Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear Brake Help (Read 76 times)
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
Rear Brake Help
06/11/15 at 16:55:18

I took off the rear brake lever on the rear hub. Looked simple enough. Putting it back on is proving a challenge.
I can't get the spring seated correctly.

When I hang it around the lever or I put it in the little hole in the hub, either way, I can't get the lever to move into the correct position down the spindle it attaches to. The spring binds up and wont let it sink into position.

I've been banging my knuckles for 1/2 an hour and was getting ready to try bending the spring with pliers. That's how I knew I needed to take a breath and ask the forum.

Guys (and gals), any advice would be appreciated.

New Hampshire. 2003 SL650. 13k miles. Raptor installed. Versy adjuster. Rotella 6 w/zinc. Idle mix plug out. Seat front up 1". Owned since July 2013. Mechanically inclined. Better cook than mechanic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Rear Brake Help
Reply #1 - 06/11/15 at 20:10:51

If you have the bolt in, it won't go.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 06/12/15 at 02:58:26

Agree with JOG.

Also, you might have pushed the shaft in during your attempts.  If this has happened, you will have to remove the rear wheel to fix it unless you can find a way to pull it back out without damaging the splines.  If it's like most of the brake cams I've seen, the only thing holding it in place is the cam itself on the back side and the lever on the outside. I have not taken the lever off of mine yet so I am not 100% about what's holding it in place but that's how it usually works.

Set spring in hole.  Remove bolt from lever. Install lever onto splined shaft. Install bolt. pull spring around lever.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/12/15 at 03:03:18

I put bolt, nuts back where they come from, makes going back together less of a puzzle. Its slow, but so is scratching heads,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/12/15 at 04:14:48

Wheel off the bike?
Remove shoes then you can align it all.

WWW   IP Logged
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 06/12/15 at 13:20:03

It's pulling the spring back around the lever that's kicking my tushy.Once the lever is in place on the shaft, and the shaft is where it should be, there's not enough room between the lever and the cover to get the spring thru.

New Hampshire. 2003 SL650. 13k miles. Raptor installed. Versy adjuster. Rotella 6 w/zinc. Idle mix plug out. Seat front up 1". Owned since July 2013. Mechanically inclined. Better cook than mechanic.
  IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #6 - 06/12/15 at 13:28:20

Had the same problem when I  changed to a straight arm instead of the offset. Made the Dyna fit easier than doing an offset pipe.  The cam moves in/out just enough to make seating the spring impossible.

Don't beat yourself up...the brake works fine with just the return springs on the shoes.  Mine has for over a thousand miles.  The outer spring will get reinstalled when I replace the rear tire...which is in the basement...another project soon.  Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 06/13/15 at 04:27:04

Figured it out. I had the lever to far forward so it would over lap with where the cover bumps out wide. I rotated it towards the back and all the room I need. Viola!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:30:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Brake Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.