Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gas flood engine? (Read 155 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
gas flood engine?
06/11/15 at 20:52:38

hey...is it possible for gas to flow (like sitting overnight) from the tank down into the bowl of the carb, then into the cylinder and eventually mix with the oil? im having some strange stuff happen with this carb. I'll more know tomorrow when I do an oil change.

the hose coming off my crankcase breather dealy was kinked and when I unkinked it gasoline dripped out. i wish i cud find a small cone filter breather for it. it spits oil and i dont have a nice place for this hose.

So I installed an inline fuel filter and noticed that when I first installed it I had quite a problem getting any gas to flow then as I started riding it it started to fill up more and then overnight it filled up three quarters of the way. when I tried to start it this morning it smelt a lot of gas and it took a long time to light. no choke

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Re: gas flood engine?
Reply #1 - 06/11/15 at 21:03:40

Test your petcock first for the fuel problem. The hose that comes off the head should be vented back into your airbox. The oil in the airbox should be drained when doing an oil change.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 06/12/15 at 02:49:18

Yes.  It is possible for the crankcase to fill with gas.

It is the result of a float valve problem.  Your float needle isn't seating all the way and is still allowing gas to flow into the carb.

If you still have your stock petcock, it has failed.  Fix your carb and either repair the petcock or replace it with a raptor petcock.

If you already have a raptor, turning off the petcock would have prevented this.  You still would have the carb problem. Just the symptom would not have shown itself.  Fix your carb.

Of course, if there is gas in your oil, you will need to change the oil before riding.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/12/15 at 04:24:34

Boogie you should mention all your mods so we don't go sending you chasing wild hairs.

You should be turning your petcock off every time you get off the bike.
You must be flooding and gas going up the vents and some may get into the breather.

I'd check your petcock to make sure it's shutting off

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/12/15 at 04:27:26

And yes if the carb is flooding it will go into the cylinder and down into the case

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 06/12/15 at 05:00:51

I bought my bike as a neglected and unloved bike. After I performed my cafe racer mod I started the engine and fuel was pouring (shooting) out of the breather. When I drained the fluid out of the crankcase there was over a gallon of a fuel/oil mix. The culprit was the fuel value. A Raptor fuel valve solved the problem.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #6 - 06/12/15 at 05:10:48

oh ya that's right. i have a sportster tank, so no raptor. i guess i will have to remember to shut it off everytime. i seriously hate this carb. it jst contsantly givs me problems. jst dont have money for the lancer upgrade. its not as easy as take the thing apart and fix it cuz it's friggin aged.

Why is my float valve not seating all the way? more crud in gas? bad seal? never had to turn ny valve off b4...ever. darn!!! im trying to ride outta this town. when i "cleaned" the float valve, I couldn't get the pin out so I basically just sprayed pressurized Carb cleaner through it and made sure it held vacuum. cudnt get the pit out without busting the carb.

Hey where do i get a decent timing chain for this thing? sounds like a bunch of marbles in my top end. psh...yet another issue lol

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/12/15 at 09:07:22

Big problem,.. but an easy one...
Make sure your floats do float... then, get a new float needle and seat...

Sometimes, over time, the float needle's rubber tip becomes hardened, and no longer seals...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #8 - 06/12/15 at 11:22:39

well like i said everything is jacked up. cant remove pin to remove floats to remove rest of crap.

floats do float. that darn spring thing came off and was at the bottom of my bowl. how does it go back on? I don't know if this matters but when I turn the carb right side up like it normally sits and suck through the gas inlet it seals and then falls when i release suction.

how much does it end up costing for the lancer carb upgrade once everything is said and done?

IMG_20150612_110910.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #9 - 06/12/15 at 11:23:29

sitting normal

IMG_20150612_111020.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #10 - 06/12/15 at 11:24:06

pushed down

IMG_20150612_110959.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #11 - 06/12/15 at 13:55:23

right...well i put that little metal clip dealy back in the way i imagine it came out, i mean there is only two ways. hooked up the fuel, turned the petcock on, watched the fuel flow out of the bottom of the carburetor with the bowl off, lightly pressed up on the floats and saw it stopped and did this several times until I was confident that it works like it should. changed my oil, put everything back together. hopefully she's good for a while.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/12/15 at 15:39:47

We shall hope with you..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 06/12/15 at 18:08:10

You know that pin only comes out one side.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #14 - 06/12/15 at 20:55:15

...ya the dark side

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:18:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas flood engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.