Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rotella T6 for my Tundra? (Read 86 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Rotella T6 for my Tundra?
06/10/15 at 12:12:36

2004 Tundra V8, ~205,000 miles. Always used conventional oil at the jiffy lube.

Last oil change I did myself and used Valvoline max life synthetic blend. Seems fine.

Time for another oil change and I can actually get the Rotella T6 cheaper than the other as it's what I use in the S40 also.

So......drum roll please......What are your thoughts on me using the T6 in the Tundra from here on out, especially considering its mileage?  
Good?  Bad?  Since it's a "diesel" oil is it going to do mean things to my precious engine that purrs like a kitten?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Rotella T6 for my Tundra?
Reply #1 - 06/10/15 at 14:36:00

My non-scientific answer would be to go ahead and use an oil with friction modifiers in it, since the engine is probably designed for it. I don't think Rotella would gain you anything.

I would check your manual for the API rating (SM or whatever) that it recommends and go with something that at least meets that requirement.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/10/15 at 14:46:10

online manual says:

API grade SL “Energy Conserving” or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 06/11/15 at 10:42:51

O'Reillys Page on http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SHE4/SYN5401/N1189.oap?ck=Search_N11... says it's "API SM and ILSAC GF-4" and according to this Bobistheoilguy thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2123023, SM exceeds SL.  You'd probably want to track down the correct weight.  I know the VVTi engines from Toyota want 5w40 or lower usually.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 06/11/15 at 11:45:07

I usually use 5w30 if using the jiffy lube or with the previous oil change I did myself, but the 5w40 is what they sell at the local WM and is most prevalent.

5w40 a bad idea?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/15/15 at 23:16:30

Do you have oxygen sensors on the exhaust system of your Tundra?

If so, stay away from ZDDP laden oils -- the whole reason they took the ZDDP out of automotive oils was to protect the sensors used in modern cars.

Flat tappet cam systems like the Savage DO REQUIRE ZDDP (and a goodly amount of it) but your Tundra does not use flat tappets.   And I think it does use oxygen sensors .....

So no, not the best idea.

Wally does sell 10W30 synthetic oil which is what I put in my cars.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 06/16/15 at 06:36:27

Yep, there are several sensors on the exhaust as noted, so I'll go another direction on the oil.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/18/15 at 21:49:48

My Lumina has O2 sensors, I've used Rotella in it with no issues, but not on a regular basis (basicaly if it's low and Rotella is all I have on hand I use it)
I'd stick with what you usually use, it got you to the break-in mileage (200K)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/19/15 at 04:37:35

I have been using Rotella T in my Pontiac Vibe for the last 3 years and the O2 sensor is still doing fine (just turned 100,000 miles and about 40,000 have been with Rotella T).  I do realize the additional ZDDP may someday affect the O2 sensor - but I tend to believe the EPA over reacts a bit and most likely the sensor failure will not occur for a while.  In the winter months I use a thinner oil as the 15W-40 is just a bit too thick for winter use in my car.

My car has a single O2 sensor and with the money I am saving by not using expensive oils....I most likely could finance a new O2 sensor when the time comes that I need one.

I also use Rotella T in my tractor and my lawn mowers.  Why not?....It is affordable and keeps everything running fine.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 06/19/15 at 05:21:31

Yep, I ran it in my Acura -- and I replaced one of the O2 sensors (I had 2) about every 6-8 years.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/19/15 at 09:01:50

Back when I was doin a lot, I bought 13 gallons of Rotella T. Woulda got more, but the shop only holds so much and I started thinking I was hearing light sabers humming as my wifes eyes traced the path of each jug from shelf to basket.. Ehhh, what does she know about stocking up when the price is right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:19:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rotella T6 for my Tundra?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.