Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion (Read 1094 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion
Reply #45 - 03/05/19 at 04:26:28

I was pretty disappointed with the mileage I got out of the Bridgestone Battlax BT45's - the front one has a blocky tread pattern on the sides and it wore out on the edges....while the back tire was supposed to have a harder rubber compound down the middle - but it got a big flat spot pretty quickly.  I had the BT45's on both bikes - on the little Ninja lasted about 8,000 miles and the front tire wore on the sides just like on the Suzuki - while on the rear of the Ninja you could see that the center tread compound was harder and the rubber was a slightly different color and you could see a small line where the rubber joined and the softer rubber wore a bit faster.  I never did see any evidence of a different rubber compound on the BT45 on the Savage, and the center of the tire wore very flat as if I was doing burnouts or just riding down the interstate....I was very dissatisfied with the way this tire wore out and I believe I only got around 5,000 miles out of both the front and rear.  

I am trying Michelin Pilot Sport Activ tires this time around as they are supposed to get good mileage.  The 90/90-18 front is on 2.15x18 rim and 130/70-18 rear is on 3.50x18 rim.  The front tire was very hard to get mounted - and it took about 5 tries of inflating/deflating/lubing to get the beads to seat.  The back tire was far easier to get mounted and seated the first try.  The tire carcass is very stiff on these tires - and I believe the "tubeless" beads make the tire harder to get seated than the old "tube" tires.  I hope to get a minimum of 8,000 miles from these new tires....and more even wear across the tread.  The tread cross section on these tires seems very round....I may not be able to get leaned over far enough to scrub the chicken strips off (I may have to get out the belt sander to get any "street cred" with the wear going all the way to the edge).

« Last Edit: 03/05/19 at 06:59:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #46 - 03/05/19 at 06:33:38

(I may have to get out the belt sander).  

I did  that on my drive belt once !  Wink

You know what Dave , you were right about the 110/90-16 on the mag wheel I put on the savage .   I think the rim is a 2.5" and I don't miss that extra tire width ... I wasn't using it anyway.   It was just extra weight the motor was having to sling for no reason .   The bike corners just as good and feels lighter to boot !  Smiley

The front is 1.85" with a 90/90-19   , they just look skinny but feel just as secure once the bike is rolling.

I hope to give a millage report latter in the year.   In 110/90-16 there ain't many to pick from .
I can get a 120/90-16 in AM26 next time .  

side_view_Mags_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 03/05/19 at 07:05:32

With your 16" rim...you likely can get by with a 90 series height - it would be too tall for me with my 18" rim.

For my Cafe' bike rear using a 2.50x18 rim....I am going to try the 120/80-18 size - I think it is the proper sized tire for the back of the Savage Cafe' and is a good size match for a 90/90-18 front.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #48 - 03/05/19 at 07:58:30

I was just looking , the AM26 comes in 120/80-16 too !    I got ta  wear out this 110 first  .... "Come-on Warm weather ! "  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 03/05/19 at 10:05:15

Front tire was worn on the sides.....likely from trail braking into the corners and aggressive cornering on tight/low speed curves.

The rear tire is worn badly down the center.....I have no idea why?  The sides show very little wear, the middle shows a bunch.  I wonder if they goofed and to the soft rubber in the center and the hard rubber on the edges?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #50 - 03/05/19 at 19:35:48

I've found a steady diet of front braking takes that center grove off the front  but I must not be trail braking .    So all that heavy braking in the first part of the curves causes that ?    
It does make sense to lean , slow the front tire so the rear tire starts to pass the front  ...  then pour the fuel to it to help the rear come on around into a broad-side motion then release the front brake and "un-lean" into the exit.  
But
That sounds kinda scary !

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #51 - 05/21/19 at 08:58:09

I have come to believe the Avon Road Rider AM26 may be a really good tire for the Cafe' bikes.  MMRanch is running them on his Moto Guzzi right now, and he is getting very good wear from them, and they are providing exceptional traction and handling.

On this last visit down to the mountains in TN/NC/GA, MM was able to lean his Guzzi all the way over to the edge of the tread and wipe out all the "chicken strips".  We also saw a fellow using the Road Riders on a Triumph Street Twin....and the fellow leans over so far that the ends of his pegs are ground off and he even commented that one time the shifter hit the pavement and changed gears mid corner!

I installed the Michelin Sport Activ - but so far I have not ridden on them more than a few miles.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 07/20/19 at 08:18:05

I have put about 500 miles on the Michelin Pilot Active tires......at first I thought they were unsafe on this bike and the ride was horrible - it turns out the new rear shocks were bottoming out and making the choppy ride.

The casing on the tires is incredibly stiff and I had a real battle getting them mounted on the rims.  It might be this helps for tread life, as the tire will not squirm as much and that may help prevent the rubber from being scrubbed away.

Time will tell how these hold up - so far they stick really nice.

« Last Edit: 08/08/19 at 05:41:11 by Dave »  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #53 - 07/20/19 at 19:17:50

I'm thinking the rear one (AM26)on the guzzi will be gone by 12,000 miles , but its a gripper !  Smiley

But , if ya ever want a really long lasting tire I've tried those Commander II's   and know they are good for 20,000 miles or more !  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 07/21/19 at 03:45:59

MMRanch wrote on 07/20/19 at 19:17:50:
But , if ya ever want a really long lasting tire I've tried those Commander II's   and know they are good for 20,000 miles or more !  

They don't make the Michelin Commander in 18" diameter that will fit on my rims (90/90-18 front, 120/80-18 or 130/70-18 rear).

If the Avon AM26 tires last to 12,000 miles, that will be twice what I get out of the Pirelli Sport Demons or Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:32:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.