Send Topic Print
Hired Help (Read 156 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Hired Help
06/17/15 at 11:31:27

Met a guy about eighteen years ago, fishing,the white bass were spawning.
Musta been twenty of us scattered around. I found THE spot. Felt like a log laying across the bottom, I'd cast over it and slowly bring it over. Musta been a low spot washed out and they were schooled up there. I don't think I cast more than three times and Didn't drag a keeper outta there. He walked up and I gave him my spot when I had as many as I wanted to clean.
Anyway, I moved, health got in the way of going fishing, stuff, just stuff.
But, he's a welder and just a general
I can do that
kinda guy. I Was that guy, and I can't do the stuff that needs done,so,I went online and found him. My wife contacted him,Twitter, Facebook, whatever, I don't know about that stuff. Anyway, he came out, checked out what I need, and came out ready a few days later. Too far from home, so he stayed the night.
He hung an awning over the back door, I've been wanting to get it up for three years. His answer for
How to mount the awning
Was better than what I had in mind. He replaced a couple of vertical support 4X 4s,I didn't use treated, ooops, and the roof over the compressor wasn't doing so well. Had I not run lag bolts thru pipe securing the posts,no telling if it woulda survived. The bottoms of the posts were eaten off so bad they could be easily wiggled. Daylight, a gap, as in, no weight on them. The lag bolts run thru the pipe and the screws in the flashing was all that was holding it up. He fixed the exhaust on the backhoe, not hard, three years ago, I coulda done it. But, he did do it different and I think better.
Seems like we did something else, but, if we did, ehhh, it escapes me.

I'm sure glad I used treated on the other two.

I dunno why I thought this needed posting, except this place is kinda like my living room and you guys are the folks I talk to. I'm just seriously pleased about getting these problems dealt with. AND, I really hope that his wife and mine get along. It'd sure be nice...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Hired Help
Reply #1 - 06/17/15 at 13:19:50

Glad you found your friend and that he's turned out to be one of those 'good' helpers and not one that just tears everything up.

Since we're all in your living room and I'm the first one here, can I claim the other recliner and everyone else has to sit on the couch? Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 06/17/15 at 15:44:26

It's amazing how hard it is to find someone to do stuff like that these days  at a reasonable price, or even just to do it.

I know whta you mean.  I, too, have been letting things slide the last couple of years.

Glad you found him.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/17/15 at 16:46:40

Well, he is Definitely coming back. I was putting stuff up and found that he had left his CB radio.He took it out so there was room for me in his very full truck.

Stew, my wife is in the other recliner. Sorry,dude, couch....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/17/15 at 18:44:09

Justin-o-guy2, I understand why you posted it and I have to admit that I am also getting to the point where I might have to start hiring someone to do some things around here.  So your post sort of hit home for me.  For many of us it is hard to give up doing the things we have always done.

Anyway, glad to hear that you found someone who could do the work to your satisfaction.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 06/17/15 at 18:56:50

I'm kind of comfortable on the couch anyway. Y'all just keep your dirty riding boots off the furniture please!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 06/17/15 at 21:21:55

you two ARE goin fishin ?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/17/15 at 23:19:06

No fishing for me...

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #8 - 06/18/15 at 05:14:08

I've moved all over the country for my job and it is always hard to find good friends. I have them but they are few and far between. I'll take a seat next to Kris. It's clean over there. Grin

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/18/15 at 05:19:28

Definition of the word friend has changed as I got older.
Hard to find. I'm happy to say ive had some real ones.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 06/18/15 at 11:49:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/17/15 at 16:46:40:
Stew, my wife is in the other recliner. Sorry,dude, couch....

Well, you best get to the store and get this:

18f47919cbc921c54b220ec31cecda5f.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/18/15 at 12:26:10

Does it come in maroon?.. Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 06/18/15 at 13:25:36

Serowbot wrote on 06/18/15 at 12:26:10:
Does it come in maroon?.. Huh...

I don't think so, but is does come in VROOOOOM!   Grin Grin Grin Grin

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 06/18/15 at 17:40:29

Put a ladder in the back and a sprinkler in the seat!  Could be fun!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #14 - 06/18/15 at 22:46:09

@justin
I was "that guy" for my neighbor back home before I moved to Cali. I lived next to him for 11 years and from day one slowly watched a man who did everything around the house and yard slowly lose the ability to keep his house up. The ice breaker was a few years into being neighbors I couldn't stand to see him struggle with his riding lawn mower that was in serious need of an overhaul so I offered to dig into the engine and get it back in shape. In the meantime I let him use a fairly new John Deere rider I had bought. He looked like a kid in a candy store zipping around his huge yard on my mower. I cleaned the carb and did a gasket job on it, sharpened the so dull it wouldn't slice warm butter blade and it was as good as new. From that point forward I did what I could to help out. He always offered money for services rendered but I just couldn't bare to take it. Him and his wife both were retired from the post office and were financially stable enough to outsource companies to do this work but I kinda enjoyed it.

His wife developed ahlzeimers and they moved back to Michigan to be close to their family right before I moved here. I still wonder how they are doing since it's been going on 6 years now.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:25:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hired Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.