Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine locked up going about 70 mph... (Read 439 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Engine locked up going about 70 mph...
Reply #15 - 06/25/15 at 10:26:29

This is the only other photo I have seen of a failed Wiseco.  This one was in run for several thousand miles, then stored for 3 years.  I believe the piston was dry after all that storage time and the piston siezed before the oil could be pumped through the engine and actually get to the piston/cylinder.

It shows a similar pattern where the sides of the piston skirt have pushed the piston against the cylinder and caused more scoring along that part of the skirt.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/25/15 at 17:17:22

So I talked to Bill today about everything that happened the other day and he said to go ahead and send him some pictures of the piston and cylinder. He said I should be okay with just a hone and told me it may be a good idea to do the carbide bore treatment. Anyone have any experience with it? Im sure it couldn't do any harm but is it worth the extra money? I must say he seems like a very smart guy and definitely knows what hes talking about.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 06/25/15 at 19:15:19

I got the Silicone Carbide treatment on mine.....and Lancer does it on all of the cylinders he does.  It is supposed to make the cylinder more durable and reduce friction.

Here is the Boretech page on it:

http://bore-tech.com/Carbide%20Bore%20Process

« Last Edit: 06/26/15 at 03:41:45 by Dave »  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 06/26/15 at 05:39:26

As Dave mentioned I have the Silicone Treatment done on all cylinders for the Big Bore Kits I do.  I have been doing them since 2001, when I had my own cylinder done for the first time.  I recommend it highly.  
I have had 2 low oil experiences since then and it saved my cylinder both times without damage or incident.  
The photo that Dave put up showing piston damage was from one of my bikes, and as stated it was caused by a "dry start" after sitting for an extended period of time which allowed to rings to develop some rust which yanked the piston to one side upon starting and caused the gauging.  It was not immediately apparent what had happened since the engine continued to run, but with a little bit of a knock.
My cylinder has one small gauge in it with a tiny piece of the ring stuck in it.
I intend to GENTLY grind it out and re-hone the cylinder and put it back together.  I still need to get a piston for it though when the budget permits.

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/13/15 at 14:52:53

UPDATE: So the new piston is here and the machine work is done. Now im just waiting on a couple gaskets to come in. Checked my ring end gap
Top Compression ring:.019
2nd Compression ring:.021
Oil rings:.018

Any recomended oil for break in? Or what the break in procedure is?
I have a gneral idea of what is needed and what not to do when breaking in a engine but would like to hear what other people have done and what works for them. Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 07/13/15 at 15:19:46

Rotella T 15w-40 with a shot of ZDDP
Break-in: There are 2 schools of thought (WD vs. the world)
Flog it vs be gentile with a gradual increase in running time.
There's a accelerated break-in procedure on the net that says
Flog it with a gradual increase in running time and it'll be broke-in at 250 miles.  This is what I did at the beginning of summer and I took it to the dragon this year.  So we'll see.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 07/13/15 at 15:31:15

Well.....I used the Rotella T and went easy on mine for the first 500 miles.  I did not apply full throttle or keep the rpm constant for long periods of time.

Mine seems to be working fine and has 6,000 miles on the Wiseco.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 08/07/15 at 04:33:46

Update?  Bike together yet?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 08/31/15 at 03:26:07

Dave wrote on 08/07/15 at 04:33:46:
Update?  Bike together yet?

Still no Joy?

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #24 - 08/31/15 at 04:19:15

What is considered an "extended" period of time for a bike to sit before you should first remote the plug and shoot a bit of oil in it?

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 08/31/15 at 05:23:22

JutMan wrote on 08/31/15 at 04:19:15:
What is considered an "extended" period of time for a bike to sit before you should first remote the plug and shoot a bit of oil in it?

Dunno for sure...I suppose it depends a bit on where/how the bike is stored.  When you turn your bike off there is a thin layer of oil on the internal engine parts.....and the piston and cylinder wall have some oil between them.  If the bike is stored in a way that it can get really hot (it gets over 100 degrees in my metal pole barn several times a summer).  A few years of that kind of treatment and there likely will be very little oil left on the cylinder.

I don't think it is necessary to put any oil in the cylinder for a bike that has been parked for a month or two, or over the winter - beyond that I would be tempted to remove the plug and put a little light oil in the cylinder and let it soak past the rings for a few days before you start the bike....it couldn't hurt!

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #26 - 08/31/15 at 05:33:59

Dave wrote on 08/31/15 at 05:23:22:
JutMan wrote on 08/31/15 at 04:19:15:

Dunno for sure...I suppose it depends a bit on where/how the bike is stored.  When you turn your bike off there is a thin layer of oil on the internal engine parts.....and the piston and cylinder wall have some oil between them.  If the bike is stored in a way that it can get really hot (it gets over 100 degrees in my metal pole barn several times a summer).  A few years of that kind of treatment and there likely will be very little oil left on the cylinder.

I don't think it is necessary to put any oil in the cylinder for a bike that has been parked for a month or two, or over the winter - beyond that I would be tempted to remove the plug and put a little light oil in the cylinder and let it soak past the rings for a few days before you start the bike....it couldn't hurt!

Thanks for the quick response!  I am mostly concerned about over the winter.  Left outside the last 2 winters as I do not have a garage.  I try to start it at least one or two times on warm days and let it warm up a bit at least to get the juices flowing.  Hopefully this year I will have a shed to put it in which will help.  The left side of the engine crankcase cover is starting to feel the effects of the coating over the aluminum is starting to look crappy.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:33:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine locked up going about 70 mph...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.