Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion (Read 1094 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion
Reply #30 - 03/17/17 at 09:11:53

These are the numbers listed for the Avon AM26 ....just for a comparison of diameters.

110/80-18.....OD 25.2"
120/80-18.....OD 25.7"
120/90-18.....OD 26.6"
130/70-18.....OD 25.6"

So....that 120/90 is pretty durn tall!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #31 - 02/24/18 at 10:51:02

I know this is about cafe bike tire size but it seemed like a decent place to ask the question. I have an 85 GS550L wheel sitting in my garage. 16x2.5. Everything I can find lists the factory size as 130/90. Does that seem too wide? I know you say it does on an 18x2.5 but would that still hold true for the 16” wheel?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 02/24/18 at 18:11:54

snels516 wrote on 02/24/18 at 10:51:02:
I have an 85 GS550L wheel sitting in my garage. 16x2.5. Everything I can find lists the factory size as 130/90. Does that seem too wide? I know you say it does on an 18x2.5 but would that still hold true for the 16” wheel?

Look at that tire fitment chart on the first page.....the rim diameter doesn't seem to matter - it is the rim width that matters.

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #33 - 02/24/18 at 18:17:21

The box for 130/90 is gray but doesn’t have the STD in it for a 2.5” rim. I guess I’ll just see how it goes. Like I said, it seems to be the factory size as far as I can tell. Doesn’t mean that Suzuki is always right tho.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 02/25/18 at 03:52:02

The Tire fitment chart on the first page of this thread shows a 130/90 tire will fit a rim width of 2.50 up to 3.50.  The tall sidewalls are flexible and allow a pretty wide range of rims.

However....the 2.50 is the narrowest rim the 130/90 tire should be installed on - the tread cross section will be rounder than it would be on a wider rim, and you may have tread rolled over on the edges that you may never be able to access while cornering...and the center of the tire may wear a bit faster than it would on a wider rim.

« Last Edit: 01/11/19 at 02:48:27 by Dave »  

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #35 - 02/25/18 at 07:17:01

Ok thank you. I think that’s where I was in my head I just didn’t quite articulate it. The taller sidewall affecting the range of rims it can be used on. Thanks Dave.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 10/09/18 at 09:29:36

Well I just had an "awakening" last weekend.

I rode my Ninja Cafe' on a 1,351 mile trip spanning 4 days.  I installed a brand new set of Pirelli Sport Demons ($257.47) before I left, and measured the tread depth.  My riding was pretty conservative and I rode at the speed limits, and did very little aggressive cornering.

Upon returning I was surprised to discover I had used up 22% of the rear tread and 16% of the front.....so I can expect the rear will be worn out at 6,000 miles and the front at 8.000 miles.  This is pretty typical of the tire life I have experienced with sport touring tires - but in the past I was just too busy to allow me to ride more than 2,000 miles a year.....and I could get 3 years out of a tire.

My tire expense works out to be around 4.2 cents per mile.....my fuel expense was almost the same at 4.3 cents per mile (64mpg & $2.75 a gallon).

So.....as much fun as sticky tires can be - they are not cheap!  I finally understand why folks are going darkside or looking for affordable long mileage tires and being tolerant of some slipping/sliding in the rain!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #37 - 10/09/18 at 13:35:32

Dave wrote on 10/09/18 at 09:29:36:
I rode my Ninja Cafe' on a 1,351 mile trip [cut]

Upon returning I was surprised to discover I had used up 22% of the rear tread and 16% of the front.....so I can expect the rear will be worn out at 6,000 miles and the front at 8.000 miles.  This is pretty typical of the tire life I have experienced with sport touring tires - but in the past I was just too busy to allow me to ride more than 2,000 miles a year.....and I could get 3 years out of a tire.

This trip was not indicative of your typical ride profile. Nor is it indicative of the typical trip for a sport touring tire. Since you were mostly slamming down the interstate the center section of the tire saw the majority of use, as opposed to 50-75%. Also, the tire was probably operating at a higher than normal temperature. Both of these conditions would result in greater wear.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 10/09/18 at 14:05:22

You are likely correct....if I continue to ride this Ninja like a touring bike - the center of the tires will be worn and the edges will be like new!

I better take a trip down to the Tail of the Dragon so I can even up the tread! Wink

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #39 - 10/11/18 at 11:11:21

So.....as much fun as sticky tires can be - they are not cheap!  I finally understand why folks are going darkside or looking for affordable long mileage tires and being tolerant of some slipping/sliding in the rain!  

Yea Dave ,   Welcome to my world !  Grin

Its worse on a heavy bike .

They don't make Commander II's in Sport Bike sizes .    The first AM-26 Avon I ran on the front of a Savage ran 40,000 + miles and dry-rotted with 1/3 of the tread left.   You know how I am about front brakes too.

Don't know how long the rear AM-26 (130/90-17) on the Guzzi will last ?   But I got 5,500 miles out of the rear Demon to the wear bars , and about 7,000 from the front Demon .  

Hay ?    
You ain't going Dark-Side on us are ya ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 10/11/18 at 16:43:08

MMRanch wrote on 10/11/18 at 11:11:21:
You ain't going Dark-Side on us are ya ?   Huh

No - but I am willing to explore a tire that lasts longer than the Pirelli Sport Demon or the Bridgestone Battlax BT45.

I believe my next set of tires is going to be the Michelin Pilot Sport Activ for my next set......since you are testing the Avon AM26.
https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-pilot-activ-...

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #41 - 10/11/18 at 17:06:41

.since you are testing the Avon AM26.  

About 3,000 miles on the rear so far and its not even got a flat spot in the middle yet .  Smiley
If the tread didn't look like something off a Sports Bike then I'd think it was a Cruiser tire !  Grin

I've yet to check it out on a slick-wet road like the one we found in N.Georga while I was on the Harley/CommanderII.     Sliding around trying to keep up with you and that light bike and soft tires !  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stinkywheels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 01/02/19 at 12:15:43

Has anyone done anything with 17" rims? Being new to building I was thinking the 17s would be plentiful and maybe cheap as they come on bikes as small as the 250/390 bikes and similar in weight. I've been riding and modifying bikes for 30+ years. This Savage is my first try at turning a cruiser into something a little sportier.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 01/11/19 at 03:00:50

stinkywheels:

There is a larger selection of tires available for 17" diameter - however most of them are catered toward sport bikes and motards, and it requires very wide rims.  I avoided using 17" wheels as I did not want my bike to look like a motard/super moto or Grom where the tire diameter seems really small compared to the size of the motorcycle.

The problem we have with the 18" wheels for the Savage, is that the tires are mostly catered to vintage bikes or sport touring bikes, and there really is not any "long mileage" tires available - the choices are limited to tires that wear out in 8,000 miles or less.  The Michelin Sport Active and the Avon AM26 Road Rider may be the highest mileage options.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 03/03/19 at 07:35:53

This needs to be placed somewhere handy.....I have needed this chart and didn't know it existed - until now.

It is odd that tires are often listed in metric sizes - but tubes are not.

https://www.campusskooters.com/tire-size-conversion-chart

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 03:07:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.