Send Topic Print
No power at all (Read 525 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: No power at all
Reply #15 - 06/06/15 at 16:18:07

Well, I'm not there to see,but maybe you just found it.

What,Exactly, did you clip the ground onto while the battery was in the bike?

Now would be a Real good time to have a voltmeter.
Do you have a small charger?
Do you have any charger that has a gauge?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 06/06/15 at 16:22:40

Put the battery back in. Run a temporary jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to a bolt head somewhere on the engine. If the bike powers up when you do that, and won't power up without the jumper in place, you have a problem with the negative battery cable.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 06/06/15 at 16:28:13

I clipped the ground to several different things.  First I just clipped it to the nearest bolt head, then moved it all over the place trying to get a light.  I don't have a charger or anything that can give me an accurate reading on voltage.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 06/06/15 at 16:42:17

Didn't you connect to battery negative?

Man, id get a voltmeter, under ten bucks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 06/06/15 at 16:52:26

oldNslow wrote on 06/06/15 at 16:22:40:
Put the battery back in. Run a temporary jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to a bolt head somewhere on the engine. If the bike powers up when you do that, and won't power up without the jumper in place, you have a problem with the negative battery cable.

I just tried this and got the same result.  No power at all.  There are also no hot wires in the ignition plug.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 06/06/15 at 17:04:27

There are also no hot wires in the ignition plug.

Aww, man, really? You mean it just controls ground?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 06/06/15 at 17:11:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/15 at 17:04:27:
There are also no hot wires in the ignition plug.

Aww, man, really? You mean it just controls ground?

It's just that I'm not getting a test light anywhere on the ignition, but then again, I'm not getting a light anywhere.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 06/06/15 at 17:28:55

chzeckmate wrote on 06/06/15 at 16:06:09:
Okay, so I've got some odd results.  I grounded my test light and touched the positive lead to the battery + and no light.  I connected the test light negative lead to ythe negative terminal and the positive lead to the positive terminal and no light.  I removed the battery from the bike and the test light worked.  wth?

I connected the test light negative lead to the negative terminal and the positive lead to the positive terminal and no light.

Okay, the clip you put on the neg. terminal, did you put it on anything Other than the lead part of the battery?
I am asking again, Exactly,what did you do.

When you are wanting a ground to work out for you and you have a clip,you may need to clean up what you clip on, maybe squeeze it and wiggle it.
If you have not clieaned the ground on the motor, you should.
I'm not comfortable that the light only works with the battery out..
You said you have had this problem before...
Did you change the battery, anything, anything else you have done or someone else, anything you can tell about the history.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 06/06/15 at 17:38:12

Yeah this exact same thing happened about two weeks ago so I had the battery replaced under warranty. That battery was only about a month old And that incident happened right after changing the headlight bulb for a brighter one

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 06/06/15 at 17:43:01

I put the positive lead on the screw on the terminal, the terminal, itself, and the cable connector. I put the negative on numerous bolt heads. I did clean the bolt heads first

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 06/06/15 at 18:20:40

And that incident happened right after changing the headlight bulb for a brighter one

The charge circuit does not have much more than the bike demands.
Your brighter bulb might be more than the bike will support.

But that doesn't explain the light working with the battery out but not in.
Do you have ten bucks?
At least haul the battery to an auto parts store and get it checked.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 06/06/15 at 23:42:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/15 at 18:20:40:
And that incident happened right after changing the headlight bulb for a brighter one

The charge circuit does not have much more than the bike demands.
Your brighter bulb might be more than the bike will support.

But that doesn't explain the light working with the battery out but not in.
Do you have ten bucks?
At least haul the battery to an auto parts store and get it checked.

Here's something interesting.  I took someone's advice and tried to jump start the bike and it worked.  I'm assuming that the battery has enough juice to light my test light but not enough juice to power the bike.  I'm really confused about how two brand new batteries could go bad in an instant.  I mean both batteries were so good that the starter didn't even whine.  It would just start instantly...you'd hear the initial click of the starter and immediately the motor would begin to rumble.  What could cause a battery to go from being that strong to not being able to even dimly light the neutral light?  I've never left the bike in park.  I double check that every time.  I'm OCD about that.  I ride every day at least half an hour both ways and the revs are high enough that the charging system shouldn't struggle to put power back into the battery.  I'm really worried that I'm going to go get the battery replaced under warranty again and this will repeat itself.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 06/06/15 at 23:47:30

That's odd, you quoted my post,yet, overlooked a clue, a question and a suggestion.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - 06/06/15 at 23:51:15

Sorry, I meant to mention that the headlight bulb is just a brighter bulb.  The wattage is the same it's just better technology, I'm getting the multimeter in the morning, and I'll be taking the battery there in the morning.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 06/07/15 at 00:20:28

Good plan,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:31:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No power at all

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.