/15 at 19:08:12

Cheers!  I Hope we get a ride report after you get the oil changed.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 07/12/15 at 19:26:06

Get a new crush washer.
Don't crush it..
You should never need to lay the bike down for an oil change.
Know what wrench fits,
The oil plug doesn't hold the bike together.. Whoever put that in musta been about nuts. Good thing it didn't wreck the case threads. The surface smooth?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #32 - 07/12/15 at 23:16:08

Good deal!  Glad to see you got it tackled.

I would suggest a new oil plug though, or have a mate weld a decent nut on it for you.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #33 - 07/13/15 at 00:42:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/12/15 at 19:26:06:
...Whoever put that in musta been about nuts....

Lol...nuts about bolts  Grin. Good one!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #34 - 07/13/15 at 06:09:14

Know what wrench fits,

I agree 100%. Here's a bit of advice. Take all of your 12-point box end wrenches and sockets, and put them somewhere so you can't find them. Use only 6-point wrenches and sockets and you'll never have another rounded bolt or nut ever again.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 07/13/15 at 06:39:01

Gary makes a point, but ,six sided box ends are scarce.
A twelve point is pretty much what's handy. Just don't overtighten. NEW CRUSH WASHER, inspect the case surface, needs to be flat, that plug is Long winded, I wrapped around it with string and spun it out.
Next oil change,you lay on starboard side, get wrench on , aimed forward, smack down. It should resist, pop loose and the weight of the wrench should fall, I held down and smacked the wrench.
Before you install the plug, get a wrench on it that has the least free play you can find, Mark the wrench so you're not guessing up in a hard place to see. I've etched and marked certain wrenches...
If you need a cheater pipe, you Did it wrong..I only used the other wrench or hammer to break it loose because it's an awkward angle and my shoulders don't like it.
I've never seen an oil plug cause such trauma.,,I wish I could have seen has much the wrench moved freely on the plug . With a six point, slop worries me, with a twelve point, it's not gonna take much slop before I'm gonna do something to solve that Before I round corners.
And don't be fooled by dirty bolt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 07/13/15 at 06:42:32

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 07/13/15 at 06:09:14:
Know what wrench fits,

I agree 100%. Here's a bit of advice. Take all of your 12-point box end wrenches and sockets, and put them somewhere so you can't find them. Use only 6-point wrenches and sockets and you'll never have another rounded bolt or nut ever again.

Yep....I did that.  I can't see the benefit of a 12 point socket, as the ratchet can be rotated easily to fit the 6 point socket on the hex head.

The 12 point box end or combination wrench puts very little wrench in contact with the hex and makes it easy to round off bolts/nuts - so all of my combination and box end wrenches are also 6 point.  If there is limited movement available....the 6 point ratchet wrenches help to get things off in a hurry.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #37 - 07/13/15 at 10:38:57

Lots of sound advice again everyone.  Smiley

I agree that lying the bike on it's side is a bit scary - but it's a tip I came across and as I don't have a bike jack my makeshift support meant there was no damage to the bike. I never would have gotten the drain plug off with the bike just on it's stand. There was an awful lot of trauma with this thing and I am really surprised as the bike has done less than 300 miles since it was bobbed, (not by me). I don't think the original builder changed the oil and at some point someone has really gone to work tightening the oil plug down. The good news is that the oil plug is out, there is no damage to the bike, a new plug is in, (tightened just 'snugly'), a new filter is in, new oil, (pepped up with some zddp additive), and after a brief test ride there are no leaks!

The next thing I am going to do is get some insulating tape on the tabs which the headlight rim screws onto. Another thread here indicates that this may be contributing to some of the vibrational noise I am coming across when riding, (and this is a hard tail after all).

In relation to the combination spanners I originally used - I have a decent Teng set and picked the size which seemed to fit snuggest, (bearing in mind it was difficult to see with the bike just on it's stand). This was all about 'feel', and I first used the open end of the spanner and originally thought I was getting the job done. It was only when I realised the 'movement' was the bolt starting to round that all the trauma began!

Anyway happy ending for now and once again thanks everyone.  Smiley

1993 Suzuki Savage based RYCA bobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 07/13/15 at 11:09:17

In your case, you had to lay it down. Normally, it's a low hassle, zero drama event. The drain pan can be a retired cake pan, only hasta hold two quarts.
Even a cut down milk jug. Easiest way i found was lay down on the starboard side of the bike and point that wrench forward, slap down, spanking with another wrench was usually how I got it.
Oil filter Can be installed backwards,, but, it nearly always destroys the engine. The o ring can stick to the back of the filter and wind up in the trash.
I recommend buying at least three filters at a time and having some o rings for the filter and the cover.and I like having crush washers around. Coupla gallons of Rotella and you'd be set for quite a while.
Being down because I need a fifty cent part that's twenty miles away doesn't make me happy.

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #39 - 07/13/15 at 12:24:44

Thanks Justin - good advice, (again!). We can't get Rotella in the UK but I have come across Mobil 4T Racing and Valvoline VR1. Both have a high ZDDP content - 1300ppm for the Mobil. I have used Mobil 4T this time around but it's expensive and I think I will go for the Valvoline next time as it's much cheaper, (£6 - £7 per litre or about £28 for 5 litres compared with £11 - £12 per litre for the Mobil). I haven't been able to identify the Rotella equivalent in the UK - but I'm sure it wouldn't be as cheap as you can get it over your side of the pond in any case. When it comes to fuel and oil we just get ripped off in the UK.

1993 Suzuki Savage based RYCA bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #40 - 07/13/15 at 18:44:36

I'm using Mobil 4T Racing 10W-40 currently and it's about $9/£5.81 per quart.  I can't imagine paying £12/$18.58 per quart  You guys have heavy taxes over there.  £2.63 per gallon duty and 20% VAT on the price of the fuel and the duty are directly taxed to the consumer.  There's also the PRT tax and the corporate taxes that get passed along indirectly.  Seems excessive but the taxes go for good things.  We need a higher taxes here since those specific taxes pay for our infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc), which any motorcyclist can tell you is in serious peril.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #41 - 07/13/15 at 20:20:26

Six point wrenches are great where you have room to swing them, but you don't always have that room, and a 12 point box end will usually do the trick
Of course on the oil plug some can get a socket on it, I never tried, I just used my (12 point) box wrench
I had a set of those Metrinch wrenches / sockets one time, and they were awesome, the box ends were six point, so they were of limited use working in an auto shop, but they hit the nuts / bolts on the flats, not the corners, and they NEVER slipped
Hell, you could round a bolt with another wrench, and the metrinch would get the sucker off
the other mechanics didn't like them, because they had a fair bit of play, but they never, ever rounded a bolt (you would twist the head off first)
I disagree we need more taxes, I think less waste is the answer, but that's a discussion for TT

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #42 - 07/13/15 at 20:31:59

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #43 - 07/13/15 at 20:59:41

I have the Matco Stubby set of those, though the 10mm is MIA atm
best (almost only) way to get the thermostat out of a GM 3.1l v6 in a Lumina without pulling the exhaust crossover or upper intake (even then it's a PITA)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rounded Oil Drain Plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.