Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good thing I own 2 Savages... (Read 72 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Good thing I own 2 Savages...
06/03/15 at 12:43:13

Unfortunately, both are big time broken...

I may need to do a swap, putting the black bike's engine and wiring into the orange bike's chassis. Coming home from work, dropped off a sunken pavement slab. Bottomed out (popped) the Progressive shocks, shattered the exhaust and fender mounting brackets, chassis base rails ground along the pavement. Fender and pipe both contacted the pavement at 55 mph. Raised white letter tire is now a smooth blackwall on the left side.

Kept the bike upright. All the lights still work. Runs fine, tracks straight (rode it the 21 miles home from incident, courtesy of coat hanger wire). Rear fender, pipe, shocks all hosed. Hit hard enough to knock the risers off kilter, right side grip is pulled back in relation to the center line of the bar mounts. Frame has obvious abrasion damage.

Trying to decide on my course of action. One thing certain, neither machine will EVER see duty on Interstate 40 again. Going to have to buy something with a stronger suspension and more ground clearance.

ANY old WPA roads in your area need to be treated as suspect. The states all have federal suberslab sections built over old pre-cast slab roads. The slabs are failing, the base layer/underlay is failing. I got lucky, you may not.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Good thing I own 2 Savages...
Reply #1 - 06/03/15 at 12:56:48

Yeah,you got lucky. You could have gotten seriously hurt or minimally dead.
IIRC,you pay taxes to have roads,maintained to safe travel standards.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 06/03/15 at 14:52:10

Quote:
Trying to decide on my course of action. One thing certain, neither machine will EVER see duty on Interstate 40 again. Going to have to buy something with a stronger suspension and more ground clearance.

That's why I bought a KLR 650 and it is a wonderful motorcycle.  Believe it or not I bottomed out the suspension going down the interstate once.  That's 7 inches of suspension in the front and back.  So far so good, I really enjoy it.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 06/03/15 at 17:13:43

Glad you're alive and well, WD! Sounds like it was a fun ride back home!  Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/04/15 at 13:38:41

Dang WD, glad you were able to keep the shiny side up

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:28:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Good thing I own 2 Savages...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.