justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Hired Help
Reply #15 - 06/18/15 at 23:26:27

My neighbours might sell.
Come on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 06/19/15 at 07:05:59

Rylee wrote on 06/18/15 at 22:46:09:
@justin
I was "that guy" for my neighbor back home before I moved to Cali.

You know...after reading your comment and those of others, it sparked a thought that I figured I would share.  It seems that when you read our 'personal' posts (non-technical stuff) we're all very similar in a lot of ways. First, in today's fast paced world it takes a certain kind of character to be on this site and take the time to collaborate with people you don't know on a regular basis to help one another out with tips and tricks whilst learning things along the way as well.

And after reading Rylee's comment, I think a majority of us here are (or at one time in our younger years) the 'helpful neighbor' or the stranger that stops to help you fix a tire, or the one that helps the little old couple load heavy things in their car in the parking lot of the hardware store.  

This world is a horrible place in so many ways, and it's nice to see a common thread of kindness, even if in a small group, in us all.

Just always remember that we were all young once (some of us still are) and able to do the things that our elders can't, and some of us are old (not me  Wink) and can't do some of the things that we used to be able to do though it's not for lack of desire or intent.

Help your friends, neighbors, and strangers as you would hope to be helped if in need.  And if you are in need, don't be too proud to ask for it because you have done your time and it's time for us to return the favors....and it's also helping build the next generation of helpers  Wink Wink Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 06/19/15 at 08:49:16

My old vandidnt have a jack, so, I hauled a floorjak, and stands.
Funny how I stopped encountering people with flats when I sold it.
I worked out of it, toolbox mounted , set up, ran across an old dude, truck sht down at a stop sign. His
Mechanic, coff,,coff
Had him a new carburetor on order, it was gonna be hundreds,  
I popped the top, adjusted the float, and away he went. Never saw him again, but I'm hoping he didnt go back tthat
Mechanic.
For years i picked up hitchhikers, none ever hurt me,or was mean, one , poor guy, been robbed threee times That Day. All he had was blue jeans.
We were close to the samme size, and I wastravellling, So, I had clothes,
Rigged the dude up, socks shoes drawers shirtand some cash. Probably the happiest face ive seen on a person .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 06/19/15 at 09:07:54

Same here.  Keep a floor jack and stand, 4way tire tool, 12v pump, plug kit, etc. in my truck and have helped countless folks stranded with no tools or help. Not for the credit, but because it's the right thing to do. Picked up a few hikers and helped several (that didn't just want cash for beer) in any way I could.

I remember one guy that I passed on my way to meet a friend for lunch, walking with backpack, etc. I stopped and asked his destination and it was about 100 miles south, I think to get to his mother's that he has not see in years, etc. and maybe she was sick or had passed, I cant remember.  I did take him about 8 miles out of my way to the main interchange where he could catch his next opportunity and where there was a nice convenience store for rest and supplies. Took him in the store and told him to get some drinks (it was hot summer) and whatever he needed. He cautiously grabbed a few little snacks and such and came over to me to show me what he had and asked politely if he could get an additional sandwich for the road, to which I reiterated for him to get anything he needed/wanted.  We checked out and on the way to my truck he commented he was not really sure where he was and where he needed to go, so I gave him my paper atlas to assist him in his travels, and for his honesty and integrity in being considerate of my money in selecting his items in the store I gave him $20 or $30 that I had in my wallet and we went our separate ways.  

I guess it was what I needed to do that day to remember that things could always be worse, as I had just been laid off from a 13 year job and had sorta been down on myself. Sometimes helping others helps us too.   Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 06/19/15 at 10:57:46

This stuff is bringing back memories of good moments. Good on ya Stew.
A charitable heart for others at a moment when your own needs being met just got harder,,,,

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #20 - 06/19/15 at 11:06:02

All of these stories are making me a little teary eyed. It's nice to see goodness in people after listening to all of the bad things in the news. :'(

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/19/15 at 12:25:49

Can you imagine a
GNN , 24/7/365 Good News Network?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 06/19/15 at 22:12:17

stewmills wrote on 06/19/15 at 09:07:54:
Same here.  Keep a floor jack and stand, 4way tire tool, 12v pump, plug kit, etc. in my truck and have helped countless folks stranded with no tools or help. Not for the credit, but because it's the right thing to do. Picked up a few hikers and helped several (that didn't just want cash for beer) in any way I could.

I remember one guy that I passed on my way to meet a friend for lunch, walking with backpack, etc. I stopped and asked his destination and it was about 100 miles south, I think to get to his mother's that he has not see in years, etc. and maybe she was sick or had passed, I cant remember.  I did take him about 8 miles out of my way to the main interchange where he could catch his next opportunity and where there was a nice convenience store for rest and supplies. Took him in the store and told him to get some drinks (it was hot summer) and whatever he needed. He cautiously grabbed a few little snacks and such and came over to me to show me what he had and asked politely if he could get an additional sandwich for the road, to which I reiterated for him to get anything he needed/wanted.  We checked out and on the way to my truck he commented he was not really sure where he was and where he needed to go, so I gave him my paper atlas to assist him in his travels, and for his honesty and integrity in being considerate of my money in selecting his items in the store I gave him $20 or $30 that I had in my wallet and we went our separate ways.  

I guess it was what I needed to do that day to remember that things could always be worse, as I had just been laid off from a 13 year job and had sorta been down on myself. Sometimes helping others helps us too.   Cool

When you lift others up, you lift yourself up
Folks tend to forget this, me no less than others

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:25:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hired Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.