454 front pulley mod (Read 134 times)
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
454 front pulley mod
06/01/15 at 16:13:54

ok soooo....

I have the pulley from 86' 454 ltd. Have machineist (spelling) to make the pulley same dimensions as stock, what I do not have is the knowledge on how to take front pulley off

First do I need a stand? or on blocks my local buds are saying no just to loosen axel nuts loosen belt tension then loosen the main nut holding the front pulley on.

Is that right order other than removing the cover panel to access the front pulley of coarse...

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 454 front pulley mod
Reply #1 - 06/01/15 at 17:03:10

Don't loosen the belt until you get the pulley loose...
32mm socket,... flatten the washer, ...
...if you use an impact wrench,... it'll just come loose pretty easy...
...if you're gonna' use a breaker bar...make it a big one,...and you need to secure the bike... and stop the rear wheel from turning...
a. big guy sitting on the bike, and pressing the rear brake pedal..
b. strap the rear wheel to a post with a ratcheting tie down...
c. remove the belt, and put a wooden wedge between the pulley and the stator case...

... I like option b. best... but now I just use an electric impact wrench...
...much easier...

Then, loosen the axle to get some slack...

Once the new pulley is installed,... raise the bike and adjust the belt tension...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/02/15 at 04:24:27

Serowbot pretty much covered it.  If you are working alone it is tough to hold the rear brake and run the wrench at the same time.  Before I got my impact wrench I used a combination of bike in gear and holding the rear brake (I am not a fan of jamming anything between the pulley and belt.  The belt needs to be at the proper tension when you do this so the belt cogs can engage into the pulley properly.

You need to perfect the removal method.....as you are going to be using it to properly torque the nut back on with the new Kawasaki pulley.  I also recommend you clean the oil/grease off the shaft and nut and use Threadlocker when installing the nut....as well as bending up a couple of sides of the lock tab - You don't want the nut working loose as it ruins the output shaft splines when the pulley flops around on the shaft.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #3 - 06/02/15 at 11:32:24

my pop has a impact wrench just not the socket, so advanced auto here i come for that.

leave it in neutral or in gear if using impact wrench?

Dave those tabs you hammered down a little flatter... they hold the outside rings to the cog part of the pulley, do you even need the outside ring thing or does it work as a guide for the belt.

only reason I ask is removing the outside rings I wouldnt have to cut the one mounting hole for the cover plate like you did

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/02/15 at 11:42:48

Serowbot wrote on 06/01/15 at 17:03:10:
...if you're gonna' use a breaker bar...make it a big one,...and you need to secure the bike... and stop the rear wheel from turning...
a. big guy sitting on the bike, and pressing the rear brake pedal..
b. strap the rear wheel to a post with a ratcheting tie down...

best method so far, but hook the strap to the frame, you don't want to do wheelies.
hook 1 end to the bottom of the frame, down to the ground and around the tire then back up to the shock mount, racket until tight.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/02/15 at 11:44:19

I would not put the pike in gear if using the impact wrench.

I also would leave the ring in place on the pulley..they would not have mounted them on the pulley if it was not needed.  Just peen the heads down a little and they will clear....and to make the flanges clear you do have to do a little bit of hacksaw work...it is easy and when you have the new pulley in place you just trim to fit.  On the outer cover I only had to remove a tiny piece of a reinforcing web that just barely made a squeaking sound...you could have done it with a file in half a minute.

And do not use the impact when installing the pulley....you need a torque wrench and some threadlocker.

Your gonna' love the gearing change. Smiley

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #6 - 06/04/15 at 08:05:44

both pulley at shop, on vaca next week so hopefully it will be done by then.

Dave he made a good suggestion about those tab things once he looked at the stock pulley. Tac welding the ring to the pulley with the tabs still in place then remove tabs and do full weld of the ring to the pulley.

Just a idea in case you make some more

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/04/15 at 08:44:10

You don't want to use the Kawasaki method of mounting, or the little tab.  It does nothing on the Suzuki.  You want/need/must have the pulley firmly locked in place between the shaft and nut and torqued down properly.

I am not sure how Kawasaki got by with just having a locking tab - but if the pulley is not locked firmly in place the pulley moves around and wears the splined shaft out.

Seriously.....do not try and "improve" on the mounting method....it works fine if you just do the machining to narrow the hub to the Suzuki width.  No welding required, and do not use the Kawasaki locking tab.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #8 - 06/04/15 at 09:06:33

no no not the locking washer with the 2 screw holes

the outer ring of the whole pulley where you had to flatten the tabs. I am just flattening the tabs like you did he just gave me the suggestion to remove them and weld the rings to the pulley just the savage stock pulley is

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/04/15 at 09:19:54

Oh...OK.  I read you description wrong.

I initially tried to have a friend weld the ring to the pulley by TIG welding....I though he could just melt them down flat and join them together.  The problem is the plating did really funky stuff and it would not weld properly.  After trying to weld two of them and getting really crappy looking welds....we stopped.  That is why I just chose to flatten them with a hammer and flat bar.  (He might need to bead/sand blast the plating off before he tries to weld the pieces together).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:27:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 454 front pulley mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.