No power at all (Read 525 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
No power at all
06/06/15 at 12:50:15

So, I after changing the air filter I put the seat back on and got ready for a ride but when I turned the key there was nothing.  No headlight, no neutral light, no click, nothing...dead.  The battery is new (about two weeks old) and strong, I checked the fuses and they're both good.  This is the second time time this has happened.  The first time this happened it just started working again after a couple of days.  I really need help.  I need this bike to be reliable.  Please tell me there's some known issue because I don't have any diagnostic tools to go through the wiring harness.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Re: No power at all
Reply #1 - 06/06/15 at 13:11:47

I know with my bike (2013) if the kickstand is down and it's not in neutral it won't turn over as a safety feature. I don't know if that feature affects the headlights though.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/06/15 at 13:21:37

I appreciate the effort TTom, but the bike is in neutral and there would still be headlights and a neutral light.  I wish my issue were that simple.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/06/15 at 13:29:55

Harbor Freight,Northern Tools,
Not having tools and keeping a bike on the road is like not eating and gaining weight. Ain't gonna happen.
Volt/Ohm meters are cheap and easy to use. A test light, another handy,cheap tool.
There is a connector under the tank that can do what you are experiencing.
Before you pull the tank, get yourself a place to set it down so the Speedo cable and petcock aren't in a bind. Yeah, I didn't think about that the first time. Don't lose the o ring on the Speedo connection.
If you ever decide to pull the spark plug, blow out the crud that settles down around it first.
Another mistake I made.
The kill switch is set right?
Will the horn work?
I don't know if you have, but I would pull the seat and try starting with no seat. Maybe you pinched a wire?
But I would certainly be taking the seat off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 06/06/15 at 13:37:33

JOG2 is right, but in the meantime take the seat off and examine as may electrical connections as you can for obvious looseness or chafing. Don't forget to check the main earth wire on the battery at both ends.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/06/15 at 13:40:48

I've got tons of tools, just no functioning volt/ohm meter.  The kill switch is in the on position. The horn, headlight, neutral light, signals, brake light don't work.  Tried with seat off and seat on.  Still no power to anything.  Checked all connectors under the seat for damage/looseness.  It's as if the key isn't in the on position.  I should also mention that I couldn't push start it either.  It will usually push start with a gentle push.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/06/15 at 13:54:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/15 at 13:29:55:
There is a connector under the tank that can do what you are experiencing...

can you tell me more about this connector?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/06/15 at 13:54:21

Try disconnect and reconnect of the ignition switch plug...

Do you have a 12v test light?... This is a simple problem...
You just need to find where the voltage stops.
A meter or test light would really help.

Don't have one?,.. just solder a couple wires to a 12v bulb...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 06/06/15 at 13:55:47

Check both battery cables where they connect to the battery. Check the ground cable where it is bolted to the engine. It's a heavy black wire attached to a bolt at the right rear of the engine, near the lever that the clutch cable is attached to. There is a picture somewhere in the tech section. Maybe someone who knows exactly where can post it for you.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/06/15 at 13:56:47

Serowbot wrote on 06/06/15 at 13:54:21:
Try disconnect and reconnect of the ignition switch plug...

Do you have a 12v test light?... This is a simple problem...
You just need to find where the voltage stops.
A meter or test light would really help.

Don't have one?,.. just solder a couple wires to a 12v bulb...

I have a test light. Can you direct me what to test with it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/06/15 at 14:07:10

Take the seat off,leave it off till you have it running.
Did you do anything other than change the air filter?
Do you have a Maintenance manual or have you found the online version?
You need to prove that power is coming to the ignition switch,then, turn it on and prove that it's going to the start button. Prove power To the start switch and I THINK that clears the connector under the tank of wrongdoing,but im not sure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/06/15 at 15:11:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/15 at 14:07:10:
Take the seat off,leave it off till you have it running.
Did you do anything other than change the air filter?
Do you have a Maintenance manual or have you found the online version?
You need to prove that power is coming to the ignition switch,then, turn it on and prove that it's going to the start button. Prove power To the start switch and I THINK that clears the connector under the tank of wrongdoing,but im not sure.

All I did was change the air filter. I don't have a maintenance manual. I can try to find it online. I'm not sure how to prove that power is coming to the ignition switch.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/06/15 at 15:45:07

Clip yer' little test light wire to a steel bolt somewhere on the engine or frame (no paint, no chrome),... then touch the other end with the pointy thing to the positive on the battery...
See if it lights..
Find the connector that runs from the back of the ignition switch (it's under the seat)... there are 3 or 4 wires on it.. one should be hot
See if it lights..
If that lights,... turn the switch to on... then, the other 3 wires should show hot...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/06/15 at 15:49:45

Aaargh,, I Almost had it typed and the kindle blinked off...

Someone will point you to a manual.

Hook up the testlight clip to a ground. Prove it works, battery positive.
Check the wires on the iggy switch.
Check out all of them, even if you get a hot one first try.
Report finding s,,

Then turn key on.

See if you now have another hot wire on the ignition switch. You should.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/06/15 at 16:06:09

Okay, so I've got some odd results.  I grounded my test light and touched the positive lead to the battery + and no light.  I connected the test light negative lead to the negative terminal and the positive lead to the positive terminal and no light.  I removed the battery from the bike and the test light worked.  wth?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:21:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No power at all

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.