Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley (Read 444 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley
06/07/15 at 09:12:38

The pulley came from a 1986 EN454. As per instructions on this site I had it professionally machined down to the size of the stock pulley hub. It spins freely and runs true. There's no slack in the splines. It FITS fine. It does not, however, RUN fine! The belt seems to ride up on the teeth like the teeth are not meshing correctly. There's also a grinding sound when a belt tooth tries to mesh with the pulley tooth. It's like the pulley teeth are not quite exactly the same as the stock pulley teeth. Anyone else have a similar problem?

I hate to not use this pulley. I really want this to work correctly without chewing up my belt.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley
Reply #1 - 06/07/15 at 09:47:58

There are only a handful of folks that have used this pulley, and as far as I know there have not been any problems.  Serowbot used one for a while but did not like the gearing change.  MMRanch has used one for a couple of years, and is still running his.  I have used mine for about 4,000 miles.

I read your thread and went out and looked at my pulley and belt.  They both look fine, no wear marks on the belt, the pulley has the top of the teeth all polished up and shiny from the belt....every thing looks just like it should and the wear marks match the marks on the stock pulley.  I also measured the teeth on the Kawasaki and Suzuki pulleys and the width of the tooth and space are exactly the same....the Kawasaki teeth are slightly taller - but that should not affect anything as the top of the teeth ride in the grooves of the belt....the belt teeth do not touch the bottom of the pulley (that is why the bottom of the pulley teeth are never polished shiny by the belt).

Look closely to see if there isn't some bolt sticking out and touching the belt someplace, or a part of the belt guard that doesn't like the larger diameter of the pulley.  I can't see anything about the pulley teeth that would not mesh with the belt.  You can take your pulley off and see how the belt fits into the teeth if you still believe something about the pulley teeth is wrong.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/07/15 at 09:53:16

Did you double check the machining?
Never trust someone else's work on something like this, (or your own for that matter) always verify

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 06/07/15 at 12:11:43

I know it's the pulley that's the problem. I can see the belt trying to mesh with the pulley. If you look from the back of the bike along the belt as you spin the tire, you can see the belt jumping a little each time it tries to mesh with the pulley teeth. I think the grinding sound is the belt teeth not playing nice with the pulley.

This is even after aligning the rear tire with the adjusters and a tape measure. I can watch the edge of the pulley while it's spinning and see absolutely no wobble. I even just barely touched the edge of the pulley and spun it (with belt connected for tension) to try to see if I could feel a small wobble. The machine work is dead on. It spins absolutely true.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/07/15 at 13:03:58

Id feel of the leading edges of the teeth on the pulley. Run a finger between them all.
How's the tension on the belt?
This has been done successfully, so,either the belt is deformed or the pulley has been damaged, but, id probably be considering removing the rear tire and securing the bike, (hold that thought)

Silver marker, black marker, belt tight, too tight for riding.
Roll the bike gently, when you feel it snag, mark the belt, silver 1, pulley, black 1,
See if you can find a spo on the pulley or belt that tends to grab.
Or is this
Every tooth, every time?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #5 - 06/07/15 at 13:32:45

maybe there is a difference in the years of the LTD tooth of the pulley.

I am currently having this done with a machinist and he showed me a difference in the width of the teeth on the pulley to the stock one.

If I remember it was something in the likes of .002in smaller at the top of the teeth. He didnt think it would make any difference but he did say there was a possibility that it still wouldnt work.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/07/15 at 13:51:24

2 thousandth s , that just doesn't Sound like enough to be a problem..

Guys, if the pulley is straight, no dings to catch, and the belt doesn't have any obvious distortions to keep it from slipping tooth to groove right, could the answer be putting a radius on the trailing edge of the teeth?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #7 - 06/07/15 at 14:05:19

Is it possible the guard not reinstalled back correctly, missing a rubber spacer or something?

Is it grinding with the cover guard off? Could be the smallest thing and I would imagine those nubs would make a horrible grinding sound hitting metal and they are in sync with the teeth on the pulley so might appear that its the teeth.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/07/15 at 15:14:33

Take the pulley cover off the side of the engine so you can look at the pulley in operation.  Then jack up the bike and spin the rear wheel and watch to see what happens.

I have a belt off a 2001 that I can loan you so that you don't screw up your good belt while you try to figure out what is going on.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/07/15 at 15:59:27

Might not matter, but I'd mark the direction of the belt rotation before I pulled it.
Heyyy, maybe that IS the problem, the teeth are slightly tilted from accelerating...

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 06/08/15 at 10:47:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/07/15 at 15:59:27:
Might not matter, but I'd mark the direction of the belt rotation before I pulled it.
Heyyy, maybe that IS the problem, the teeth are slightly tilted from accelerating...

Oh, good call!!  Wink I second the question of pre-modification belt travel direction.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 06/08/15 at 12:01:04

Well, the belt guards are not installed yet and the bike is still in the air. I did ride it once to the end of the driveway and back. It's pretty loud. You can spin the rear tire by hand and watch each side of the belt try to engage the pulley teeth. 1st left side then right, etc. It's like the belt is wobbling over the teeth.

When I set the belt tension I did check to see that the rear tire was running true with a tape measure. I measured the leading edge of the swing arm pivot to the the center of the rear axle bolt. The rear tire is not cocked to one side or other. The belt should run just as straight. I have zero problems with the stock belt/pullies.

The Kawasaki pulley looks completely undamaged in any way shape or form. The teeth are nice and smooth and show no signs of abuse. The stock belt only has ~4500 miles and I don't abuse it. Both sides of the belt teeth look the same. The belt doesn't even look worn.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/08/15 at 12:22:10

Well something is not as is should be - as the Kawasaki pulley does work fine with the Suzuki belt.  Most likely the Kawasaki and Suzuki both had the belt made by Bando.

There is very little room for error in the machining of the front pulley - if he machined it wrong it won't fit between the engine case and pulley cover without rubbing.  

Did you have the back wheel off and maybe interchange the spacers on the back axle?

Did your machinist weld the cover plates on instead of knocking down the tabs with a punch......maybe that distorted the pulley or side plates somehow.  Take the pulley off and see if the stock pulley and Kawasaki pulley both engage the loose belt the same way when you roll the pulleys in the belt by hand.

You are the only one able to look the bike over and figure out what is wrong...we are not there to look at it with you.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/08/15 at 15:01:46

What ifhe got it too narrow?

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #14 - 06/08/15 at 15:33:41

I remember when I first did this mod I had my belt tension wrong the first time around it. It sounded pretty stressed out. After I loosened it up it sounded right though.

Take some pictures and post what you are looking at with the belt jumping around. Maybe that will jog some answers.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.