Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Still playing with the carb... (Read 82 times)
AsphaltMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Still playing with the carb...
06/20/15 at 15:00:22

I had the bike dynode and tuned, they gave it back to me saying it just won't idle right... he was setting the idle way to low, turn the idle up and modify the spacer, I sanded it down twice, and adjusted the mix, finally removed the spacer completely and set my needle to the 5th adjustment. Now you guys are saying, "what 5th adjustment?" but that's just it, my carb has 5 adjustment slots besides the spacer to adjust it, also my jets are 230 and 53 I'm certain these are wrong, but with the mixture screw all the way in, and the idles set higher, I can only assume I'm pretty close to 1400-1500 no tach... now here's the funny part   1st gear 0 - 25 2nd gear 25 - 50 3rd gear 50 - 70 4th gear above 70 5th gear  I can't even get into because it starts bucking and I have to downshift, once I do it runs like a race horse...
(assuming 5th gear to be 80 and up

IP Logged
AsphaltMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Still playing with the carb...
Reply #1 - 06/20/15 at 15:02:23

p.s. just passed 5k and have not looked at timing chain yet

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/20/15 at 19:20:16

AsphaltMan wrote on 06/20/15 at 15:00:22:
I had the bike dynode and tuned, they gave it back to me saying it just won't idle right...

Huh
Quote:
he was setting the idle way to low, turn the idle up and modify the spacer, I sanded it down twice, and adjusted the mix, finally removed the spacer completely and set my needle to the 5th adjustment. Now you guys are saying, "what 5th adjustment?" but that's just it, my carb has 5 adjustment slots besides the spacer to adjust it, also my jets are 230 and 53

You got a dynojet carb kit, the numbers won't match what we normally use, but there's a translator in the tech section.  But those numbers sound huge.
Quote:
I'm certain these are wrong, but with the mixture screw all the way in, and the idles set higher, I can only assume I'm pretty close to 1400-1500 no tach...

What kind of dyno tech doesn't have a tach?
Quote:
now here's the funny part   1st gear 0 - 25 2nd gear 25 - 50 3rd gear 50 - 70 4th gear above 70 5th gear  I can't even get into because it starts bucking and I have to downshift, once I do it runs like a race horse...
(assuming 5th gear to be 80 and up

Km's ?

I'd set the needle to the mid way position then select you idle jet, then the main.
By setting it to the extreme you're eliminating whatever fine tuning you'll need later.
I don't think your dyno guy knows sh!t or only knows 1 thing... HD.

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/20/15 at 21:50:10

Just wondering...are the dyno techs charging you for their services?  Something doesn't seem right.  You're guessing your RPM and that's the first sign of trouble here.  The techs should be able to tell you exactly what your idle RPM is....just saying.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/20/15 at 22:08:29

don't think your dyno guy knows sh!t

I'm gonna agree

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AsphaltMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/24/15 at 10:14:28

The dyno guys went out of business shortly after returning my bike. I don't have a tach, he was setting the idle around 600

IP Logged
AsphaltMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/24/15 at 10:17:18

Around the secondaries it runs like a bat outs hell, on the highway I have to keep the rpm high, like a 2 stroke, and it runs great.. So for now at least, I am through changing the carbs tuning, but will look up this dyno carb kit in the tech section...  

For now I am interested in the timing chain, there is a mod, and I just went over 5k

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/24/15 at 10:38:42

AsphaltMan wrote on 06/24/15 at 10:14:28:
The dyno guys went out of business shortly after returning my bike. I don't have a tach, he was setting the idle around 600

It appears everyone agreed with my assessment.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/24/15 at 10:46:10

AsphaltMan wrote on 05/17/15 at 17:48:35:
where the hell were you guys for the past three years??? After doing the carb mod, twice, since the first time gave me results I liked, So I went  back for seconds... I went nutz trying to figure out why the darn bike kept boggin out and trying to kill me in traffic, before I re adjusted the float to actually FILL the bowl....   Holy smoke what a difference!

Before we can get to specific advice, we'll need to know if you've modified your bike or is it stock?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/24/15 at 10:46:55

There are no "secondaries" in a carb with a single throat.  The Pilot Jet controls the fuel flow up to about 1/8th throttle, then the slide needle takes over up to about 3/4 throttle.....then finally the main jet controls the flow.  There is some bleed over in those numbers listed....but it sounds like your bike is only working well when the main jet is in control.  It appears your Pilot Jet and Needle jet circuit need some attention.

If it was my bike....I would take the carb apart and clean it.  Install a #150 main and a #50 pilot, and put 2 washers that are #4 machine screw size on the top of the jet needle clip, and then open the mixture screw a couple of turns and see how it runs.  (The needle should then be adjusted properly once the bike is warmed up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 19:09:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Still playing with the carb...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.