Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley (Read 444 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley
Reply #15 - 06/08/15 at 17:10:58

Well, how goes it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 06/08/15 at 20:39:46

Dave wrote on 06/08/15 at 12:22:10:
if he machined it wrong it won't fit between the engine case and pulley cover without rubbing.

It's not rubbing anything. I've quadruple checked EVERYTHING 10 times.

Did you have the back wheel off and maybe interchange the spacers on the back axle?  

The back wheel has been off exactly once in the life of the bike. When I replaced the rear tire a few months ago the first thing I did was mark the spacers L and R with a paint pen. They are installed correctly (assuming the factory didn't screw up).

Did your machinist weld the cover plates on instead of knocking down the tabs with a punch......

Nope. Pulley is completely unmodified (except the machine work and I put 1 light coat of black paint on it).

Take the pulley off and see if the stock pulley and Kawasaki pulley both engage the loose belt the same way when you roll the pulleys in the belt by hand.

I actually tried that before I turned any wrenches. I rolled the Kawasaki pulley along the belt and didn't feel/hear anything out of the ordinary. Everything seems to mesh correctly until I put tension on the belt. Without any tension (rolling belt on pulley by hand), it all seems as smooth as glass. Do you think an overly tight belt would cause this? I did the 90° twist method but I think it might be a little tight.

we are not there to look at it with you.

See ya for dinner? Breakfast maybe?  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 06/08/15 at 22:40:12

Mine was noisy,... I assumed it was my bad machining...(based on everyone else's positive experience)...
..but, it did sound like each tooth was scrubbing to engage... (kinda' like the belt was coated in chewing gum)...

I rode it that way for a couple hundred miles,... but ultimately, decided I didn't like the gear spacing in the lower gears...

Can't say for sure,.. but I think Kris is seeing the same issue I had...
Can't say why either...

Sorry Kris,...  I never pursued the issue, although I did post it, some time back...
I was sure it was my caveman grinder work at fault, at the time...

Could it have anything to do with the age, and dryness of the belt?...
Mine,.. had over 20k miles, and I live in the driest conditions you can imagine...
In a way,.. I felt like if I had tightened the belt.. it might have pulled it into the teeth better,... but with 12" shocks I needed the slack for shock travel...
With that slack,.. the belt seemed to want to ride above the teeth, rather than settle in...

That's my experience,... in a nutshell

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 06/09/15 at 07:39:04

If you have access to another belt and you're reasonably skilled with hand held grinders,  might do some shaping..

But, I'd wanna have eyes on it to even start to know what is wrong.
Shield off, rear off the ground, good lighting, video ,roll forward and backward.
That's as close to us being there.
Then

Sprinkle some corn starch on the top of the bottom of the belt, roll tire backwards and see what that does.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 06/09/15 at 07:52:13

The Kawasaki belt is taller and rounded so if there is an issue its got to be our belt square edges catching on the edges of the pulley. I'd go in on the pulley and round the edges some.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/09/15 at 08:10:32

I wonder if the black paint is making the pulley sticky to the belt?  I only painted the outside and did not apply any paint on the teeth.....it would take very little time for the belt to wear the paint off of the teeth where it needs to be worn away.

My offer for a sacrificial belt still is still good.  I can send you a belt to put on the bike and use for a day or two to wear the paint off and see if the pulley will get used to the new home!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/09/15 at 09:21:35

Is anything wrong with that belt Dave?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 06/09/15 at 10:19:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/09/15 at 09:21:35:
Is anything wrong with that belt Dave?

The one I am offering was on a 2001 that most likely was run a bit tighter than it should have been.....it has those telltale little cracks on the outside from the belt being stretched a bit.  It should run just fine as I have seen several belts like this on bikes running around. I was offering it as the Guinea Pig to see if the pulley would chew up the belt or not.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 06/09/15 at 11:35:45

Well, mine had 20,000 miles on it, I accelerated as hard as possible a lot and just generally rode hard and it had at least one hole, poke a finger end in, maybe another, can not remember,,
I was gonna say that if the belt that is on it survives, okay, if not, then there is a spare.

I wish we could SEE what is happening.
And the distance between the inside of the edges.
If the belt is touching there , could be a problem.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 06/09/15 at 12:02:25

JOG wrote:

Quote:
And the distance between the inside of the edges.
If the belt is touching there , could be a problem.

There's a possibility. Any chance one of the flanges on the pulley somehow got bent in just enough to keep the belt from sliding all the way down on to the teeth. Even if it was just bent in one spot it might cause what you're seeing.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #25 - 06/09/15 at 12:10:57

Dave, thanks for the offer but I don't think another belt would do anything different. I've put the stock pulley back on for fear of ruining a good belt. I just might (when I have time) put the Kawasaki pulley back on loosen the belt some and see if that changes anything.

I'll probably remove the paint from the pulley too. I don't think that's the issue but it couldn't hurt. The flanges on the side of the pulley are as straight and even as they can be.

The belt rides fine on the new pulley until I put tension on it with the adjusters. That kinda leads me to my first statement about loosening the belt a little. Maybe it just needs a little more slack since the Kawasaki belt is not exactly the same as our belt.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 06/09/15 at 12:26:01

Well I am running a bit of slack, as the Cafe' bike no longer has a horizontal swing arm with the 13" shocks.  This causes the belt to tighten when the shocks are compressed....so you have to run the belt a bit looser.

The reason that I was offering this belt was not because I thought it would be any different - but as a way to ride it without taking a chance on screwing up your good belt.  If it didn't work out.....you could still go back to the stock pulley and your belt.

You really shouldn't give up on this.....it does work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 06/09/15 at 13:57:08

Bummer

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 06/09/15 at 19:27:30

Dave wrote on 06/09/15 at 12:26:01:
You really shouldn't give up on this.....it does work.

The bad thing is, I DO give up on this...a lot! ...and put the stocker back on. Then I get an idea and put the Kawasaki pulley back on. Rinse, repeat. I'm tired of working on it but excited to make it work...hopefully.

I don't want to have to convert to chain!  Sad

Again, thanks for the belt offer but it's so noisy trying to engage the teeth that I guarantee it would destroy the belt in no time. I have to make mine work. I may have some free time tomorrow afternoon. I'll try again and keep you guys posted.

This will probably make the 5th or 6th time trying to get this to work.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 06/10/15 at 02:17:16

Well lets see what kind of success jachase1980 has with his.  As he stated, and I forgot to mention....the rear axle does end up all the way forward in the adjustment slot to get the belt to have enough slack.  

Maybe that was the problem you were having....was the belt being to darn tight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unhappy with Kawasaki pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.