Send Topic Print
can't get her started (Read 193 times)
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

can't get her started
06/22/15 at 11:51:06

After about a year in the garage i can't get the bike started.  04' with about 1500 miles on it with a raptor petcock.  I stored with the carb bowl empty and siphoned out the gas in the tank.  The battery was pretty weak from not being on a trickle charger over the winter so i replaced that.  It cranks but thats about it.  Before i tear the carb out any suggestions to try?  I did open the drain plug on the carb and the gas that came out looked fine nothing gunky.  Any advice would be helpful.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: can't get her started
Reply #1 - 06/22/15 at 12:03:26

some residual gas probably clogged your jets.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 06/22/15 at 12:03:54

Is the switch on the right handle bar control set to "Run"?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/22/15 at 12:05:23

Pull the cap off the carb where you plugged the vacuum port, and then find a way to squirt a bit small amount of gasoline into the port (teaspoonful).  Then replace the cap and see if the bike fires up for a second or two on that small amount of fuel.

If it does....then you know it is a carb/fuel related issue that is keeping the bike from starting (not a compression or spark issue).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/22/15 at 12:20:49

i poured some gas down the plugged vacuum tube and it did run for a few seconds.  does that mean i need to pull the carb out and take it apart?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/22/15 at 12:23:43

That tells you that no fuel is getting to the engine through the carb.  So the fuel tank, petcock, fuel line or carb could be causing you a problem.

Generally the problem in storage is the pilot jet or main jet gets gummed up and will not flow any fuel.  Since you said that fuel will flow out the float bowl drain....I would say you need to drop the float bowl and clean the main and pilot jet as a minimum.  On something like that I would most likely take the entire carb off for a cleaning and thorough "look through".

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/22/15 at 12:46:52

If you don't get the right tool, you'll wreck the bolts. A number two Phillips ain't it and if they have never been removed, you'll probably be ahead getting it on the bench.
Penetrating oil, 50/50 acetone and transmission fluid, do that first, give it time, do it again..
Patience to avoid a problem is better than fixing it.

Ha! JIS, remember ed it, I have used the bench grinder to flatten the tip of the Philips till it seated deep enough to fill the X.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/22/15 at 15:01:10

I pulled the carb out and took it apart.  A little dirty but nothing real bad.  I took both main and pilot jet out and i could see they weren't clogged.  I can see through the hole for the main jet into the top of carb.  Should i be able to see light from the top of carb through the slot for the pilot jet?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/22/15 at 16:03:49

float valve?

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 06/22/15 at 18:03:36

That's good that the main isn't blocked. But, the bike doesn't start and idle on the main, so the idle and cold start circuits could still be gunked up. The best thing I've ever come across for cleaning carbs is Yamalube Carb Dip. I think it's meant for ultrasonic cleaners but works really well just for soaking the carb in. It's a bit $$$ but you can store it and reuse over again many times. You soak the carb (overnight works well) then rinse it in water and blow dry the passages with compressed air. A piece of soft wire (fuse wire is nice) is a good tool for poking around to loosen blockages.
FWIW when I lay up my bike I drain the bowl then run it til it's dry. I don't have any problems starting up even a year later. My 2c and YMMV etc.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 06/22/15 at 21:56:06

jspace wrote on 06/22/15 at 15:01:10:
 Should i be able to see light from the top of carb through the slot for the pilot jet?

Barely. I just grabbed an old pilot jet, and I was able to to see a pinhole of lite, but only after try different angles (and different eyes).

You should be able to poke a thin strand of copper wire through it.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/23/15 at 03:36:15

jspace wrote on 06/22/15 at 15:01:10:
 Should i be able to see light from the top of carb through the slot for the pilot jet?

No....the Pilot circuit snakes through the carb, goes through the idle mixture screw passage, and eventually comes out in the holes at the top of the carb throat on the engine side of the butterfly.

The hole in the Pilot Jet is very small......but you should be able to see some light through it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/23/15 at 07:47:07

While its apart, get Berrymans spray, use the red tube, WEAR eye protection, keep it off your skin, ventilation or outside,  its some serious stuff, You can drop jets in a shot glass and squirt some in, let them soak, use red tube to blast through the idle circuit., etc,  but, some WILL blow back, I dont like it on me, it kinda burns,

Use antiseize on bolts. They wont fall out. But they wont
Become One
with the carb.

You sure popped it apart quick.. Most folks fight hard.

Clean dry slide, no oil, no fingerprints, protect rubber parts from cleaner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/23/15 at 19:19:48

i cleaned every bit of it i could with berrymans carb cleaner.  i did not take the float off because i couldn't get that pin out thats holding it in place.  Put everything back together and still nothing! I think i'm going to try soaking it overnight in some carb dip.  Not quite sure what to try next if that doesn't work.  The float looked ok and the float valve moved easily.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/23/15 at 20:00:05

if you're going to dip it you had best get that float off and get the needle and seat out, or the dip will ruin them
no plastic and no rubber can go in the dip, only metal

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 11:14:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › can't get her started

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.