Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Words Mean Nothing - SCOTUS Obaamcare Ruling (Read 205 times)
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Words Mean Nothing - SCOTUS Obaamcare Ruling
06/25/15 at 13:56:25

I struggled with the title because I am not sure what the SCOTUS did exactly. They didn't interpret or clarify some poorly worded legalese nor did they open or close some loophole, rather, they ignored what the words said and just went with a definition provided by the defense.

The country we all grew up in is gone and has been replaced by what we have now. Rules and laws mean nothing until the government applies them to you. In this case we all know that the healthcare subsidies were intentionally tied to State exchanges to compel the States into creating exchanges and managing Obamacare on behalf of the Fed.

Now, the SCOTUS says law, schmaw, everyone gets subsidies just because. Who even knows what is going on anymore in this country? What is legal? Is anything legal or is there just a punishment waiting for you when it is found you pissed off some bureaucrat?

A pillar of our country was toppled today, was it the last one? If not, how many more do we have left?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Words Mean Nothing - SCOTUS Obaamcare Ruling
Reply #1 - 06/25/15 at 14:32:09

Clearly, the definition of words can't be expected to remain static.
No means yes.
Couple that with the TPP, I don't see how this works out well for the people.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 06/25/15 at 17:26:56

Rep. Brian Babin (R-Texas) said that his SCOTUScare Act would make all nine justices and their employees join the national healthcare law’s exchanges.

Great idea,but,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/25/15 at 18:28:02

I'm all for it...  
Some anti-Obama tried to find a loophole in the wording of the law to shut down Obamacare, and SCOTUS decided that the intention of the law was to provide care for everyone...
That was the intention... and no one doubt's that...

Rather than getting hung up on grammar or wording, they looked at what the law was intended to do...
They aren't there to grade English papers they are there to interpret laws...
Good for them... for once... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/26/15 at 04:53:18

obama's got a picture of Roberts poking a goat or something.....

so according to Roberts, everytime you read the word States in the 10th amendment, you really are reading the words Federal Government ....

so the powers not granted the Feds are reserved .....for the Feds?....huh?...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/26/15 at 06:17:16

The disconnect from reality is just too shocking.
The time to type it out, only to be ignored, naah.
I
Understand the
Heart
Desire for all to have something so important.
This will not work. It can not work.
This will ruin whats left of our medical system.
Does no one remember the 70s? For thirty bucks a month I had a BCBS card, walk in any office, and get help.
Then the Govt decided the system needed fixed.
Like the school system I WATCHED them sabotagge,  
Couple that inevitable failure with it being upside down,
180 out from the constitution.
Toss in the TPP and there just isn't much America left.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/26/15 at 10:09:44

JOG,.. what you don't understand is BCBS in the 60's and 70's was a non-profit, tax exempt, service and worked in conjunction with the fed govn't...
At that time,... health services were heading the right direction, and was on track to become a national health...
HMO's destroyed it...
Obamacare is getting us back towards those days.
This current system is much more similar to the old BCBS than pre Obama...

The countries in grey don't have a national health...
You'll notice the US is the only modern, industrialized country in that group...
All the other 1st world countries have better health care at less than half the price we pay.
So,.. we can't afford to have healthcare at less than half of what we pay now?...
That makes no sense... Undecided...

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 06/26/15 at 11:00:31

Bot -
I take issue with your statement that those countries with national health plans have better care than do we.  Simply not true.
Why does every wealthy Arab Sheik come to Mayo, Mt. Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, or M.D. Anderson in Austin for serious medical conditions when he could easily go to Europe? These people can afford to go anywhere and buy nearly anything.
Simple - U.S. medicine is the most advanced in the world, and maybe the most expensive.  Like the guy selling coffee on TV in the 1960s - you get what you pay for.
We have the most advanced cardiac, cancer, neurologic, and osteopathic care available in the world.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/26/15 at 11:02:29

Correct, I didn't know about BCBS.
I disagree about it getting better , time will tell. I WANT   to be wrong.
I want Americans to have health care, affordabe, good,, health care.

A ppoint you made about developed nations/health care, I. Me, I have doubts about how wonderful it is. Ive heard reports that certainly didn't impress me and I knew a nice old Brit dude who died. Seeing his posts about the
Service
werent making me jealous.
I would like to hear from our
Across the Pond
friends.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/26/15 at 12:08:52

Jog,..you forget... I am British born... Mostly grew up there... and my remaining family is there now...
I have used the National Health...  I was hit by a car on my bicycle when I was 15... Smashed the left side of my face.  Broke nose, eye swollen shut, torn eyelid, socket fractured, loosened teeth, torn lip.  Plus body bruising...
I also split my head open in Germany... got stitches...
Both times I was seen in minutes.  Treated well.  Cost nothing...
Plus various viruses, cuts and bruises of childhood.
Waiting rooms were not lavish,... and beds weren't the Ritz, but that's not what I want to pay for anyway... (when I'm sick I'm not on a vacation)...
Good, fast treatment, and send me home... thank you...

Both my grandparents there, lived to 90+...
My US born father here, died at 48 in surgery for a bypass...
...and I'm not saying some Sheik can't come here and go to a preeminent hospital and pay a fortune for the best surgery in the world.  Although there are many rich Americans and Arab Sheiks that go to Europe for special treatments not available here, also...
If you have unlimited money,.. you go where you get the best...
...But that has zero to do with our care...

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 06/26/15 at 12:27:28

Bot -
I again take issue with your characterization that being the best in the world has nothing to do with our care.  A good friend of my family was diagnosed with uterine cancer 3 1/2 years ago.  She had the surgery, all of the female organs removed, but some cancer showed up in the pathology test in the lymph nodes, so she had stage 4b cancer - the worst.  Statistical life expectancy was 13-22 months.
Today, 39 months out, she is cancer free, due to the advanced chemo she received at the world class cancer center at Ohio State University.
She is a middle class woman of no particular wealth, nor high social standing.  She got the care that any woman in her shoes would have received.
No disrespect to the U.K., I love the country and was even stationed there for a short time eons ago, but I doubt her result would have been the same in a NHS facility.  Cancer patients are considered cured after 5 years with no recurrence.  So, in 21 more months, she'll be considered cured.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/26/15 at 13:52:06

Which country has the finest care, is debatable...
Affordability is not...
Only in America can you be bankrupted by healthcare cost...
In fact,.. it's number one reason for bankruptcy...
That, involves an untold cost, that we all pay for, and isn't even in the calculations of care cost.

Skatergirl here, got cancer,.. she had a good job with a good health insurance.
...and she not only died... but lost her job and insurance, and ended up losing her house, and moving in with her mother.  Her two children will have no inheritance.  Everything their mother worked for will be gone.
Taken away by her cancer...
Never happens in any other civilized country.

Healthcare that can't be afforded, isn't good care...
Elderly here, sometimes used to go to the doctor, only to get a script that they couldn't pay for... (basically a diagnosis that you can't afford treatment)...
These days are ending now... I think that makes US care much better. Wink...

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 06/26/15 at 13:59:37

I remember Skater Girl.  But I don't know why she lost her health insurance just because she could not continue in her job - COBRA should have kept her insurance.
Also don't know why she had to lose the house.  American bankruptcy laws protect the primary residence for most people; there are exceptions, but not many.
Perhaps she never got the right advice from the right person - who knows, but the results aren't typical for someone who had a job and had insurance.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/26/15 at 14:20:56

Maybe not technically...
http://ask.metafilter.com/125742/Do-people-lose-their-homes-over-health-expenses

You shouldn't need a lawyer to get healthcare either... Grin...
Of all the times to be put under such pressure,...people dealing with serious health issues are focused on bills instead of caring...

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 06/26/15 at 14:27:03

You don't need a lawyer to advise you on COBRA.  The employer is legally required to send a notice about it to any employee who quits, gets laid off, or gets fired.  I wonder if she got the notice and ignored it.
As for keeping a house, sure it takes a lawyer to do a bankruptcy, but a simple, individual bankruptcy is dirt simple, and the cost is minimal.
I realize that people who are very sick, and facing a terminal illness may not be thinking about such things.  That's why we owe it to our family members and friends in that circumstance to get them the advise that they need.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 02:38:22

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Words Mean Nothing - SCOTUS Obaamcare Ruling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.