Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: So, how will you upgrade to Win 10 ?   (multiple votes OK)

I will seek it joyously as fast as I can
I will watch and wait for most of a year
I am being Borged already at Win 7/8.1
I will stay out until they force it on me
Thinking about jumping ship - do something else
Will stay where I am until my hardware dies
ChromeOS or Linux for me, thank you
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/01/15 at 09:35:28 »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Oh my! Windows 10 already? (Read 2183 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oh my! Windows 10 already?
Reply #90 - 07/31/15 at 13:41:37

The little window thing isn't your real "go" button -- when you click on it and you actually get words that you can start downloading/installing that's your real thing.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 07/31/15 at 14:41:01

A work around has been shared by MS to allow you to keep your existing default preferences when upgrading to Win 10.

Do not accept "Express Settings" when you get to that part of the click-a-thon that is Win 10 installation.

Then you gotta pick all your preferences all at once, right then, or else every time you open something with a program it will offer you the chance to pick that as your default program (and will continue to do so until you pick something).

People expected Win 10 to transfer their preferences like Linux does --- ha !

Just add it to the list of half-broken stuff.    

Microsoft, a somewhat careless and sloppy big cuddly teddy bear .....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #92 - 07/31/15 at 15:24:01

Thanks for that OF, I might click on it in a month or two.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #93 - 08/01/15 at 06:19:03

Google Chrome browser is faster than edge is... by far. Loads quicker and looks and feels like earlier browsers (tabs, shortcuts, ect...)
Edge is going to take a little getting used to, the tabs and the search for tabs is a lot different, but it is faster by far than the old IE... so i see a lot of folks staying with chrome or browsers that run like the older versions of IE, because they will be more comfortable with them.
Me... i just click on what ever catches my eye first.
I'm doing this post on chrome... works fine, and i still have all my old favorites on the top shortcut bar.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #94 - 08/01/15 at 06:23:07

https://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-windows-privacy-issues/

‘Incredibly intrusive’: Windows 10 spies on you by default

Google is no longer the king of personal data collection, MS has exceeded what even Google would do.

Next item of interest is Win 10 using YOUR MACHINE and your high speed bandwidth to send their updates to other people, yes, MS has rigged them up a huge permanent torrent and you join it as soon as you get your little window icon and that is why your download light has been flashing constantly ever since.

You signed up for keystroke logging too -- did you know that?    And for sharing your email listing and phone contacts listing as well.   And your photos, too.   And your location and what you look at while shopping.    And MS will share this information with "trusted associates"  ie sell your data too.

There is nothing Google has ever been even accused of doing (wrongly, sometimes) that MS isn't currently doing to you, even though they still haven't provided you with the Win 10 software itself because the drivers for your particular machine are still all buggered up.

64 million strong, that is quite a torrent, huh?

While Google still blocks NSA from access to their data farms, MS by using a HUGE open torrent to do their endless updating and transmitting all your personal data stuff by torrent has put everything they have collected out there running around the cloud and in a total "at risk" position.  

Or, considering that MS has always been easy to hack, opened up a supermarket of your personal data for the data thieves to go shopping .....

« Last Edit: 08/01/15 at 07:28:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 08/01/15 at 06:46:12

Old-rider,     we need your input on the Dragon 2 trip thread

============================

I gather that the old saying "your mileage may vary" applies to every item that folks have discovered so far and that the computer press has reported upon.

Furthermore, I suspect that the computer press has reported issues that have since then been fixed by the constant stream of updates going out over the HUGE permanent MS torrent that is their Win 10 update system.   Nobody is reporting when things get incrementally fixed, because MS doesn't tell anybody anything about what is in this hour's instant update.

Win 10 goes places no one has been before, in technology, delivery systems and in being Google-like.

MS is now being silent like Google, and just going and doing it.

The vast mass of computer users will LIKE Win 10 a lot and like the new delivery system and will like Cortana integration and everything else about Win 10.

I would say MS has their hit with Win 10, and even though it has rough edges and broken this and that, the public is being forgiving about the whole "shipped out pretty raw" thing.

Next, by putting the 30 day roll back to your old OS version in there yesterday MS has protected their image against the rawness issue -- you signed up for it, you got it, you chose to keep it even though you had 30 days to back away and the rest of this year to come back if you wanted to.

The only thing left out now is an ISO image for Win 10 that has a place for you to punch in your verification code from your old sticker to ease the way for the rest of everyone into installing the software.  

It has been consistent in the past that it is better to rape and scrape your old hard drive and install 100% fresh to get rid of all the cruft left over from your past stuff.

And at 64 MILLION installs, Win 10 is obviously working well enough to please the people.

I think a lot of what was reported from Day 1-3 is already water over the dam,  except for some raw, some slow and some driver issues from older machines with out of business vendors.

Huh     .....  Since MS is going to update your machine completely automatically for you now, are they going to defrag it automatically for you too?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #96 - 08/01/15 at 14:11:56

Old-rider,     we need your input on the Dragon 2 trip thread

============================

http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-windows-browser

I wanted to quantify the short term tilted playing field that MS has written into Win 10 as far as the different browser's performance.    MS wants you to like their new EDGE browser and they want you to form the habit of using it ...... very very much they want you to form the habit of using it.

Note please that I do not say who is naturally faster or slower, I simply say one has the entire Win 10 world optimized for that one browser's use and some impediments may have been 'inadvertently placed' in the track lanes for the other sprinters (according to their pundits, anyway).

Round 1: Speed and performance

"To see how quickly each browser executes common tasks, I ran each one through a gauntlet of benchmarks and real-world tests on the same Intel Core i5-powered Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.

Edge      Chrome      Firefox
Version Number      20.10240.163840      v44.0.2403.89m      v39.0
Peacekeeper      2607; 5 out of 7      4105; 7 out of 7      4661; 7 out 7
SunSpider 1.0.2      107.4ms      298.3ms      227.0 ms
Speed-Battle      746.42      704.14      1116.16
Browsermark      2953      5356      4357
ESPN Load Time      04:45      04:67      04:59
TomsGuide Load Time      01:55      02:22      04:90
Peacekeeper: On the Peacekeeper benchmark, which measures browser speed, Firefox topped the group, with an average of 4,652. Chrome came in second, with 4,069, while Edge’s 2,642 average placed it last, because it could support only five of the seven tests the software uses.

Speed-Battle: Firefox notched a shocking 1,116 on Speed-Battle, which clocks the speed at which a browser loads JavaScript. Edge followed with 746, and Chrome got 704.

Sunspider: Microsoft’s new browser pulled ahead in Sunspider, which tests JavaScript loading speed. Edge’s 108.1ms time was twice as fast as Chrome (256.3ms) and Firefox (213.4ms).

Browsermark: This benchmark tests a variety of browser functions such as re-sizing screens, 2D and 3D performance, crunching numbers, and rendering graphics. Chrome took the lead here, notching 5,591 against Firefox’s 4,308 and Edge’s measly 2,882.

Page Load Times (Numion): I also timed, using the Numion stopwatch, how long it took Edge, Chrome and Firefox to display media-heavy sites such as Tomsguide.com and ESPN.com. To make sure Internet speeds didn’t affect the results, I repeated this test across two different days at different times.

Edge delivered the fastest speeds in general, loading ESPN.com in 4.45 seconds, comparedcatagory to Chrome’s 4:67 and Firefox’s 4:59. Edge displayed TomsGuide.com in 1:55 seconds, faster than Chrome’s 2:22 and Firefox’s 4:90.

Winner: Edge. Though it faired poorly on a couple of synthetic tests, Edge processes JavaScript fastest and displays pages the fastest of the lot."

So, good reader, EDGE is really faster in the Win 10 environment.
It really is.

EDGE is not full featured and indeed seems somewhat stripped down for racing at this point in time and there are old style pages EDGE cannot run at all and will intentionally turn over to IE-11 for the older software to slowly open.

When someone posts the relative performance of the other browsers running on Win 10 vs running on Win 7/8.x we will then be able to quantify any potential 'track lane slowdown elements'  about what was just covered in the graphs above.    

Did MS put any sticky stuff on the other guys sprint lanes, or is it all just super steroid optimizations to make the stripped down EDGE run faster?  
Time will tell .....

Someone will do this analysis as it will be a precursor to a court date if it is indeed found to be true.

Embarrassed         MS will now quietly fade any sticky track or super steroid use very soon through the daily update flows, having now gotten the critical initial perceptions and early habits formation that they so desperately needed to get .....    

Indeed you can understand the need for speed as EDGE only won the one category "Speed" and lost all the rest of the categories to the others.

And yes, if you read the whole article, Chrome is still the best browser overall.   Firefox is the most usable for some tasks, and roughly in the same speed range as the rest.   EDGE does not fair well in anything, except in speed that is .....

.... EDGE is, however, THE fastest browser on Win 10.    

As EDGE matures and the others grasp on to the optimizations for Win 10 this will likely all change some over time.

« Last Edit: 08/01/15 at 15:59:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 08/01/15 at 16:04:22

Tongue

Duh, comment writers are pointing out that on some of the canned browser tests that EDGE did especially very well in, if EDGE didn't run but 5 out of 7 of the test portions wouldn't that let EDGE finish the entire test series 20% - 30% earlier than the other browsers?

Duh, I dunno ..... I guess they never had a browser that didn't default/naturally run 100% of all the tests before, I guess  ????  

Like I said, I dunno.

Peacekeeper certainly tagged EDGE as finishing early, with only 5 out of 7 tests being run, so I guess it is a worthwhile question for the others as well.

I am sure more will be posted on this topic later on if this is really the case.

« Last Edit: 08/02/15 at 06:00:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #98 - 08/01/15 at 16:30:06

I finally got Win 10 to start loading .....

I have found a personal issue that may just affect me -- I am habitually clicking and moving on to the next item at the same speed that I do in Linux Mint and Windows simply doesn't move that fast.  

I am consistently getting ahead of the installation software and confusing it (and me of course).

Half speed, boy, half speed ...... let it finish.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 08/02/15 at 05:21:12

Windows won't acknowledge the perfectly good sticker code on my machine and wants me to pay them $110 for a new sticker code.

It is a used machine and likely was registered to the original owner.   MS does not consider their software licenses to be transferable even though they license the installation and not the person per se.  

It's an opportunity for them to make more money, and they take it.

Interesting that Windows goes through the whole download and install rigmarole before telling you it can't verify your sticker code in their data base.

Oh well, back to Win 7 ---- I wonder if I am going to get the same code check and rejection at the end of that "go back install" later on this afternoon (this stuff all takes a while).

Smiley

..... not surprised, but disappointed all the same.   It was this same sort of nit-picking that drove me to Linux in the first place.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #100 - 08/02/15 at 05:48:50

I am not the only one that this has happened to ......

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-make-sure-your-free-copy-windows-10-ac...

"Auto-upgrade your Windows 7 and 8.1 systems to Windows 10 first so that your activation is taken care of.

Clean installs can follow afterwards if necessary."

Read the article, this guy went all the way down this path and MS customer service was not helpful to him.

"All of the information to follow is based on what I have learned over the last couple of days in performing my own upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10 and talking with other industry experts.

Before you read this, keep the following four things in mind.

First:  if you are not on Windows 7 (with SP1) or Windows 8.1 there is no free upgrade option to Windows 10.

Second: you must be upgrading to the same edition (Home/Pro) and architecture (32/64 bit) that matches the Windows 7 (SP1) or 8.1 system you are updating.

Third: Backup your data before attempting any upgrades because you never want to discover you do not have a backup when you actually need one.

Fourth: The process I am detailing below is for consumer versions of Windows (both retail and OEM). Volume Licensing customers have their own keys that are used to activate their upgrades to Windows 10.

The key step in each of these sucessful installations: I did an in place upgrade to Windows 10 first.

This is because Microsoft is handling the activation of your free Windows 10 upgrade differently. That initial upgrade is apparently a key element of the activation and validation process. This is why we are not seeing Windows 10 product keys being distributed to activate the new installations.

I may be oversimplifying this but keeping it simple is usually the best option.

The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.

That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsoft’s servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either."

So, don't just go and use the ISO image that is out there, let MS do an in-place automatic upgrade to the machine first and wait a week or so for your hardware hash mark to percolate through the MS system to get you properly registered.

I bet there are 10s of thousands of broken systems out there right now .....     Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/02/15 at 08:42:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #101 - 08/04/15 at 06:45:53

Remember this?

"The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.

That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsoft’s servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either."

I can now attest what it means to you going out into the future.

I had used the same windows machine to apply for Win 10 Beta Tester status and then again to try to register the Win 7 that was on the machine from the factory.   I also had an ancient MS account associated with the same machine from years and years ago.

Guess what?   I am now a "suspected software pirate" in MS's system and every attempt to register that involves that machine is automatically denied.    I have multiple MS id's on my machine and that is not allowed.

Machine generated and tracked hashmarks -- that include your hard drive data -- will be the bane of all of us over time, I suspect.

Linux however, does not care about hashmarks, or MS's attempts to control your computing world or anything about MS's network of this and that.

Linux just works ......   for free.            Smiley             installs inside a half an hour, too

« Last Edit: 08/04/15 at 08:30:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #102 - 08/04/15 at 09:42:04

I tried Win 10 on my Dell 2 in 1 laptop for a couple of days and went back to Win 8.1. I'm thinking it's time to put Linux on the laptop.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #103 - 08/05/15 at 12:54:57

http://liliputing.com/2015/08/windows-10-gets-its-first-big-update-windows-re...

MS just rolled out a Windows 10 update that was over 325 megabytes.

Think they had to fix anything,  huh?

People with mobile only or data capped services may have difficulty keeping up with the cost of Windows 10 if it keeps going over their cap.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #104 - 08/05/15 at 15:26:41

I still haven't decided if I want to leave Win 8 and dual boot the laptop or do a clean install of Linux.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:27:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh my! Windows 10 already?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.