Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Words Mean Nothing - SCOTUS Obaamcare Ruling (Read 205 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Words Mean Nothing - SCOTUS Obaamcare Ruling
Reply #15 - 06/26/15 at 14:54:53

The point is,.. only in America is it an issue...
There have been numerous accounting's of the healthcare crisis in America in the past decade or so...
If you think everything is fine,.. you just aren't connected with the reality of most people...
I think some of your poorer friends might be some of my rich friends...
Different realities...Grin...

We seem to be arguing as to whether there is even a problem, rather than what's the best solution...
Recognizing the problem, and admitting it, is first step to fixing it.

We're not paying triple or more for healthcare equivalent to Kobe beef, here.. while other countries eat hamburger...
We're just buying more expensive hamburger...
Maybe slightly better than some,.. not so good as others...
The quality is not the difference, it's the price...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #16 - 06/26/15 at 17:09:39

Cost of Medical Care : My 96 year old mother went to the ER last month and spent 5 days in the hospital. The bill for hospital services alone (No ambulance or doctors fees) was $18,477.06 .          Yes, she has Medicare that pays most of it. BUT how would a person in an accident or sick and without insurance pay for a bill like this ???????              Even more extreme, my daughter was hit by a drunk driver (the Ba...rd's 3rd DUI) she spent 21 days in ICU, the medical expenses in the 3&1/2 years since are in excess of 2 MILLION dollars and will continue to rise for the rest of her life.   It is a good thing my son-in-law has good insurance because the walking corpse had everything in his wife's name since his first DUI.....       Medical insurance IS NOT A LUXURY in this day and age.      

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #17 - 06/26/15 at 17:10:15

As an English-financial-contributor to our NHS, I can read what Serow has written and know that we not only agree, but are from the same 'mindset'.....

Remember, those that look at Obama's view on healthcare, that here we've had over half a century of National Health Service....and as a society, I believe that we are much better for it...

(sorry, oldindian, we posted together simultaneously  Wink )

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/26/15 at 18:00:28

IMO, health care is a mess. I , based on everything I've seen, I only see it heading downhill. I'm on record. The past is just a prelude.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #19 - 06/26/15 at 20:39:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/26/15 at 18:00:28:
IMO, health care is a mess. I , based on everything I've seen, I only see it heading downhill. I'm on record. The past is just a prelude.

Nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be....

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #20 - 06/27/15 at 08:48:40

To All -
I agree that changes were needed, and as I've said before, simply outlawing preexisting condition exclusions and lifetime maximum benefits would have solved 90% of the problem.  Obamacare did both, thankfully, but it then went too far with the subsidies.
Insurance is like anything else - supply and demand.  The law should have simply required everyone to procure insurance in a given degree of coverage, like we do for auto insurance, and stopped there.
The reason that health insurance has always been expensive is that insurance is a risk spreading device.  The insurer collects premium from low and high risk people, and from that basket of dollars, pays out claims.
Before, young healthy people we free to not buy health insurance, effectively denying the insurer those premium dollars from the low risk group.  So the insurer is left insuring the high risk group, generally middle age and older folks, who have claims.
You can either require everyone to buy insurance, without subsidies, or require everyone to pay tax into a gov't run system.  Effect is the same for coverage, except that anytime the gov't runs anything, it's less efficient and more costly than private companies doing the same.
Of course gov't has to provide for the armed forces, police, fire protection, highways, and other essential gov't functions.  Health insurance isn't one of them.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 06/27/15 at 09:13:31

Then why is it that every country with a national health, does it for less than half of what we pay now?...
It's not our super superior technology or skill...
Even simple procedures...

An appendix removal can cost between $1.500 to $180,000 depending on where you take the surgery
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/study-hospitals-billings-shocks-...

The degree of price variations is bought home in a new report by the London-based International Federation of Health Plans, representing 100 insurance companies. The average cost of a CT scan for the head is (US$)
$82 in Argentina,
$175 in UK
$566 in America.
The highest prices for what is a routine procedure can be around US$1,672 in America, according to figures from the World Health Organisation and OECD.

On the surgical front, average prices for appendix removal are (all US$):

Argentina 953
Spain 2,245
South Africa 3,381
UK 3,408
Chile 4,221
France 4,463
Netherlands 4,498
Switzerland 4,782
New Zealand 5,392
Australia 5,467
USA 8,156

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #22 - 06/27/15 at 10:25:03

Stats like these tell only the part of the story that the writer wants to be told.  For instance, what are the malpractice laws in each of these countries?  Can a patient who is the victim of professional negligence get a legal recovery from the person whose negligence injured or killed him?  If the medical providers have immunity, or if the laws of that country limit recovery, of course care is cheaper there.
What are the average wages of all of the staff involved from the surgeon, to the OR nurse, to the after surgery docs and nurses, all of the way down to the janitor who cleans up the OR after the procedure?
You have to compare apples to apples.  In the U.S., a surgical nurse earns more money than does a surgeon in many parts of the world.  Some countries give immunity to their national health service providers, while others severely restrict recovery.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #23 - 06/28/15 at 10:04:41

"Tort Reform" is a major issue between the Medical and Legal professions in this country. The cost of malpractice insurance is a/ the major factor in most medical practices.    And with the restricted amounts Medicare pays many doctors are no longer accepting Medicare patients or are leaving the profession all together.   I was told recently by a young doctor that for him to open his own office, he would have to pay a $100,000 premium for malpractice insurance before he could accept his first patient.  
AND if you believe that government provided health care is the way to go, we'll put you in the VA and see what you think of that.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #24 - 06/28/15 at 10:31:14

if you believe that government provided health care is the way to go, we'll put you in the VA and see what you think of that.   [/quote]

I've been in our local VAMC system for over 5 years & have no complaints or issues
co pay on  meds is my only cash outlay

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
cobra0071
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/28/15 at 14:11:21

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 06/28/15 at 15:13:24

I think cobra made a point.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 06/28/15 at 15:22:25

Grin...

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 07/16/15 at 21:23:12

thumperclone wrote on 06/28/15 at 10:31:14:
if you believe that government provided health care is the way to go, we'll put you in the VA and see what you think of that.  

I've been in our local VAMC system for over 5 years & have no complaints or issues
co pay on  meds is my only cash outlay

[/quote]
but we have vets in other places unable to receive treatment
Austin doesn't have a VA hospital, and travel pay is given to a vet after arrival if he has to travel to a VA facility, or that's how it was back then
Know what my old man was doing when he wound up a cripple for the 3 years he lasted before he died?
Walking from Austin to the nearest VA hospital in SA to get treatment because he was unemployed at that time and didn't have a car or money for a bus ticket
20 years of service, veteran of a foreign war, and he either was hit by a car or fell asleep on his feet walking and fell from an overpass (those are our two best guesses, he had no memory of the incident) because the VA wouldn't let hum go to a local hospital because it was too expensive
Yay government insurance
they did take good care of my mom, after she reache retirement age (she was already in a nursing home)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 07/17/15 at 17:12:16

Mr. Webb, words fail.. I feel gut punched.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 02:30:39

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Words Mean Nothing - SCOTUS Obaamcare Ruling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.