Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley (Read 444 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley
Reply #30 - 06/10/15 at 18:41:01

Swapped to the Kawasaki pulley...AGAIN. This time I'm leaving it on there for a while until I can figure this out!  Cheesy

I gave it a little more slack this time and it ran better but still not good. I left the back end in the air and ran it up to around 20-25 mph in 3rd gear. It was a little noisy about 95% of the time. Just belt noise I guess. Maybe that's normal? I've never "ridden" 25 mph and stood beside the bike listening before!  Cheesy

The other 5% of the time got really noisy for about a second. Kind of a grinding sound like the belt wasn't engaging the pulley correctly. It doesn't seem to be a specific part of the pulley or the belt. I rolled the tire in the air by hand and watched for when it was "grinding". It seemed to be random.

Also, after having aligned the rear tire, I noticed the belt rides all the way to the left of the rear pulley. I pushed it to the center and spun the tire by hand and it went back to the left. The Kawasaki pulley has no gap at all between the flanges and the side of the belt. Is this normal?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 06/10/15 at 18:52:29

Find the spot,Mark belt and pulley, find out if it's random.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #32 - 06/10/15 at 18:53:21

Yeah, that's what I did. I'm very frustrated with this!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #33 - 06/10/15 at 19:37:28

Snap a pic of where you have your tension set on your belt and wheel aligned, I will do the same and post on this thread.

If you are still hearing the noise roll the belt around in neutral with you hand on the rear pulley that is where the noise that was coming from on mine.

If you feel any vibration on your hand in the rear pulley you KNOW its not the the front pulley and that it is either tension or alignment.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 06/10/15 at 21:10:17

Kris01 wrote on 06/10/15 at 18:53:21:
Yeah, that's what I did. I'm very frustrated with this!

Well, marks did what?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #35 - 06/11/15 at 08:34:49

Ok here is where I have my rear wheel set at on the marks

IMG_0516_1.JPG

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #36 - 06/11/15 at 08:40:41

Here is a little wear on the belt from 3 hrs or tinkering with the tension.

Took the bike for a hour ride today, this was pic before the ride and it looks like no other wear on the belt was done.

I checked the alignment and rode no hands at 30 and 40 to see if it was any wobble or pulling to either left or right. All seemed a ok.  

Is there any burs from the milling on the outer side of the gear where the gear attaches to the trans shaft? I had to work mine on and off to chisel off the burs to get the gear all the way in where it was supposed to be.

IMG_0517.JPG

IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #37 - 06/11/15 at 17:20:43

Perhaps I over simplify, but when I line up my rear wheel, I don't worry about anything else besides the belt alinment i.e. how it runs in the pulleys. I spin the wheel and adjust so it runs dead center if I can. Get the tension right and I don't worry about marks or measurements. Without changing spacers, I figure, that's as good as it gets.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 06/11/15 at 18:00:57

Those marks in the belt looks like you have a rock or stone wedged in the bottom of the teeth....on either the front or rear pulley.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 06/11/15 at 20:01:57

Definitely something that doesn't move in a pulley.
Id be running a finger in every groove on the front pulley first.
A mirror might be helpful.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #40 - 06/14/15 at 18:00:09

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1349970207/30

Hmmm, I guess I'm not alone. This is an old thread but informative nonetheless. No update yet. I'm still working on it. There's definitely more noise than stock. I really don't want to ruin my belt.

mjs3790225 wrote on 10/17/12 at 13:17:29:
I did the Kawasaki pulley mod. I like the result. Did a 3700 mile trip over the summer with it no problems. Makes highway and parking lot driving a whole lot better. I had a machine shop friend lathe it down to the size of the stock one. Like everyone else has said, the material is really hard, and it took my buddy several bits to cut it. Only con I've had is an increase in belt noise. Haven't figured out where its coming from yet. O_o

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #41 - 06/15/15 at 19:47:11

Don't remember where you are exactly in the not so great state of TN...  but if you're close enough, bring it over and we'll check it out. I'm 20 miles NE of the Memphis limits line off TN-14 at the Tipton County line. And I have a spare belt as well if yours gets chewed up.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #42 - 06/16/15 at 07:48:39

Thanks WD but I took it off last night and put the stock pulley back on. I'm tired of messing with it. I've tried everything I know and still don't feel comfortable with the way it's sounding. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being louder than stock but something in the drivetrain is complaining. I'll probably sell it and go with chain. I'm just too frustrated with it to deal with it anymore.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 06/16/15 at 08:18:57

Can you take a photo of the pulley that shows what the teeth look like?

I installed a new pulley on mine, and it works fine.  It could be that on a used pulley the tip of the teeth have worn a bit flat and no longer have a rounded edge that allows the belt to engage smoothly.  As you belt shows....the belt has rounded corners and the pulley will need to have rounded corners on the teeth as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:28:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.