Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear wheel alignment and belt tension (Read 233 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Rear wheel alignment and belt tension
06/03/15 at 19:48:33

I got new rear rubber and have installed my rear wheel. I understand the tensioner bolts and how to increase/decrease the belt tension and align the belt on the rear pulley.  My questions are:

a) How do I measure proper belt tension? I don't have the 'tool' from the PO. I do see the 'tab' that you are supposed to set the tool on, so is there a general rule of thumb such as 1/2" of travel up and down (1" total), etc. measuring at the measuring tab?

b) How critical is it that the belt ride dead center on the rear pulley? Right now it is riding with about 3/32" gap on the left side (space between the belt and the pulley wall) and 1/16" gap on the right side.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
FLDoug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear wheel alignment and belt tension
Reply #1 - 06/03/15 at 20:41:02

The attached video on belt tension from the tech section should help with your first question.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335401723

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/03/15 at 21:06:58

Thanks FLDoug! That answers the tension question.

I did see on other posts linked to that one that there are different ways to check the alignment of the rear axle such as measuring the distance from swing arm pivot to axle on both sides, but my intuition tells me that I should focus more on the belt tracking near center on the rear pulley and by default that will take care of the wheel being centered and tracking straight.

Am I thinking correctly?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/03/15 at 21:29:19

If you take a strong cord and lay it in between the belt and front pulley
Push bike till its at the front of the pulley,pull cord across the face of the rear pulley. When it's right,you'll see.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/04/15 at 02:38:39

As long as the belt has a space on both sides...I believe it is close enough - but if you want to align it better here is what I do.

Set the belt tension where you want it and ride the bike.  If the belt is not centered, then loosen the axle nut, and use the right side tension adjuster to correct the alignment.  If the belt is riding too close to the right side of the pulley (spoke side), then tighten the right side adjuster a small amount and tighten everything back down and go for another ride.  If the belt is riding too close to the the left side of the pulley (swing arm side), then loosen the adjuster bolt a little bit and make sure you push the axle/wheel forward while you tighten the axle nut (I tap the end of the adjuster with a rubber mallet).  You might get it right the first time....or it may take a couple of tries.  You can do this with the wheel still on the ground - it is not necessary to jack the bike up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/04/15 at 05:38:31

Thanks, Dave. That's pretty much what I was doing to get it dialed in where it is, but I have to start over on the alignment as my belt tension is a little too tight and I need to loosen it up some.  

I just wanted to make sure that this approach (what you mentioned and Kinda what I was doing) was acceptable versus 'measuring' the distance of swing arm pivot to the bolt, etc. on both sides....

I'm fine with 'chasing the needle' on aligning the belt dead center of the rear pulley with the adjustment screws and calling it complete so long as you old pros say that's sufficient. Wink

Thanks!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/04/15 at 05:45:12

The belt alignment however doesn't mean the tire/wheel alignment will be perfect.  As the bearing in the pulley hub wears it becomes a bit loose and allows the belt tension to move the pulley hub out of alignment, and the pulley tilts slightly forward which will allow the belt to move to the outside of the pulley.  When you align the belt in the middle you most likely are getting the tire a tiny bit out of alignment with the front wheel - but I do believe the amount is minimal and not worth worrying about.  (And the index marks on the swing arm are OK for getting close - but are not perfectly accurate).

(If you grab your pulley on both sides and can rock it back and forth parallel with the swing arm more than just a little bit (not rotate it as that is normal)....it might be time for you to do the 'floor matt shims".

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 06/04/15 at 06:46:53

I'll double check it, but I think my pulley is in there pretty solid thus far. Bike is well maintained (not out in the weather) and only have about 4500 miles of easy riding (I am 165lbs and ride like an old man) so it hasn't seen a lot of hard riding to have worn, etc. I recall when taking it apart that the pulley side was very clean inside and didn't show any signs of worn rubber, etc.  Just a lot of brake dust on the other side. Grin

Actually, just happened to find this pic that I forgot I took.

IMG_20150603_121006.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 06/06/15 at 07:55:48

Ok team...sorry to beat this issue to death but it's bugging me. I finally got the belt tension about right and I ignored the belt alignment and dialed in the left and right adjustment marks to be as close to identical as I can tell with my crummy eyes. Anyhow, it rides fine and no squeaks or squeals, but the belt is riding the left rail of the rear pulley and that just bugs me.  

Sorry for asking again, but is is critical that the belt not rub the rail of the pulley, or more important to let the tire be (assumingly) centered based on the alignment marks?

I keep wanting to 'monkey' with the alignment bolts to try and center the belt and it's also confusing e which way to go in order to do that. if in fact that's what I need to do versus leave it alone.  My pulley is snug, and nothing I would define as 'looseness' or 'play'.

belt

screenshot windows

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/06/15 at 08:08:08

The belt moves around as you accel and decel anyway..

As long as it ain't makin' noise that bugs you, don't worry about it...
Those edges on the pulleys are there to keep it on... (if it didn't move side to side, it wouldn't need them)...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 06/06/15 at 08:13:54

Thanks Serow.

So unless it's noisy, ignore the belt and focus on keeping the alignment marks centered as to make sure my tire tracks straight and doesn't wear out my new rear rubber in some strange way, right?  I'm sorry for being anal, it's just may nature.  I am hitting the Dragon for the first time in a few weeks and don't want any surprises out there.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/06/15 at 09:20:54

Well....if you want to be anal about it....don't rely on the marks on the swing arm.  Use them to get close, then check the distance from the swing arm pivot point to the center of the axle.  Some folks have claimed the marks aren't all that close.

And I try to center the belt on my bike.....the misalignment of the front and rear wheel will be absolutely tiny, as it will probably only take a 1/4 turn of the adjuster to get the belt centered.  And to keep track of which way to go....you need to move the axle forward on whatever side the belt needs to move over toward.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 06/06/15 at 10:04:48

Dave wrote on 06/06/15 at 09:20:54:
.you need to move the axle forward on whatever side the belt needs to move over toward.

I'm on it.  "forward=toward"   Smiley Smiley Smiley

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/06/15 at 13:50:24

If it's always on one side or the other, something is wrong. The cord is how we lined up big oilfield pumps that used six or more  V belts.
It's a way to get the thing close, but when you accelerate, the rear pulley will tilt out at the rear and in at the front a little, unless you have been doing machine work on it.
Like Row said, if it's not acting up, it's probably just fine. You're seeing it play back and forth some,so, you've probably got it as right as it needs to be. It's kinda crude, sloppy, not like a lathe or something with close tolerance s, the pulley takes the belts power and spin s that wheel, but it is not a precision part.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 23:58:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear wheel alignment and belt tension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.