Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying New Rear Brake Shoes (Read 191 times)
AnalogMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buying New Rear Brake Shoes
06/04/15 at 20:08:20

So my 06 S40 has an awful squeal on the rear brake.  I'm taking it in to get an electrical issue figured out, so thought it would be a good time to change the rear brakes.  I bought the bike used, and the brakes have probably never been changed.
During my research I found ALOT of info on front brakes and which pads everyone was using.  But I haven't really found much about rear brake shoes.
Any ufo on whats good and what to stay away from?

The EBC Organic Brake Shoes fit the bike and have a lot of good review on bike bandit.com

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Buying New Rear Brake Shoes
Reply #1 - 06/04/15 at 20:36:26

How many miles on it?
I'd be surprised if the rear shoes were worn out, might be just the drum is full of brake dust
pull the rear wheel, look at the brakes
if they aren't worn, blast the drum and shoes with Brake Parts Cleaner (don't shoot it in the bearings)
if they're worn, then you can replace them, but I somehow don't think they will be

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 06/04/15 at 20:53:30

There is a wear indicator mark on the rear (owner's manual page 7-26 )  that will tell/show you what you need to know.   I did a visual on the shoes when I replaced the tires.  Minimal wear, but I have a squeal also.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/04/15 at 21:05:55

Be careful cleaning up. Don't breathe that crap.

When you use the brake,does it tend to lock up and slide the tire?
Unless someone adjusted it wrong or rode around with their foot on the pedal your shoes are nowhere near worn out.
Cleaning up will probably help with the noise for a while.

Modifying the edges has been shown to help.

If it's locking up, say something.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AnalogMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/04/15 at 22:05:27

The rear brake doesn't lock up, just has the awful squeal. This is my first bike, so I don't really have much to compare the brakes too.
I have 19,669 miles on it.
The guy who is working on my bike took for it a ride and said the rear brakes need changing.
He knows his stuff, and has been working on bikes forever. So i have a lot of respect for what he says.
Is it possible to see the wear indicator mark without removing the rear tire?

Also, are those EBC Organic Shoes any good?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/04/15 at 22:17:40

AnalogMan wrote on 06/04/15 at 22:05:27:
Is it possible to see the wear indicator mark without removing the rear tire?

page 56 of the owners manual.

2 things cause the brakes to squeal, excessive brake dust is one of them.

Also spend a minutes and get the brake hot to drive off any moisture.

WWW   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 06/04/15 at 22:41:49

The S40 has a single cam rear brake  which means that only the top portion of the two brake shoes are brought into contact with the brake drum, vs. my old Hondas which had two cams pushing equally top and bottom of the shoes which then pushed the entire surface of the shoes against the revolving drum (Creating much more friction /braking force.)
The Index mark is inscribed (a groove) on the keyed "post" that the rear brake lever is attached to. The "range indictor" is an arc inscribed on the brake cover (backing plate) just above the keyed post .  Looking at the direction the top of the wear indicator is pointing will tell you what you need to know.   The farther left it is pointing, the more wear is indicated..      

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/05/15 at 02:33:41

The EBC organic pads and shoes are my choice for new replacements, they are very good.

Most likely your rear shoes are not worn out - the brake just needs to be cleaned up.  One of the things that is really hard on rear brakes is when you wash the bike and then put it away without a ride to get the water out of the brake.....and the water stays in the drum and rusts the steel lining in the aluminum hub.  Then when you next use the brake the rust particles gum up the fiber in the brake shoes.

The mechanic could take the brake drum apart and lightly sand the steel surface in the hub, and the same with the shoes to remove the crap and then clean them with Brake Cleaner.....but at an $ 80 - $ 100 labor rate it might be just as cheap for him to put new shoes in.

Be nice to your new brake shoes....don't put the bike away wet.  Always go for a 10 minute ride after you wash your bike to get the brakes and electrical connectors dried out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/05/15 at 06:21:57

I have 19,669 miles on it.

If you don't know if the cam chain tensioner is okay, you're in the top end of the mileage zone. And that's a potential engine killer.
I apologize if it's already been talked about. CRS,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 06/05/15 at 06:48:04

I put new front pads on my bike when I bought it (had an amazing loud squeal).
They started squealing again after a couple thousand miles so I took 'em apart, cleaned 'em up and sanded (emery cloth) the rotor.
The rear brakes started squealing a while back, too.  I put new tires on last weekend and cleaned up all the rear brake bits; it was pretty well covered in brake dust.  I also took emery cloth to the rear drum and shoes while I had everything apart.
Squeal gone from the back now.
Still can't figure out how to keep the pig out of the front brakes. Undecided

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #10 - 06/05/15 at 07:01:01

Tocsik, try a very thin smear of copper grease on the BACK of the front brake pads (NOT the surface that makes contact with the disk)   Wink

The pig will disappear, hopefully  Smiley

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/05/15 at 07:50:00

HovisPresley wrote on 06/05/15 at 07:01:01:
Tocsik, try a very thin smear of copper grease on the BACK of the front brake pads (NOT the surface that makes contact with the disk)   Wink

The pig will disappear, hopefully  Smiley

Auto zone sells piddly little packets of 'brake grease'
same stuff (or same effect at least) Customers used to get mad at me for trying to sell it to them, but it's one of the few ('little packets of crap' the company pushes that's actually useful

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 06/05/15 at 07:54:06

Yeah, I treated the backs of the pads with brake grease when I installed them and when I took 'em apart and cleaned 'em.  Just can't keep the squeal gone for long and I haven't been riding in the rain, either.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/05/15 at 07:56:47

Weird indeed
My EBCs are probably bedded in by now, no squeel

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/05/15 at 08:04:27

The stock brake pads can be noisy once they age.

The EBC organics don't make much noise.

With problem pads you can take the pads off, clean the back and apply an orange RTV type product that you can get at Autoparts Stores.  It reduces the vibration of the pad in the caliper.  It is a bit tricky to get a smooth layer on, and it takes a bit to set up if the weather is cold or damp (sets up fast in the direct sun on hot days).

The trick for squeaky trials motorcycles was to get the brake really hot and shoot cold water on the disc.  For some reason it worked and never seemed to warp the rotors or cause any other problems. Shocked  

Never tried this....it might help as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkfmAB-oKaQ

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying New Rear Brake Shoes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.