Send Topic Print
Headlight fairing (Read 157 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Headlight fairing
06/18/15 at 19:08:58

So I was playing around in the shop today and took a shot at a headlight fairing of sorts. Used an old front fender from a honda shadow, cut it down and made some struts for it. Drilled and tapped 2 10mm by 1.25 holes in the upper triple tree and welded it all up. Put some door edge guard rubber on the lip where it meets the headlight an walla!

image_291.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Re: Headlight fairing
Reply #1 - 06/18/15 at 19:10:49

Happy with how it sits but I wanna make thinner less noticeable struts for mounting.

image_292.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/18/15 at 20:07:18

I've already got phobias concerning getting a new smile to even look at that thing.

WWW   IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 06/18/15 at 20:51:14

@verslagen1
I'm not sure how to read what you wrote? I need to get out to your house to let you check it out.

Should be putting the shift back to stock here soon and building another new exhuast. Once that's done I'll make a trip out there. I was just off Huntington the other day to pick up a new helmet but you were on the east coast. Once the last few things are complete I'll make plans to ride out there.

Oh and btw the darn thing is a little crooked. Seems it shifted a bit under the weld heat. Not really noticeable from the front but since I'm looking down the fairing I see it and with just 20 minutes of riding it's already driven me near insane! Gonna have to pull on it a bit and see if I can't twist it back.
I think I'm gonna delete my speedo/tach setup off the side frame rail and just put the tach tucked up under the fairing.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/18/15 at 21:29:23

I like the look and applaud the ingenuity.
I See a steel fingernail, aimed at you, in a sudden stop.
I would like to see the mount allow a forward pivot.
Looks like it otta hit right about the Adams Apple.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/18/15 at 22:23:40

Looks like something out of Aliens...
Kinda' neat...

Steampunkinn'it.... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #6 - 06/18/15 at 22:27:46

@ Justin
All very valid points. I chose the more downward angled position for a more sleek look. I did test the forward collision aspect of it though. If I rolled my body on an axis not lifting off the seat I would catch it mid forehead. Coming off the seat any contact area is possible depending on the forward launch tragectory. Being that it's a fender it has a thicker slightly upturned edge that's rolled so there's no "sharp" surface. I'm gonna take another shot at it and use the underside of the risers as a mount point similar to gauge bracket mounts. I will also incorporate a sliding adjustment so it can be set at a variation of angles. If that works well I may produce some for purchase if it peeks an interest. There are about 30 front fenders at the shop just sitting in boxes not being used. The shop owner cuts them in half and uses it for a stubby rear fender application on the rear when he does a bobber build with a Shadow. After 18 years of building he has amassed quite a collection.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #7 - 06/19/15 at 01:01:56

Think my next course of action is to try and fabricate a chin spoiler. Been looking at google photos for about 3 hours now and I think I can do it. Figure I'll use some thin sheet metal in the 20 gauge area maybe thinner.

Looking at the part of the downtube where it splits into 2 there's plenty of room to fit a spoiler there. Don't see any way to make it a bolt on application without welding in some tabs. I'm going to have to get the bike on the lift and see if there's any way to do it in a non weld on application because I'm sure it would end up being a desired mod if it could be bolted on in your garage.

Seems like I can't leave the savage alone long enough to start on the harley build. I'm supposed to be working on that now that I have all the parts but every time I'm in the shop I wanna tinker with the savage more!

image_293.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 06/19/15 at 06:54:54

Does a chin spoiler actually do anything or is it more for looks?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/19/15 at 09:35:12

Kris01 wrote on 06/19/15 at 06:54:54:
Does a chin spoiler actually do anything or is it more for looks?

Mostly looks, unless you ride a Harley. Harley Davidson Big Twins keep their voltage regulator in that section of the frame. A chin spoiler helps to keep them dry, but, blocks enough cooling air to cook them over time.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #10 - 06/19/15 at 10:34:07

@Kris01

It can serve a few purposes. Aerodynamics being one of them. If done properly it does actually channel air though I'm sure not much as the front tire splits the clean air around it. I'd love to see some wind tunnel tests to see if it actually pulls air up into the block section. I'd imagine if it did water cooled bikes that have the radiator there may benefit from it.

With all that being said I'm doing it purely for looks. And I wanna see if I can actually fabricate it up. The Savage has been my test subject so far. I've done various tube work including building roll cages and chassis work for numerous projects. Ive done body panel sheet metal fabrication and built gauge panels and dashes on some off-road rigs I've built but I've never done the stuff I'm doing with the savage so this adventure has been fun.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/19/15 at 10:40:18

Is my computer the only one that makes all of Rylee's pictures sideways?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 06/19/15 at 10:56:43

Mine shows 'em sideways in the posts but normal when you hit the link.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/19/15 at 11:06:09

Tocsik wrote on 06/19/15 at 10:56:43:
Mine shows 'em sideways in the posts but normal when you hit the link.

Man...that link idea helped a lot.  I was getting weird looks at the office when I kept rolling my computer screen on it's side!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/19/15 at 11:12:43

I wonder if it diverts needed cooling air.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:23:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight fairing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.