Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine locked up going about 70 mph... (Read 439 times)
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine locked up going about 70 mph...
06/24/15 at 21:11:33

Okay so to start off I guess ill say that I own a 1995 savage. Motor has been bored out by the people at bore-tech in ohio when I decided to go to the 96 mm piston. I also change the stock carb to a VM36 mikuni with a 195 main and a 30 pilot jet. The rebuild only has about 300 miles max on it. Ran fine until the other day.

So the other day I am crusing about 70 mph down route one when all of the suddenly the engine just stops....rear wheel just starts sliding back and forth so I pull the clutch in as fast as I could and make my way to the shoulder.

A few days before I took the bike out I thought I was running a little rich so I figured I would change the pilot jet to something a little smaller so I went from the 30 to the only other one I had which was a 20. Yes I know that's a big jump in jet size but if I read on here correctly that is the starting point for a vm. My guess is that I leaned it out and over heated it. The engine starts up fine just smokes a lot from burning oil. Also I went ahead and did a compression check and is about 125 psi. Next I went ahead and took the engine apart and the piston skirts are all scratched up and the oil rings are completely stuck from the burr that came off the piston skirts. As far as the cylinder walls go there are a few scratches which don't look to bad and everything else looked fine.

Id like to hear some advice from people as far as what jet sizes they run in their carbs (vm carbs not the stock carbs)

What else could have caused this? Maybe over revving?
Ill take some pictures of the piston and cylinder walls when I get some free time.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Re: Engine locked up going about 70 mph...
Reply #1 - 06/24/15 at 21:52:41

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer you in terms of technical advice, but I saw this post and got a lump in my throat.

I rode a Kawi 4-banger back 25 yrs ago as a daily driver. Never got the speed up to even close to 90, just drove it like a basic business man commuter bike. My ONLY fear was that a chain or wheel (or MOTOR) would suddenly lock up at speed. It actually used to terrify me quite a bit ( I lived on Long Island in NY and drove the LIE).

I am sorry about your mechanical troubles, but I am thanking GOD that you managed to get the bike off the road safely.

I have always been "boring". I dont push the envelope, hell...ANY envelope Grin The closest I ever came to it was back in my Coast Guard days which were a lifetime ago. When I decided..at the ripe old age of 55...to start riding again, I bought a Savage BECAUSE it was a bit docile. 45 mph on a country road is perfect for me. SEVENTY? Maybe on a Goldwing lol.

I hope you get her back together and rubber side down real soon.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/25/15 at 03:51:36

Changing the Pilot Jet from a 30 to a 20 most likely had little to do with your problem.  The Pilot jet only controls the fuel mixture at idle to about 1/8th throttle.....at 70 mph you will be using the slide needle or main jet the majority of the time and that will be controlling the fuel mix.  When you set the idle (air) screw on the carb at idle.....how many turns in/out was the screw?  If the screw was less than 1 turn you should have tried a larger ......if you were around 1.5 turns the jet is the correct size....anything more than 2 turns and the pilot jet is too big.  (This is opposite the stock carb as the VM carb uses and air screw and not a fuel screw like the stock CV carb).

I really trust Bore Tech to do a good job and get the proper clearances, and until proven otherwise I would suspect the failure was either heat or lubrication related.  I have the 95mm in mine and I can't remember how many miles I was easy on the rpm and avoided sustained high rpm......but maybe you didn't give it enough break-in miles or as you suggested maybe the engine was running lean.

I have the 34mm VM carb on mine and feel that it is plenty of carb for the Savage - so my jetting numbers aren't going to be much use to you for comparing what jets to try.  What does your spark plug look like?  What color is the carbon on the piston and valves?

I believe that you should get your cylinder lightly honed, buy a new 96mm Wiseco and check the piston clearance, and then put it back together and go easy on it for a while......60 mph and below for the first 500 miles, and avoid any prolonged running at higher speeds.  When I had the Trailtech Vapor on my bike it had a cylinder head temperature gauge.  At back road speeds between 30-50 mph the head temperature was 250-270 degrees, at sustained 60 mph speeds it would climb to 280.....at 70 mph it would climb to nearly 300 degrees.

Where do you live.....what was the air temperature when the engine locked up?  What kind and weight of oil where you using?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/25/15 at 07:51:00

I wish I could offer some help but this is out of my scope.  I just want to say, I'm glad the incident ended with you alive and unharmed.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/25/15 at 08:02:51

Engine oil is Rotella T 15-40. I called bore tech this morning and told them what happened the lady said she will have the machinist give me a call sometime today. I think I could get away with using another 96 mm and just have him hone it out.

The wall clearance seems very tight Anyone have experiences with forged pistons as far as piston to wall clearance goes?

I don't think I was running lean the more I look at the top of the piston and the spark plug. Top of piston have plenty of carbon on it except where the oil hit it and took it off. The spark plug is black with no signs of detonation.

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/25/15 at 08:10:17

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/25/15 at 08:11:43

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 06/25/15 at 08:14:52

Wow, so much to discuss with just a single photo.

- What is the condition of the wrist-pin bearing?
- How does the main bearing look?
- Are you sure that you have adequate oil pressure?
- Is the scoring similar on the other side of the piston?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/25/15 at 08:29:32

Bill Moeller at Boretech is the fellow who can tell you what the piston clearance should be.....he has been doing this for years and years and is the "Go To Guy" for this kind of work.  His only business is working on motorcycle cylinders and heads.....he "knows" his stuff and I believe he is the only one working at the shop.  He did the bore for my Wiseco and I have 6,000 miles on it....and I have ridden it pretty darn hard once I got 500 miles on it.  It runs great!

There area lot of possibilities about why this occurred....I have no problem with the oil you are using as I use the same oil.  It could be that it got too hot, maybe it was running too rich and the extra gas was washing the oil off the cylinder walls...dunno!  The weird thing in that photo is how the area between the holes in the ring grooves looks fine....while directly below the holes the scoring starts.  The top of the piston also looks like it has a lot of carbon for only having 300 miles on it.

You need to forward those photos to Bill at Boretech and get his comments....he really is the expert.

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/25/15 at 08:31:46

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 06/25/15 at 08:14:52:
Wow, so much to discuss with just a single photo.

- What is the condition of the wrist-pin bearing?
- How does the main bearing look?
- Are you sure that you have adequate oil pressure?
- Is the scoring similar on the other side of the piston?

-Wrist pin is fine, no marks or scaring at all.
-Don't know about the main bearing I haven't taken it apart that far and don't plan to.
-As far as oil pressure goes I don't know how I would check that and if that was the problem my cams would have been all screwed up and they look fine.
-And yes its identical on the other side.

Honestly im thinking that there wasn't enough clearance in the cylinder walls.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 06/25/15 at 09:09:31

I'd agree...although this is for 2 stroke engines it sure looks like the multi-point seize.
http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/piston_diag_guide.htm

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/25/15 at 09:10:00

with that much caking on top of the piston, I'd say you had oil ring failure possibly from the start.
but at least it shows you were getting oil up there.
I don't know how oil gets up there other than splash.

How much oil was left in the case when it seized?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/25/15 at 09:35:57

Colxjon wrote on 06/24/15 at 21:11:33:
So the other day I am cruising about 70 mph down route one when all of the suddenly the engine just stops.....

Can you give a bit more of the details about the ride?

Had you been riding for a while....engine fully warmed up and 20 miles into the ride, etc.  Or did this occur right at the beginning of the ride or right after a pause in the action?

Was the fuel tank nearly full......had some gas....or nearly to reserve?

How was the oil level after the bike stopped?

How did you get the bike home?  Did the engine become free once it cooled down and you rode it home?

In the time I have been on this forum I know of 2 other Wiseco piston failures.  One occurred as yours did, on the first ride where the bike was run up to 70 mph (not a Boretech job), and the other one occurred after the bike had a lot of miles on it and was started after being in storage for 3 years (was a Boretech job).  There have been a lot of stock piston failures when the owners just run them out of oil.

I searched around on the internet for Wiseco piston clearances...and evidently it is not a standard that they publish.  I believe I still have the sheet from Wiseco that came with my piston....I will try and find it and see if it lists any numbers.  

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/25/15 at 09:55:19

Dave wrote on 06/25/15 at 09:35:57:
Colxjon wrote on 06/24/15 at 21:11:33:
So the other day I am cruising about 70 mph down route one when all of the suddenly the engine just stops.....

Can you give a bit more of the details about the ride?

Had you been riding for a while....engine fully warmed up and 20 miles into the ride, etc.  Or did this occur right at the beginning of the ride or right after a pause in the action? I had probably rode at least 20 miles from the time I started the bike so i know it was completely warmed up. I then decided to jump onto route one which is a highway so i know i was at least doing 65. I was probably only on that road for a mile when it locked up on me.

Was the fuel tank nearly full......had some gas....or nearly to reserve?
Tank has about a half tank right now.

How was the oil level after the bike stopped?
Oil level was fine, that was one of the first things I checked.

How did you get the bike home?  Did the engine become free once it cooled down and you rode it home?
Once I made it to the side of the road I waited maybe less then 5 minutes before i tried to restart. It started right up and was smoking alot(white smoke) clearly from oil burning. Never had any oil burning before.

In the time I have been on this forum I know of 2 other Wiseco piston failures.  One occurred as yours did, on the first ride where the bike was run up to 70 mph (not a Boretech job), and the other one occurred after the bike had a lot of miles on it and was started after being in storage for 3 years (was a Boretech job).  There have been a lot of stock piston failures when the owners just run them out of oil.

I searched around on the internet for Wiseco piston clearances...and evidently it is not a standard that they publish.  I believe I still have the sheet from Wiseco that came with my piston....I will try and find it and see if it lists any numbers.  

On the website it states that a 96 mm piston in my case would already have the tolerances in the size of the piston meaning that a 96mm bore would be for the 96mm piston which is about 95.5 mm

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/25/15 at 10:13:02

I believe you'll find the clearances printed on the outside of the box.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:33:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine locked up going about 70 mph...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.