Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My other bike build (non savage) (Read 193 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
My other bike build (non savage)
06/17/15 at 22:27:30

So my 09 Efi rubber mount 883 sportster is finally paid off. Decided to go rigid with this bike as well. I ordered a David Bird weld on hardtail from Led Sled Customs along with a chain conversion, oil can, forward foot controls, RXCelerator closed loop programmer, new custom rotors, clip ons, and a host of little accessories. I've got nomad custom leathers doing the solo seat and pillion pad for me. Only thing I haven't decided on is what tank I'm gonna run. Being fuel injected I don't have a wide array of options so I will most likely end up being a typical small sporty tank or a wassel.

Tear down begins next Tuesday at the shop I've been moonlighting out of called CasaCustoms. The owner and I recently met at a swap meet and hit it off. I helped him on a customer bike and he offered me the option to do all my work there in exchange for helping him on customer projects since hes a 1 man operation. Pretty sweet deal and he's a stand up guy!

Pics and updates to come as the project moves forward. I'm super excited it's the 1st Harley I've cut up and being rubber mount it's new ground for me and the shop owner alike in the customizing department.

Here's a pic of the hardtail that was delivered today. Still waiting on a few small parts but nothing that will stop the tear down and go ahead with the build.

image_290.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: My other bike build (non savage)
Reply #1 - 06/18/15 at 14:08:31

My, you sure seem to like hardtails
Based on your savage build, I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 06/18/15 at 17:45:42

You seem to enjoy all the punishment of building these things! Keep the pics coming!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 06/18/15 at 20:43:36

At 1st I was gonna go street tracker/cafe with it since Speed Merchant and Landspeed Cycles are close to me, specialize in that style build and I know them well but as you guys so elegantly put it...I love my rigid frames to much.

The harley will be simple. I don't see myself going crazy with it since I want a good resale value with a wide market. I love the direction I've gone with the savage but I've cornered myself in to a very small resale market and I'm nearing the limit of investment vs profit. On a good day where I'm located I could bring $5500 tops for the savage even with all the custom one off work that's been done. If I factored in how much labor I've put into it I'm losing money even at that price. So it's safe to say the savage probably won't ever be for sale unless I find a buyer who appreciates the build enough to open the checkbook.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #4 - 06/19/15 at 06:14:09

My back couldn't handle a hardtail. More power to ya.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 06/19/15 at 06:49:32

I've often thought of converting mine to a hard tail bobber but, like you said, resale would be very low to a very specific market.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #6 - 06/22/15 at 22:41:50

All I can say is thank The Lord almighty for Google and YouTube. Even with a Clymers manual this thing was no fun tearing apart. There's more wires on this darn thing than a computer room at Nasa!

Tearing it down...

image_295.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #7 - 06/22/15 at 22:44:13

No turning back now!

On a side note I realized why Harley's are so heavy. The 20 lb bracket that the exhuast slip ons mount too was hideous! And the wall thickness of the frame tubes should be able to withstand the blunt force of a semi hitting it.

image_296.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #8 - 06/22/15 at 22:48:32

Now to pull the engine that the 1000 ft of wire is disconnected and hopefully tomorrow finish trimming the remaining rear section and weld on the hardtail. Led Sled finally shipped the last of my parts so if all goes well (we all know it never does) I should have a rolling chassis early next week.

Still waiting on my 4 under springer to get here and the invader 21" front wheel. I'll probably have to roll it on the stock front end until then.

On another side note I'm gonna secretly test fit the springer on the savage and if I like the look find a bearing/cup kit and throw it on. I'll just try and pass it off the wife as it didn't fit or look right on the harley. She approved this build under the pretense that I was going to sell one of them when it was done  Grin

image_298.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 06/23/15 at 07:45:57

Yup, please keep us informed on the springer fit (and or kit) for the savage.
I am hoping this winter to re-mod my savage into a different setup.

Moving right along on that build!  How much weight are you thinking you will lose on the Harley?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #10 - 06/23/15 at 09:30:57

@old_rider

The swing arm and section of rear that I cut off weighed substantially more than the new hard tail that is being welded on. The factory exhaust bracket/hanger was 14lbs itself. I'm guessing once it's all said and done I'll have shaved at least 30-40lbs off the bike. If memory serves me springers are heavy so the weight I lose from the rear I'll just be putting back on the front.

I'll let you know about the springer install. There's a company called Ardcore Choppers that has a bearing kit that allows the savage to run a harley stem.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #11 - 06/30/15 at 22:07:54

Updates...
I've only been able to get an hour here and there at the shop so progress is slow. It is however a rolling chassis now. Still have a bunch of work to do before she's done but I'm getting there.

Hard tail is fully tig welded on. Tank is modified and mounted. Seat is mounted. Oil can is welded up and mounted. Bars are made and test fit. Still need to pull the wires and get the internal throttle finished. Forks are shaved and painted.
Tomorrow I'll finish the battery box and the false electrical panel to cover the fuse box and all the wiring.

All that's left fabrication wise is battery tray, elec panel, tail light mounts and exhaust. Once that's done I can paint the rear end and it's assembly time. Hoping to be riding her by next week!

image_300.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #12 - 06/30/15 at 22:09:40

Pics

image_301.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #13 - 06/30/15 at 22:10:27

New rear rotor

image_302.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/01/15 at 07:39:07

wow

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:18:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › My other bike build (non savage)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.