Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issues of a newly (re)running Savage (Read 96 times)
rjs111
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Issues of a newly (re)running Savage
06/01/15 at 16:26:54

Hello! I've scoured this forum looking for answers, but I couldn't find anything that fit exactly. Pardon me if this has already been covered.
I have a 2002 Savage with 15k miles on it. Long story short, it was garaged for about 5 years by my dad. The deal was I could have it if I paid to get it running (deal!). I just got it back from the mechanic today and took it for a 20 mile ride. Here are my issues:
1. When it's cold it stalls out even with full choke. I have to keep on the throttle a little bit to keep it from dying, but once it warm it's good for the most part.
2. When coming to a stop the idle slows dramatically and will die if I don't keep on the throttle and slowly ease off of it.

The carb is clean, and he said that he changed out the petcock and air filter. I'm currently running a few ounces of seafoam to see if that helps. Do you think the issues will subside once I ride a few tanks with the seafoam or could there be a deeper problem? Thanks!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Issues of a newly (re)running Savage
Reply #1 - 06/01/15 at 16:47:36

As a temporary solution, you could try upping the idle on the throttle stop screw on the carburettor, if that doesn't work ask the techies on this site.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/01/15 at 17:09:21

Make sure your idle speed is ain't too low...
The engine should purr, no lope... It will starve the head and ruin you cam journals if the idle is too low... (low oil pressure)...

Just getting up to the proper idle speed may cure your problem...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/01/15 at 18:59:22

-15,000 miles...
And you guys are telling him to get the idle up.

Check out the cam chain tensioner, now..
Unless you know that it's been checked out by someone who Actually Knows what is and isn't okay, then you are sitting on, well, I'll let the others fill in from here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/02/15 at 11:01:22

What kind of petcock did the mechanic use? Raptor?
If stock, then try to run it on prime and see if it helps....if so, go back to the mechanic and ask for your old petcock back (bet he didn't give it to you)...just sayin'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
rjs111
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/02/15 at 12:00:00

Thanks for the replys.

The idle seems about right to me. And thanks Justin for scaring me half to death with the chain tensioner. I'm going to order the moded one soon. I don't hear any ticking noises, but better safe than sorry.

Bubba, I called up my mechanic again to confirm that he replaced the petcock. He told me that he inspected it thoroughly and decided it wasn't a necessary fix. Needles to say, that's probably the cause. I'll ride it around for a while with it on prime to confirm, then order up a raptor.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/02/15 at 12:52:16

If that seems to solve it you want this one...gen u wine...
Yamaha part # 5LP-24500-01-00

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:29:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Issues of a newly (re)running Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.