Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intermittent bogging at mid throttle (Read 64 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Intermittent bogging at mid throttle
06/06/15 at 17:38:14

Here's the skinny
150/52.5/1 washer (lancer kit) 3/4 turns on the screw/K&N cone/custom exhuast.
96 with 19k

So here's what she's doing. Every now and again at about 1/4 throttle during acceleration she bogs bad. If I wrap the throttle around it's like it breaks loose and fixes the issue.

3 days ago noticed gas dripping out of the air filter. Pulled the carb and the float seemed fine but the diaphragm rod(not sure what it's called) was sticking. Took it apart and cleaned the carb and put a little oil on the diaphragm sleeve and it fixed that issue. Rode 2 days and it's bogging again.

Any ideas???

Not leaking fuel anymore but it's still doing the big down issue every now and again during acceleration.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Intermittent bogging at mid throttle
Reply #1 - 06/06/15 at 18:31:03

I can't think of anything in the carb that needs oil.
If you even get finger prints on the slide it can cause trouble.
Clean and dry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/06/15 at 18:40:10

You don't need to oil the slide,.. but it can get gummed up...
Pull it, and clean it and the walls of the cylinder it runs in with carb cleaner on a clean lint free cloth...
It should just fall smoothly down the hole...
Gas is lube enough...

You got a Raptor?... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 06/06/15 at 20:08:29

@serowbot
No raptor. I have the RYCA tank with their petcock so it's not the factory. It's either the slide or the needle. Because it bogs down and the "wham" it all of a sudden catches and nearly puts me off the bike. When I happens letting off the throttle makes no difference. But wrapping the throttle pops whatever is sticking loose and it takes off like a bat out of hell. I took the carb apart once and cleaned it guess I'm gonna have to do it again.

Note*
When I had the carb apart and I pulled on the needle I noticed at full extension it would get stuck like it was catching something. Pull it a bit and it would pop free. Gonna have to see what's up with that.

Reason I cleaned it the first time was I tried to push the slide up while the carb was still assembled and it had some resistance.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/07/15 at 03:18:38

Your jetting sound incredibly rich at the idle/mid range settings.  The Mikuni manual claims that the ideal mixture screw setting for the carb is 1.5 turns.....if the ideal setting (done by running the bike and adjusting for the smoothest operation) is less then 1.0 turn your pilot jet is likely too big and a smaller jet should be installed.  Similarly if you need to turn the screw out more than 2 turns your pilot jet is too small and you should install a bigger one.

Also a single washer on the needle will allow the needle jet to raise up and provide a very rich mixture at mid range.  I believe that 2 washers is the fewest you should use.....3 washers works best for some bikes and 2 for some others (mine liked 2 as 3 would allow for a lean surge when accelerating slowly at low throttle settings).

Here is a video that shows how you adjust the idle fuel mixture.  You need to drop you idle speed down a little bit below the 1,000 rpm so that the engine responds to the fuel screw adjustment...if the idle is too high you might be opening up the jet needle and additional fuel will be flowing out the needle jet......and adjusting the screw might not make any audible difference.  Once you have the idle mixture set you should then bump up your idle speed to keep adequate oil flow to the cylinder head while idling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 06/07/15 at 04:59:52

If you think your slide is sticking, you can clean the slide and the wall with carb cleaner and 00 steel wool. Also watch the engagement of the needle and make sure that it isn't binding as it engages the needle jet. You could have an alignment issue. Is the needle retainer installed in the proper configuration? There is an alignment dimple that needs to be in the proper orientation.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:25:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intermittent bogging at mid throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!