Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Will air cooled engines overheat during long idles (Read 404 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Will air cooled engines overheat during long i
Reply #15 - 06/08/15 at 13:43:17

"Parade" mode, HA!   Grin

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/08/15 at 14:46:41

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/a11811/harley-davidson-rear-...

Potato..potato....pot...pot....potato..potato....pot.....pot.....pot....potato.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/08/15 at 17:45:56

Thanks for all of your input.  

Dave, you mentioned Rotella T6 synthetic oil.  I saw that oil in the store and looked at the specs on the bottle.  It said that it was Diesel oil!   It did have the Jaso recommendation (I think that's what is recommended).

Is diesel oil Rotella T6 used in the S40? ... Or am I looking at the wrong oil?

Thanks,
Ron G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 06/08/15 at 18:29:07

Shell Rotella T and T-6 are Heavy Duty Engine Oils.....which can be used in diesel and gasoline engines.  It is also rated for use in motorcycles and is safe for wet clutches.

You can read more about oil in this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 06/08/15 at 20:22:44

Being a diesel rated oil, it will clean the internals as well. If your engine hasn't had an oil change in an extremely long time then change it with Rotella and run it about 500-1000 miles then change it again. The Rotella will clear out any gunk left by other inferior oils.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/09/15 at 12:48:36

Thanks for the oil information.  I guess I did look at the correct oil.  This website is really great for finding people that know about the Savage.

Thanks again!
Ron G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 06/09/15 at 17:46:05

I live in Houston and I know just what you're dealing with.  I too have big concerns about overheating.  Even though it's not legal here in Texas, I lane split.  I'd rather pay a little ticket than damage my motor.

Since we're talking about oil, I'd like to tap the knowledge of the members here.  I'm seeing a lot of posts about Rotella but I've been running this.  How does it compare and should I switch?

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-4t-motorcycle-oil

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #22 - 06/09/15 at 18:19:40

One of the ways to reduce engine temperature in an air cooled engine is to reduce oil temperature.  (It also works in older liquid cooled auto engines.)   Old VW Bugs and Porches had oil coolers inside the fan shrouds.      I installed an after market oil cooler on my (dry sump) '69 CB 750.  The '95 Nighthawk (wet sump) had a factory oil cooler.  I'm not sure what it would take to install a pressurized oil cooler on an S40.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - 06/09/15 at 19:31:56

I don't think the oil pressure is enough to run a cooler effectively. It seems dangerous to the engine. I'd hate to starve the bearings of oil.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 06/09/15 at 20:31:55

chzeckmate wrote on 06/09/15 at 17:46:05:
I live in Houston and I know just what you're dealing with.  I too have big concerns about overheating.  Even though it's not legal here in Texas, I lane split.  I'd rather pay a little ticket than damage my motor.

Since we're talking about oil, I'd like to tap the knowledge of the members here.  I'm seeing a lot of posts about Rotella but I've been running this.  How does it compare and should I switch?

Rotella would be a better choice IMO
first, racing oil, real racing oil, is only inteneded for short term use
Second, rotella has a fair bit of zinc, or zddp in it, which is good for flat tappet engines
Most cycle oils these days have very little of this lubricant, id any

strike that, it looks as though that oil does have ZDDP levels high enough for a savage

so if you don't mind the price, it's fine

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 06/09/15 at 20:46:11

Art Webb wrote on 06/09/15 at 20:31:55:

Second, rotella has a fair bit of zinc, or zddp in it, which is good for flat tappet engines

I had heard this before, but I assumed that racing oil is usually only good for short term use because its primarily used for racing which is incredibly hard on it.  Of course that was just my assumption, I wasn't basing that on any real knowledge or experience.  Are you saying that racing oil is formulated in such a way that it just breaks down very quickly?  

By the way, the Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w-40 has 1300 ppm ZDDP.  That's the reason that I got it initially.  Someone told me that ZDDP is important for the S40.  I took it at face value and made this selection based on that.  

I've only put around 1k on this oil.  Am I safe to run the full cycle or should I change it sooner?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 06/09/15 at 20:53:44

chzeckmate wrote on 06/09/15 at 20:46:11:
Art Webb wrote on 06/09/15 at 20:31:55:

I had heard this before, but I assumed that racing oil is usually only good for short term use because its primarily used for racing which is incredibly hard on it.  Of course that was just my assumption, I wasn't basing that on any real knowledge or experience.  Are you saying that racing oil is formulated in such a way that it just breaks down very quickly?  

By the way, the Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w-40 has 1300 ppm ZDDP.  That's the reason that I got it initially.  Someone told me that ZDDP is important for the S40.  I took it at face value and made this selection based on that.  

I've only put around 1k on this oil.  Am I safe to run the full cycle or should I change it sooner?

That's why I said strike that, the 4T has plenty of ZDDP, and despite being listed as 'racing', it's sheet reads like a general use oil, so I don't think it's real racing oil, which is formulated differently, just a high quality synthetic with plenty of ZDDP and the name racing for marketing reasons

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 06/09/15 at 20:55:13

Mobil 1
Racing™ 4T 10W‐40 1200 1300
Advanced full synthetic formulas
designed specifically for
motorcycles where clutch
lubrication is also important.
All motorcycles where
10W‐40 is specified.
SN, JASO MA1

if it was real race oil it would say 'race only' on the sheet

so it's fine, if you're happy with the price, run it, IMO

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - 06/09/15 at 20:57:08

Art Webb wrote on 06/09/15 at 20:55:13:
That's why I said strike that, the 4T has plenty of ZDDP, and despite being listed as 'racing', it's sheet reads like a general use oil, so I don't think it's real racing oil, which is formulated differently, just a high quality synthetic with plenty of ZDDP and the name racing for marketing reasons

Oh, I didn't see the "strike that" part for some reason...So, basically they just label it "Racing" to jack up the price...Well, if the Rotella is just as good but considerably cheaper then I think I'll still switch to that and save some loot.  

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 06/09/15 at 21:00:09

if it's cheaper, i probably would too (I don't know the price of the Mobile 1) but I sure wouldn't change it before I got my use out of it
actually has a bit more zddp than Rotella, it seems
IIRC Rotella had 1200, enough, but not a bit more  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:32:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will air cooled engines overheat during long idles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.