koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Re: No power at all
Reply #30 - 06/07/15 at 04:34:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/07/15 at 00:20:28:
Good plan,,

Good plan. Now, after you have a voltmeter...

1. Check that you have it set up to measure DC voltage. Easiest way to do that is to check the volts on the battery before putting it back into the bike. Should be around 13-13.5 volts no-load on a brand new battery.

2. Clean both battery terminals. make sure there's no paint, plastic, or other crapola on them. Then clean the cables that attach to the battery.

3. Now, with the key off, connect the battery wires, positive first, then negative. When you hook the negative, look for any tiny sparks - there shouldn't be any, these bikes draw no power with the key off. They key is off I hope.

4. Check your battery voltage again, right at the terminals. Then turn the key on and check it again.

A voltage drop with the battery connected but key off indicates a short circuit somewhere. This is bad.

A small (0.5-1 volt) drop with the key on is normal... if all the lights come on.

No voltage drop at all indicates that you have something unplugged or a broken wire.

My guess is the likely diagnosis is a bad or dirty battery connection. Start there, see what you find, report back.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #31 - 06/07/15 at 09:04:02

1. The fresh batt off the bike measured 12.70 volts.
2. Cleaned terminals and connectors.
3. No sparks on connecting the batt.
4. Key OFF 12.14 volts.  Key ON 12.10 volts.  Bike running 12.26 volts.

For reference, this is the battery I have
https://www.batterylookup.com/AutoZone/Duralast~Gold_ETX15L

You mentioned that a voltage drop with battery connected and key off suggests a short.  It dropped from 12.7 to 12.14 so possibly a short?  You also mentioned that no voltage drop from key off to key on suggests something unplugged.  The drop from 12.14 to 12.10 would seems negligible, but truthfully, I don't know what I'm talking about.  Give me wrenches and I'm happy.  Give me something electrical and I'm cringing in the corner.  What can we make of these readings?  What should be my next move?

Side note:  I followed JOG2's advice and got the Clymer manual today as well.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Dead in less than an hour
Reply #32 - 06/07/15 at 10:44:34

So, an hour after putting the fresh battery in the bike I went out to make a quick trip but again...No Power.  In only one hour the voltage of the battery had dropped to 1.38 volts.  I removed the connector from the negative terminal and within moments the charge went back up to 4.43 and continued to climb at about .02 volts per second and it's still inching its way up.  I don't know what to do.  I'm in so far over my head.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #33 - 06/07/15 at 10:55:53

You have "short" somewhere in your wiring.  The question now is where.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #34 - 06/07/15 at 10:57:56

old.indian wrote on 06/07/15 at 10:55:53:
You have "short" somewhere in your wiring.  The question now is where.  

Oh, no... Now I'm really worried.  I don't even know where to begin.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 06/07/15 at 11:27:35

Wow, down to a volt,,  bbig draw, yet, no spark on install

Funny.

Get a healthy battery in it, dont ride it, dont even hook up the ground lead,
That big of a draw, something should be melted.
Eyeball every inch of wire you can,
Pull the seat. And really look good for a pinched wire.

Hook up the test lite battery neg to wire , The light will show if it's draining.
If so, pull a fuse, then the other fuse, changes need reported.

Yeah, electrical, scary,

You'll be okay, just takes time

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #36 - 06/07/15 at 11:40:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/07/15 at 11:27:35:
Wow, down to a volt,,  bbig draw, yet, no spark on install

Funny.

Get a healthy battery in it, dont ride it, dont even hook up the ground lead,
That big of a draw, something should be melted.
Eyeball every inch of wire you can,
Pull the seat. And really look good for a pinched wire.

Hook up the test lite battery neg to wire , The light will show if it's draining.
If so, pull a fuse, then the other fuse, changes need reported.

Yeah, electrical, scary,

You'll be okay, just takes time

Thanks for the reassurance.  I'm surprised I didn't get a spark too.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by, "Hook up the test lite battery neg to wire"...I followed Serowbot's suggestion of soldering two wires to a 12v light.  could you help me understand where I need to hook up the test light?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 06/07/15 at 12:36:15

Put a wire on the battery negative and the other, hold it on the bikes negative battery cable. That puts the light in series with the battery and the wiring harness. If it lights, its because something on the bike is drawing current.
You're not accidentally leaving it in park light position?
Be sure,, its easy to do, and the key will come out.

This test requires that the negative battery cable is not connected to the battery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #38 - 06/07/15 at 13:01:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/07/15 at 12:36:15:
Put a wire on the battery negative and the other, hold it on the bikes negative battery cable. That puts the light in series with the battery and the wiring harness. If it lights, its because something on the bike is drawing current.
You're not accidentally leaving it in park light position?
Be sure,, its easy to do, and the key will come out.

This test requires that the negative battery cable is not connected to the battery.

I figured out what you meant and you were absolutely right connecting the light to the neg terminal and the neg battery cable lit it up bright.  I removed the top fuse and the light stopped.  I removed the bottom fuse (after reinserting the top fuse) and the light continued to be lit.  So the short is along the path of the top fuse.  I also decided to disconnect all of the under seat connectors one by one and you can see in the image below the outlined white connector stopped the light and the outlined black connector made the light very dim.  Does this reveal anything that might help me narrow the search for this short?

I'm inspecting for pinched wires but haven't found any yet.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 06/07/15 at 13:15:32

Dude! You just made my day..

Now you're getting it.
For now, don't concern yourself with anything but the harness the white connector runs.
You Need an ohm meter, imo, but let's muddle through for now.

Okay, pull the white one and black one apart, no light, right?
If so, connect the ground to the battery.
Now, use the test light on the connector, same way as before.
See what you learn.
Now would be a good time for someone to post a bit of wiring diagram.
I'm working blind..

Hayulp, hayulp..
Hes after me, and he has a table leg!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #40 - 06/07/15 at 13:45:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/07/15 at 13:15:32:
Dude! You just made my day..

Now you're getting it.
For now, don't concern yourself with anything but the harness the white connector runs.
You Need an ohm meter, imo, but let's muddle through for now.

Okay, pull the white one and black one apart, no light, right?
If so, connect the ground to the battery.
Now, use the test light on the connector, same way as before.
See what you learn.
Now would be a good time for someone to post a bit of wiring diagram.
I'm working blind..

Hayulp, hayulp..
Hes after me, and he has a table leg!

Oh, it's starting to make sense to me now (a little).  If I connect the negative terminal of the batt then I can jump the individual electrodes between connectors to trace the problem further.  I just came back from getting a fresh battery and I'll start on it as soon as I get it on the bike.  By the way, my new multimeter has an Ohm meter.

PS. I really appreciate you helping me.  Smiley

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #41 - 06/07/15 at 13:49:54

I am pretty certain this is the brake/tail light connector.

In the white connector, the black with white stripe is ground, red is tail light, other should be brake light.

See if you have any power on either the red or the one with the black stripe when the battery is connected but the switch is off.

It sounds like either the park or brake light is on when the switch is off.

Everybody else has said it...make sure it's not being left in park position. The key, when facing the ignition switch turns anti-clockwise for off and clockwise for park.

I hope you get this sorted.  I hate electrical problems.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 06/07/15 at 13:57:39

Gotchya a meter! Very nice.
And IF that's rear brake light stuff, then it's possible that the switch is messed up. You sure that brake light isn't on?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #43 - 06/07/15 at 14:03:47

Here's a clip of the wiring for that section.

tail_light_wiring.jpg

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #44 - 06/07/15 at 14:31:02

Thanks for that. I'm kind of lost looking at the diagram. Where is that white connector in this diagram...also would I be correct that the black wire with a white line is negative? When I connect the negative battery terminal to that wire I get .33 volts

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:27:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No power at all

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.