Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Will air cooled engines overheat during long idles (Read 404 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Will air cooled engines overheat during long idles
06/07/15 at 14:52:26

Maybe some experts on this site can help.  

Since the Suzuki S40 is an air cooled engine, will the engine overheat during long idles? ... Such as when you get caught in a long traffic jam, or slow moving traffic, or slow traffic from commutes or accidents?

Where I live one can easily get caught up in traffic where you may have stop and go traffic for miles ... sometimes up to a half hour of slow movement.  Kind of worried about how it may affect the lack of air flow in the S40 air cooled engine.

I understand that some companies offer cooling fans (also called parade fans) for Harley Davidsons (which also have air cooled engines).  The claim is that they really help.

Should I be worried?  Open to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,
Ron G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Will air cooled engines overheat during long i
Reply #1 - 06/07/15 at 15:02:23

This could turn into a lively discussion...
I know a really smart guy in Houston who runs premium when it's hot.
He has much experience with engines, building and racing,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #2 - 06/07/15 at 15:02:59

Im not 100% but i would think it would overheat but would take quite awhile if it was running at idle.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 06/07/15 at 17:59:59

My opinion is an air cooled engine should be able to idle until it runs out of fuel without overheating.  However, given how scant the cooling fins are on this engine, I don't know.  I have seen it recommended several times that if you're going to be sitting for a long while, turn it off.

I have not tried idling for long periods with this engine.  I have sat at long lights in the summer and driven slowly at meets and stuff and never had it overheat. I guess if you're worried, you could always get a parade fan.  It couldn't hurt to have more air moving over the cylinder in the heat.

Just remember that idling is barely if even charging so you'll most likely be running it off the battery.  Too long and your battery will get weak.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/07/15 at 18:13:12

Yup,... they'll overheat...

Harley's do it Beemer's do it, my 225 Yamaha, Honda 360, Hodaka 125...
I think any air-cooled bike will... on a hot day, in still air...

They ain't generators, they are designed to move...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/07/15 at 18:24:58

I had a a temperature gauge mounted on the the head for a while, and it would approach 300 degrees on 95 degree days crawling up a gravel mountain road while at the Dragon, and while MMRanch made me ride down the main street in Pigeon Forge on a similarly hot day.  I turned the engine off multiple times when we were just sitting.

I do worry about excessive heat when those conditions arise.  It may not be overheating....but it certainly is abusing the rubber seals and gaskets if nothing else.

Might be that you should consider driving on the berm and taking the next side road when you hit those long traffic jams.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/07/15 at 18:44:22

Question

How to increase heat sink surface/capacity/efficiency..
Something removable
Not horrid looking

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 06/08/15 at 00:26:40

Years ago I was skiing at the river and saw this guy with a home built kneeler (like a little hydroplane kind of thing) that had a Beetle engine in. He'd rigged up some kind of sprayer that picked water from the river and ejected in an atomised spray through the barrels and heads. Everwhere he went he was followed by a cloud of steam. According to him there was never a problem with it. Might be a little impractical on the Savage though.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/08/15 at 04:03:23

There is no doubt that the water cooled bikes with radiators are better able to handle the heat when idling for long periods.  They have fans that kick on when the radiator temperature rises.

Our Savage does not really have an excess amount of cooling fins for the engine size.  Also we have a pretty low oil flow volume at idle speed, and the camshaft does not have any bearings and spins in the machined aluminum head.  I believe the crankshaft bearings can handle periods of low oil flow and high temperatures pretty well, the big concerns in my opinion would be the breakdown of the oil film in the piston/cylinder and the cam shaft in the cylinder head...as well as the heat deteriorating the gaskets and rubber parts like seals and the problematic head plug that is prone to leaking oil.

If you are going to be in those scenarios that make you sit for extended periods - you may want to use the Rotellat T-6 synthetic oil which can handle heat a little better than the Dino oil.  And you may want to consider turning the engine off when you are going to be sitting for a while.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 06/08/15 at 05:16:56

Dave wrote on 06/08/15 at 04:03:23:
And you may want to consider turning the engine off when you are going to be sitting for a while.        

If I were stuck in traffic like that I would consider:

1) turning off the engine and doing the Fred Flintstone crawl; i.e move along using foot power

2) if the conditions are right, lane split my way through until the pace picks up.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 06/08/15 at 05:24:08

For those who ride an air-cooled V-twin, how does the rear piston stay cool?  I always wondered about that?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/08/15 at 07:25:36

pg wrote on 06/08/15 at 05:24:08:
For those who ride an air-cooled V-twin, how does the rear piston stay cool?  I always wondered about that?

They don't,..not if they are air-cooled...
Newer big Harleys now have a "parade" mode, in which the rear cylinder shuts off at a certain temperature...
Harley thumpers!... finally!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 06/08/15 at 07:56:37

Proper v twins Wink have the engine in an "L" configuration where the front cylinder lays down and the rear one is vertical,thumper style. Or a transverse v with a pot out each side. Either layout gives good airflow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/08/15 at 08:14:26

Call me impatient. Sitting on a bike, its hot, no fun...
I carried a water bottle, that pumped up and had valve and nozzle, cool mist. Refilled water bottles in the bag.
A stop at the water hose, to wet the tshirt under the long sleeve, left partly unsnapped. Tractor Supply welders shirts, heavy duty.
Anyway, I ll drive out of my way, drive farther and longer to avoid sitting.
Even if im in a car and I have AC, I despise sitting at a light for more than two cycles. Once is plenty for me.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/08/15 at 10:31:42

I won't use the drive through at a fast food place, or the bank
If I gotta wait, the folks I'm waiting on can provide the AC and I'll save the gas

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:18:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will air cooled engines overheat during long idles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.