Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looks like nothing but good news. (Read 85 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Looks like nothing but good news.
06/19/15 at 18:34:11

Probably belongs in the Tall Table, but, since it's good news, I thought I'd toss it here. If someone wants it moved, I won't be upset.

American Giant is not yet a household apparel name like Levi’s or Gap, but CEO Bayard Winthrop has outsize ideas about its future. He doesn’t just want to sell hoodies, T-shirts, and polos; he wants to prove that American manufacturing can be profitable again, reversing a devastating economic trend. No U.S. manufacturing industry has suffered more from outsourcing than textiles and apparel: The domestic workforce has shrunk by roughly three-quarters since the 1990s. And yet Winthrop is crafting an American-made resurgence, one that draws its power from both a heritage appeal and the Internet. And Slate spoke for many fans when it called American Giant’s primary product "the greatest hoodie ever made."

American Giant is an e-commerce phenomenon: Its clothes, almost entirely sourced and produced in North and South Carolina and sold only via the web, are comfortable, flattering, durable, and popular with a fanatical fan base. American Giant declines to release sales figures, but Winthrop says its business has tripled each year since its launch in 2012. The company’s products routinely sell out and can be back-ordered for weeks.

"The dirty secret of the apparel industry is that shirt that you bought at Nordstrom for $80 gets made for six or seven bucks," says Winthrop. "The rest of the margin is chewed up by a whole bunch of nuts that I would argue the customer cares less and less about." That’s stuff like major marketing campaigns and hip storefronts, neither of which American Giant is interested in. Though finely made, its most expensive hoodie costs $89, a middle-market price. (A Gap hoodie costs $50, and one from fashion designer John Varvatos goes up to $398.) The company estimates that it costs about $38 to manufacture, and could be made around $7 cheaper in Asia. But although American labor is still more expensive, tariffs and rising costs in India and China have made domestic manufacturing more competitive, a trend that has allowed the American textile industry to rebound modestly. American Giant isn’t the only manufacturer that has noticed; one Chinese yarn maker is now opening a plant in South Carolina.

[Photo: McNair Evans]

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Looks like nothing but good news.
Reply #1 - 06/19/15 at 22:53:27

Just so happens I'm shirt shopping. They carry cotton pocket polos(yay!) - so I ordered a couple. They were $50 a piece, if they're high quality shirts, that's a decent price.

I typically only wear Carhart and Wolverine, so I only need to replace my shirts and pants once or twice a decade. I'm always looking for good, cotton, double stitched shirts that can take a couple a hundred washes and still look presentable (ie, armpits and crotch are still covered).

Tomorrow I'll ride out to Cabela's to look for some pants & shirts. I like to go clothes shopping in the same store that sells rifles, bows, and fishing gear. Because those clothes are better Smiley

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 06/20/15 at 06:13:39

There is a company in Canada called "Tilley Endurables" that is set up in much the same way. Everything is made in Canada except some of their socks and a water bottle which are made in the USA. Some of their stuff is guaranteed for life.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 07/01/15 at 22:55:58

My order from American Giant came in, two pocketed polo shirts. The quality on these is top notch - woven cotton, double stitched seams. The collar is very well blocked. It also has a thick cotton sweat ring on the inside of the collar (how did they know?).

These shirts are comparable in texture, and quality to the Carhart tee shirts (my gold standard for shirts).

The big advantage to the American Giant Polos is they have collars, and I can wear these out to dinner without looking like I came in from a construction site. Collar = classy, right?

At $50 a piece they were pretty expensive, but, I imagine these will be in my twice monthly wear cycle for another 5-10 years.

I'll be ordering a few more of these shirts as more colors become available.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:30:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Looks like nothing but good news.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.