Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike Master aftermarket turn signal installation (Read 183 times)
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Bike Master aftermarket turn signal installation
06/14/15 at 11:39:58

Hey all. I bought these Bike Master turn signals, hoping to replace my OEMs on the rear: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44761/i/bikemaster-spear-led-turn-signals. The site said they're compatible but I'm finding that's not quite the case. Has anyone installed these as rear signals?

I'm still learning my way around the bike and trying to learn how to make these kinds of mods. I have a decent set of tools but not any kind of sophisticated garage or anything.

Anyway - any help is appreciated! Thanks.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Bike Master aftermarket turn signal installati
Reply #1 - 06/14/15 at 16:29:26

You should be fine. I had a broken stem on my rear turn signals and replaced them with after market units.  The hardest part was getting the factory units off.  Take the seat off and do one side at a time. You will want to reuse the original wires and connectors by splicing the "new" units into the old wires. (Black goes to Black) Make certain that there are no bare wire to get shorted or wet, test before you button every thing up and Bob's your uncle.  If you have a friend who has some experience wiring, bribe them with a cold one to look over your shoulder the first time.    I had to use rubber grommets to get mine to fit properly .   Patience is the key....          

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #2 - 06/14/15 at 16:49:06

OK, areas of concern...

Number 1, you're replacing filament bulbs with LEDS, so your blinker relay won't work. You'll need to add a Blinker Buddy or some type of resistor so the draw is the same.

Number 2, just about any type of turn signal can be replaced, the mounts don't need to be the same, the locations don't need to be the same, you just need to securely attach them to the bike and hook the wires up correctly.

Number 3, back to the electrical load, if you switch to LEDS and reduce the electrical load by 15 or 20 watts, you need to add a comparable load to prevent the rectifier from having to absorb the extra wattage. The electrical systems on our bikes are not designed to cope with much of a swing, and 20 watts may not sound like much, but that's 10% of the alternator output... so it's a pretty good chunk of the system load.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 06/15/15 at 20:33:43

I can't see how anyone could call those blinkers "compatible" with a savage. They are LEDs and 1/3rd the size of the original shock-mounted turn signals. If they consider them comparable just because it is a 10mm stud and 2 wires...well, that leaves a crapload of room for differences.

If you like the original part there are lots of them on Ebay   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Turn-Signal-Suzuki-LS650-VS700-VS750-VS800-VS140...

If all that is broken is the shock mount, those are replaceable  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Turn-Signal-Mount-12-1216-Free-USA-Shipping-/3...

If you are set on the new LED blinkers, there are easy to install kits on Amazon or Ebay (example)  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Bulb-Load-Resistors-Flashers-Turn-Signals-Indicat...

Since they are in the back there is plenty of room to stash the load resistors under the seat.

I've been wiring and soldering for most of my adult life...so if you have any electrical hook-up questions I'd be more than happy to help.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/16/15 at 04:22:29

koehlerrk wrote on 06/14/15 at 16:49:06:
Number 3, back to the electrical load, if you switch to LEDS and reduce the electrical load by 15 or 20 watts, you need to add a comparable load to prevent the rectifier from having to absorb the extra wattage. The electrical systems on our bikes are not designed to cope with much of a swing, and 20 watts may not sound like much, but that's 10% of the alternator output... so it's a pretty good chunk of the system load.

I can't see how the wattage of the turns signals makes much of any difference.  You use the turn signals maybe 1% of the time you are riding the bike......maybe?  I have had LED turns signals and tail light on my bike for the last 3 years and I have not burned out anything yet.

I do believe however that you are going to find out those cheap (NON-DOT) turns signals are completely ineffective in the sunshine or even daylight.  Sure you can see they are blinking if you stare at them - but they won't get the attention of a distracted driver.  I tried a set of them on my bike and when tested in the sunshine....they were worthless and I sent returned them. You really need better turn signals.  Look for some original equipment "take-offs" from the sport bike owners who remove really nice turns signals to put on crappy LED's that can't be seen....they are nice bright lights that will allow drivers behind you to see them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 06/16/15 at 15:22:18

I added similar blinkers to mine after removing the lolly pop style ones, I simply moved the new blinkers to a lower position so I could add larger bags for the back. I bought a blinker relay that will slow the leds down, but kept them fast....until the local law tells me I can't.

I often use what I have on hand to "mod".... so my You Tube moniker for the vids is "back yard bill"... if folks don't like my mods... I suggest don't do them. Mine work for me....I make the videos so people can get ideas....... I used a c/b bracket (u shaped) and bolted it to the license plate bracket and ran the wires under the fender (zip tied to brake light cable), and up to the original wires under the seat, I used the round push pins that came with the blinkers to plug into the bike harness (mine is a 2001).
Oh and the trunk... is a Harley Davidson ultimate tourpack (biggest they make)...

P.S. You are in an area where there are about 4 or 5 other savage riders... perhaps a get together with one or two would help?  We just had a ride out to Kerrville last month, I came from florida to see them.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - 06/16/15 at 15:36:41

Thanks for these detailed replies, all! And the info on what to watch out for. Boogie_with_stu, I really appreciate those links to the stock lights on eBay. I looked about a week ago and, for some reason, couldn't find them at a decent price. But this is just what the doctor ordered. I chose to return the LEDs and buy the OEM parts off eBay. Keep things simple for now.

A Savage get together would be great! I'm down in Austin and I've seen at least two Savages out on the road a few times so they're out there somewhere...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 06/16/15 at 15:45:37

Below is a link to the thread where we planned it.... you can see who went and look at their names to see where they live.... send a couple of messages for hello and see who replies...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1414666722

I am sure they would do another ride, if they didn't have to go too far Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 06/16/15 at 16:21:41

Glad I could help Cool

My left rear signal was damaged when I got this bike...the rubber mount was torn in the middle. I looked for ages to find the shock mount just by itself, and in the process I found those OEM signals.

As for LED signals, I dont think it is anything that will hurt the bike...it's just the fact that the blinker module gets wonky and runs too fast. Constant draw running lights or headlight, that is different. I dont know much about how the bike electrical system is loaded (ie, balanced, unbalanced, open end, regulated) but it doesnt seem right to me that the rectifier HAS to put out the standard 200 watts or so. Pulling more would certainly overload the system, but pulling less should just mean that there is power to spare.

Just like a regulated DC power supply, it should put out about 12 Volts DC regardless of the load on it until the load is too much...at which point the voltage would sag below the optimum 12VDC.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/17/15 at 03:28:04

The charging system on the Savage is believed to be about 100 watts total.  It doesn't give you many extra watts to play with.  Some folks who ride short trips can run the battery down as the charging system can't keep up with the battery drain that occurs when starting the bike.

Adding some LED's does give the bike a bit more charging to replenish the battery.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 06/17/15 at 15:26:11

We have a permanent magnet alternator on our bikes.  It runs at full output all the time.  The rectifier/regulator does NOT work like the regulator on a car alternator.

The RPM of the engine is the only governor for what comes out from the stator.

The reg/rec has the job of changing the AC from the stator to DC which we can use. That is the rectifier part.  The regulator senses the output voltage of the R/R on the DC side.  When the voltage goes above the set point, the regulator grounds out the extra power.  

Our voltage is regulated by varying the load since the output of the alt can't be varied.  Any power over and above what is required by the bike is shunted to ground inside the R/R.  That's why the fins.  It gets hot doing this.  If you free up extra power and don't do something to absorb it again, it's just more power the regulator has to short to ground.  This increases the load on the regulator and the amount of heat it generates.

If the system were perfectly balanced, you wouldn't need the regulator part, just the rectifier.  But since output varies with RPM, allowances have to be made so that charging occurs at normal speeds. At speeds higher than the manufacturer considered their 'normal', excess power is generated, if there is nothing to use the power, it is shorted to ground, heating up the regulator. At lower than 'normal' speeds, the system puts out power but not enough to cover all of the loads...you are partially running off the battery. The regulator is allowing every bit of power generated to go straight through to feed the bike. The  regulator will stay nice and cool when operating like this.

Too much excess power is actually bad for the R/R.  You want it to dump some power but not lots of it.  This is why our charging system only has 1 or 2 amps left over for charging the battery. So, it won't cook the battery and it won't cook the regulator when the battery is full.

I hope this helps someone a little with understanding our charging system.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 06/17/15 at 19:28:25

Excellent reply Steve, and thank you for the clarification.

So you are saying that the battery is being used to keep the headlight at max brightness at idle speeds? That would mean that idling the bike for long periods could kill the battery. Seems a very odd way to wire a late model bike.

A quick follow up question, can I use the "charging port/connector" of the bikes battery tender circuit and hook it up to a regular 12 volt high quality trickle charger? It doesn't seem that there would be a problem using that as an access point rather than cracking the battery cover all the time.

« Last Edit: 06/18/15 at 09:52:36 by Boogie_with_Stu »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:19:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Master aftermarket turn signal installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.