Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas mileage what? How does she do it? (Read 197 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Gas mileage what? How does she do it?
06/15/15 at 08:48:01

Ok... so I came back from the dragon sunday, didn't bother to even try to do a gas mileage thing on my ninja 300.
However a couple of the fella's were comparing their mileage/consumption totals.
Today I had to take a trip to the store, and since the wife rarely rides her savage I usually take it out at least once a week.
So I hop on, crank it, let it warm up a bit and take off. About 3 miles down the road it starts running a little rough like it is fixin' to hit reserve, so I glance down at her Bell bicycle odo tracker.... 143 miles! ??? Don't that girl ever look at her odo tracker? she should have filled up 40 miles ago!..... well I made it to the gas station without changing it to reserve, but it was semi-sputtering.
It totals out to roughly 69 miles to the gallon, How does she do it???

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Gas mileage what? How does she do it?
Reply #1 - 06/15/15 at 08:57:28

My guess is she doesn't have your fat butt on there...  Roll Eyes...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 06/15/15 at 10:39:26

errrr....
SUPER simple.... don't reset the odo...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 06/15/15 at 12:01:24

Your wife might ride very conservatively, which may help. Once I got stuck a long way from a petrol station and put 11.3 litres into an alleged 10 litre tank, that did cram fill the tank. I didn't have accurate records, but I'm sure I had ridden between 140 and 150 miles. Rough calcs put 11.3 litres at 2.9 US gals.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 06/15/15 at 12:45:28

Now that's cool!  I have those on my pedal bikes but never thought of using that for the savage.  Does it mount up just the same and work with a decent level of accuracy on the front wheel? I assume you have the magnet on the spoke and the sensor and wire going down one of the forks?  

I think I'm gonna do this!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/15/15 at 15:36:02

Old_rider:  So you rode 1,200 miles in 3 days...then climbed onto another motorcycle when you got home? Huh

You seem to have an addiction.

I believe you told my your wife was just a bit over 5' tall, and about 100 pounds....the bike doesn't have to work very hard when she is riding!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/15/15 at 17:57:03

Dave wrote on 06/15/15 at 15:36:02:
I believe you told my your wife was just a bit over 5' tall, and about 100 pounds....the bike doesn't have to work very hard when she is riding!

I was only joking,... but, it looks like I was right...  Tongue...
The bike don't even know she's on there... Huh...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 06/15/15 at 18:42:23

Yeah, since i'm the one that fills it up and resets the odo, I know all the numbers are good....

I guess she is a slow steady rider... and doesn't twist the throttle hardly at all! She is probably riding it like it was the little 250 rebel.

Oh and Dave.... I got on my savage today, to ride it... cause it looked lonely sitting there...

Its not an addiction...... its a madness..... at least they don't talk to me..... out loud anyway Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/15/15 at 19:55:31

My 98 consistently got in the mid 70s mpg with stock jetting, no air box door and a very free breathing exhaust.

My 2003 can barely hit 45 mpg, downhill with a strong tailwind. And the exact same exhaust system (used the one off the fried 98 on the newer bike).

More proof that the Savage/S40 is a haunted platform. My 03 is definitely channeling the spirit of my old BSA Gold Star...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 06/16/15 at 21:32:11

old rider, i need help.

i got the wireless version of the bell and cant seem to find a proper spot for the spoke magnet and moreso the sensor. probably because the wireless sensor is larger and not made for a motorcycle. I'm pretty creative, but this one is beating me.

how did you hook up your wired version. i may go swap for the wired if you can convince me it's easy Wink Wink Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 06/17/15 at 07:31:39

I heard the wireless version would not work on our Savage/S40 because it is too "noisy", I think it pertains to frequency interruption from the piston firing or something like that.

Here is a video I made of my setup.... LOL, I keep calling it a Dell, instead of a Bell.... can't figure that one out, says it right on the thing Smiley

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 06/17/15 at 08:22:14

Perfect, Thanks for the video!!!!  That's exactly what I had hoped to see.  I'll swap the wireless and get the wired installed tonight Smiley

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/17/15 at 08:50:43

Does it handle motorcycle speeds?... Accurate to 99mph?...

My buddy wants something like that for his Honda 750.  His odo display has gone south...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 06/17/15 at 09:10:43

After I get mine installed tonight, I'll get out on the super slab and set my phone on GPS speed and hold it in my left hand whilst holding WOT with my right hand all while keeping an eye on the stock speedo to gauge that accuracy as well.  Maybe I'll close one eye too. Grin Grin Grin

I'm sure old rider has what you need, but I'll be sure to post some results, if needed, when I am done. I have never been past ~70mph so I won't be able to tell you what 99mph looks like  Shocked

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/17/15 at 09:18:29

With magnet located on the rim.....the magnet is whizzing past the sensor at nearly actual speed.  There may be a upper limit to just how fast the sensor can react and at some fast mph speed the sensor may fail to see the magnet go by.  If it works for old_rider.....there may not be a problem with having the magnet on the rim.

If you were to locate the magnet down on the brake disc or wheel hub, it would be traveling far slower when it passes the magnet.  If you have trouble with the sensor on the rim.....try moving things down to the brake disc/hub.  (Not on the outer diameter of the brake disc where it has to pass through the caliper).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:26:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Gas mileage what? How does she do it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.