Send Topic Print
Backfiring and Surging (Read 168 times)
nedelden
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfiring and Surging
06/18/15 at 19:50:10

When I throttle down, my S 40 backfires.  Also, at steady speeds the bike has minor surges.  If I keep the choke at half way position the both issues are somewhat better.

The bike is 2005, 9500 miles and no mods from what I know.  No doubt it is running lean and hot as both exhaust pipe and Muffler is blue.  Pulled the brass plug and backed off mixture screw but still same problem.  And the muffler has a hole near the connection to the exhaust pipe.

« Last Edit: 06/19/15 at 06:39:29 by nedelden »  
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Backfiring and Surging
Reply #1 - 06/18/15 at 20:00:55

Classic indications of carb jets too lean. The question now is which jetting circuit is it?

Backfiring may be the idle circuit. Either removing the plug to the idle mix adjusting screw or a step richer of idle jet might help.

I assume the surging is at part throttle. If that is the case, I would try slide needle spacer mod to richen up the mid-throttle range. The link explaining the procedure is on the site here somewhere.

If you get surging or sputtering at full throttle and it gets better by backing off the throttle just a hair, the main jet is too lean.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/18/15 at 20:31:28

Including year model and miles and any mods done helps.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 06/19/15 at 05:11:53

If you are experiencing surging at cruise speeds (50-70 mph) it's your needle circuit. Remove the white spacer under the needle and replace it with 2 #4 ss washers.

Regarding the after firing...learn to love it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 06/19/15 at 07:09:05

There are tons of threads around here dealing with how to reject your carb. Plenty of pictures too! It's a simple process. The only hard part is getting the carb out to disassemble it. Don't be afraid to tear into it. We can walk you through it if need be. Once you get the carb out it's about a 5 minute process.

What is your elevation? That's a determining factor in figuring out what jets you need. I'm roughly at sea level and used the stock pilot and the next larger main with a slight change in the washer thickness for the midrange (see signature). The higher up you are, the less air there is so you will need less of a change in jetting.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/19/15 at 08:52:04

There are tons of threads around here dealing with how to reject your carb.

Now, now, lets not create emotional problems with it. Just get the mechanical stuff done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Reply #6 - 06/21/15 at 15:56:06

Kris01 wrote on 06/19/15 at 07:09:05:
There are tons of threads around here dealing with how to reject your carb.

Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover?

2006 S40, 11k, Raptor petcock, first 'cycle. Wish me luck!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/21/15 at 16:33:28

Backfiring and Surging

If not its own chapter, then surely a coupla paragraphs in my autobiography. Friends and family alike have rejected my carburetor.
Sometimes,life just hurts.

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #8 - 06/25/15 at 15:21:14

I don't *like* the burbling and popping on a backing throttle, but it encourages me to avoid hard engine braking, and loud pipes save lives & etc...

As with any vehicle, there are a lot of ways to ride a Savage from hard to easy. I'm an old guy and I like to take kind care of my engine, brakes and everything when riding. My mill has never seen redline. It's tight and happy. But that's just me, pampering it like a tractor engine. The Savage is capable of savagery, as long as you're willing to deal with the wear and tear and fine tuning.

This is a good time to thank SS dot com for the Raptor petcock, the seat mod, the idle mix screw bidness and  other stuff. Great improvements at low cost... sweet!

I do have a fork seal that is not responding to the home made hooked plastic cleaner-outer tool, so I'm fixing to wade into the forks. The riser was dinged on that side by sand or gravel. I smoothed out the sharp pits with emery cloth and I have some nice Bike Bandit accordion boots to put on and stop that from happenin' again.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - 06/25/15 at 15:56:46

nedelden wrote on 06/18/15 at 19:50:10:
...  And the muffler has a hole near the connection to the exhaust pipe.

Fix this first.  Carb tuning and jetting  are not going to help you if you have a breached exhaust.

If the problem persists, test your petcock:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:19:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring and Surging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.