tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Rounded Oil Drain Plug
06/27/15 at 10:31:40

Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum having recently required a RYCA 'bobbed' LS400. I'm no good at pics but the bike is on the RYCA site, (RYCAmotors.com), and it's the orange bobber near to the bottom of the customer builds page - built by Dave Theophilus in the UK.

The bike has supposedly only done 300 miles since the conversion but I decided to go for an oil change, especially after reading about the oil requirements of Savages on this site. We can't get Rotella or Mobil 1 V twin in the UK, but I did come across Mobil 4T Racing, which has a ZDDP rating of 1300 ppm. So armed with this, some East Coast ZDDP additive, a new oil filter and oil plug I was ready to start the job.  Smiley

First task - find the oil drainage plug. Nope couldn't locate this - so a quick scan of this site was required - and hey presto located in a flash. I then thought I should just check on any tips for removal. Once armed with these I thought I was ready and up for the task.

First attempt at removing the plug didn't work out too well as my socket wrench wouldn't fit into the gap between the plug and frame. So onto a combo spanner...

Using the 'ring' end I came to the conclusion that the drain pug was well and truly wedged and so may require a little more gentle persuasion - with a hammer.

Success! - or so I thought. The movement I was getting from tapping the spanner ever so gently turned out not to be the plug moving - just the spanner starting to round the bolt head. All stop! - and back to SuzukiSavage.com.  Smiley

Armed with further excellent info from this site I borrowed a variety of wrenches from the brother-in-law, (including a pipe wrench), and made a suitable construction so I could lie the bike on it's side. This was thrown together from a fishing chair, an old army kit bag, and the padding from a couple of sun loungers - and worked really well. I drained the fuel tank and carefully lay the bike on an angle using my makeshift support and started once again to attack the drain plug.

Most of the wrenches, however,  seemed too big to get a proper grip and even with the bike on its side a second attempt with a spanner yielded no joy.

End result a nicely rounded oil drain plug!  Sad

So gentlemen, (and ladies), what do I now have to do to continue with my oil change plan? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers.

1993 Suzuki Savage based RYCA bobber
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rounded Oil Drain Plug
Reply #1 - 06/27/15 at 10:52:25

since you have a new plug, grip it with a vice grip and give it a good smack with a hammer.

if the wrench is pointing down, give it a smack from the front going to the rear.

WWW   IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #2 - 06/27/15 at 11:00:49

verslagen1 wrote on 06/27/15 at 10:52:25:
since you have a new plug, grip it with a vice grip and give it a good smack with a hammer.

if the wrench is pointing down, give it a smack from the front going to the rear.

Cheers. The problem at the moment is that the grips I have available don't seem to fit in the available space, (even when I have the bike on it's side). Maybe I need to source a small vice grip?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/27/15 at 16:46:48

This is what I used when I had a similar problem.  Clamp it down as hard as you can and then give it a nice tap with a heavy mallet.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/27/15 at 16:55:19

I think I would like a very careful description of which way the wrench was being turned.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #5 - 06/28/15 at 01:40:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/27/15 at 16:55:19:
I think I would like a very careful description of which way the wrench was being turned.

With the bike supported on it's right hand side, (so the LHS,and oil drain plug, is pointing upwards, facing me), and with the wrench / spanner pointing down, it was being turned right - towards the back of the bike, (so I was attempting to turn the plug anti-clockwise)

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #6 - 06/28/15 at 01:42:37

chzeckmate wrote on 06/27/15 at 16:46:48:
This is what I used when I had a similar problem.  Clamp it down as hard as you can and then give it a nice tap with a heavy mallet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Jpv6g-wBL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks - is that a long nosed' vice grip?

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #7 - 06/28/15 at 01:52:49

Here are a couple of pics of the bike in question, (taken by the previous owner, Dan):

« Last Edit: 06/28/15 at 03:14:30 by tom3949 »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/28/15 at 03:26:00

Nice looking hardtail bobber off-road bike.....first one I have seen! Grin

OK.....Here is my normal oil drain plug speech.

The drain plug should only be "snug"....not tightened down with both hands.  The plug only needs to be tight enough to seal, it does not hold the engine into the frame.  Tighten it with a single hand and don't really crank down on it.....and I have gotten rid of all my 12 point wrenches and sockets and I only use 6 point tools anymore.

If you fail to get it out any other way, you can try cutting, filling or grinding some flats on the head so the vice grips can get a better bite - or take it to someone with a welder and weld a nut or old socket onto the plug to get it out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/28/15 at 04:02:27

tom3949 wrote on 06/28/15 at 01:42:37:
chzeckmate wrote on 06/27/15 at 16:46:48:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Jpv6g-wBL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks - is that a long nosed' vice grip?

Yes indeed...and should have it loose in a jiffy.  Listen to Dave, when you put the new one in just make it good and snug that's all you need.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #10 - 06/28/15 at 04:47:37

Thanks guys.

When I am in a position to fit the new plug I will certainly follow your advice! Am just on my way out to get my hands on some long nose vice grips.

And Dave - yes I'm sure this really is the first RYCA you have ever seen!  Grin

« Last Edit: 06/28/15 at 11:41:37 by tom3949 »  

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #11 - 06/30/15 at 09:41:14

Gentlemen - many thanks for all your advice. I have a pair of long nose vice grips on the way, and just in case they don't do the trick I also have my eye on a set of Irwin bolt removers - available from Screwfix in the UK at a decent price (£15). Will be looking to get my oil change sorted over the weekend, (I'm a teacher - no time mid week!).

Just one question before I get around to this though; all the info I have come across so far indicates I need 1.8 litres of oil, however I have just stumbled across a tech sheet on this site which seemed to indicate that 2.4 litres of oil is required if you are changing the oil filter. Is that correct?

« Last Edit: 06/30/15 at 12:39:48 by tom3949 »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/30/15 at 10:56:10

Volume? Not certain.
A coupla flat spots filed, ground, however. Give those grips something to grip.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/01/15 at 00:40:32

tom3949 wrote on 06/30/15 at 09:41:14:
Just one question before I get around to this though; all the info I have come across so far indicates I need 1.8 litres of oil, however I have just stumbled across a tech sheet on this site which seemed to indicate that 2.4 litres of oil is required if you are changing the oil filter. Is that correct?

If you put 2.4 litres (2.5 quarts) of oil in it you're going to have oil in your airbox and a full drain tube.  I put 2 quarts (1.9 litres) and it's right where I want it in the sight glass.  That's the upright way to do it.  

Some people like to keep the bike on the side stand and fill it until they can just see the oil in the sight glass.  That method will have my bike puking oil and I don't like that, but if you don't mind that, it's the easier way.  It's a matter of choice.

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #14 - 07/01/15 at 09:30:12

Cheers . I just wanted to make sure I had enough oil. I will put in 1.8 litres, (including ZDDP additive), and will then top up using the oil check window as necessary, (once I have the oil plug removed!).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:39:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rounded Oil Drain Plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.