Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil started spewing while riding - Newbie (Read 373 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil started spewing while riding - Newbie
Reply #30 - 06/18/15 at 10:23:46

I dunno if that's got an oil pressure passage there, but if it's pressurized, everything above has starved and been hurt. I really don't think it is, but dang if it didn't look kinda arterial.
But, if its not pressurized, then you could, if the pulley and everything that goes there, leaves room for some clever patchwork.
One consideration is where did the stuff that's gone go?
Bits of aluminum and possibly, but less likely,even the screw is in the oil.
Before I dropped the money on welding I think I'd clean up around the area and work outt a patch. Be a bit complicated, but, I've built some pretty crazy stuff. I talked a guy through a ball joint change on acar, Floor jack, chain, and he was not any kinda mechanic. He was an accountant.
Anyway, I see some potential approaches, typing them is too involved.
Pm me your number if you want.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 06/18/15 at 10:30:38

There are no oil passages there......it is broken at the left center case halve between the crankcase where the flywheel and rotor spins.....and the rear pulley.  And it doesn't appear the broken piece has gone anywhere....there is a tab of aluminum in the photo that is broken and shoved forward a bit.  It might be worth removing the cover and see if you can shove that aluminum back into place before applying the JB weld.

The photo shows the break is right at the seam between the left half of the crankcase and the left side cover.....so unfortunately just replacing the cover and gasket is not going to fix it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #32 - 06/18/15 at 10:36:06

Went and looked again. Don't think the screw went in.
What's the pulley look like?
Id wanna drain the oil into a clean pan, dump it in a jar and see if you can see silver bits. Shiny oil , pretty,just not good.

And what Dave said.
Also, cracks tend to grow. The lower end of the wound would be stopped by drilling a small hole, but only if you can catch the junk. And the drill not hit anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #33 - 06/18/15 at 11:41:04

As far as drilling and catching debris, you can use a decent size shop vac to sit alongside your drilling in an effort to coerce any shavings into the vacuum and not the case.  It's no guarantee that it will get everything, but it's a good start at least.  

Also, it certainly won't catch anything that falls through the back side, but if you advance the bit really slow and only produce itty-bitty pieces of metal shavings versus going fast and hard thus creating big long slivers of aluminum, you better the chances of sucking up the debris. And if something does drop in the case, maybe it'll just be a super small fragment and nothing large enough to get stressed over....and worst case, maybe do a good oil flush and refill after you complete your work.

Lastly, the hardware store sells "picks" that you can maybe use to reach in there and pull the bent piece back out somewhat level.  Or, maybe drill a small hole into the piece that needs pulling back out and insert a screw into that hole and use it to pull against?  Dave/Serow/Versy...you guys know if this is too risky so please chime in  Huh

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 06/18/15 at 12:46:18

The is no reason to be drilling anything and worrying about shavings getting into the engine that I can see.  It only takes 3 screws to pull the outer cover off (and probably a new gasket as the original one is toast anyhow).  Once the cover is off you can drill/file/cut/bend and do whatever you want.....and you can just use rags to catch and clean up the debris.

He has broken a bit of the metal out of the engine case just in front of the pulley....as seen in this photo (ignore the red circle).  You might be able to push the metal back into place, seal it up with JB Weld, and even file the surface to make it flat so a new gasket will seal it up oil tight. (A little RTV sealer at the wound site wouldn't hurt in this application when putting the cover back on).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 06/18/15 at 12:54:13

I think Dave's idea , pulling the cover, pressing the sliver into position, is a winner. Would make checking out debris better.
If the gasket mating surface is damaged, it can be repaired, but, the skill level might be a bit much for someone with limited experience with epoxies and sanding. JB Weld is one fine product. I repaired a sealing surface on a frac pump and it held up long enough to make the job, which means several hours of high pressure, pulsing.
I think you can win that, but, epoxy alone isn't that strong. A stick of epoxy will break, like cement, it needs something to stick to. You might be ahead to find some kinda open weave fiberglass and  press the epoxy into it, putty knife, wet the stuff thoroughly, and dont just wipe it on the case, press it, wet the surface well. The instructions are 50/50,but if you go a hair light on the hardener, and work in a cool place, you'll get a bit more working time.
Once you get it like you want it, hang a drop light by it.
That's incomplete, but a start.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 06/18/15 at 12:59:12

JB Weld is strong, withstands engine heat well....and it sets up incredibly slow so you have about 30 minutes of working time.  The only downside is that when first mixed it is about like working with hot fudge....and it will run and sag if you are trying to put it on thickly.  The instructions say you can wait 15-20 minutes after mixing before you apply it....so that it is thicker and will not sag or run.

If you put it on in the runny state....just be aware you are going to have to keep pushing it back into place until it begins to thicken.

If you want to try and push the epoxy up against a flat piece of metal to shape the gasket surface....use a piece of black electrical tape stuck to the metal form....the JB Weld will not adhere to it and you can remove the form "after" the epoxy has set overnight.  You can drill a hole in the form and attach it to the screw hole next to the broken piece.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 06/18/15 at 13:20:08

Live I said, just a start..creativity, maybe more than one pass. Sand before adding.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:19:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil started spewing while riding - Newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.