Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
is the new rear tire I just bought too old? (Read 39 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
is the new rear tire I just bought too old?
05/30/15 at 06:38:56

Finally bought new shoes for my scoot and was getting ready to pull the wheels this morning.  The front tire has a date code of 0915 which is excellent!
But the rear tire code is 4111  Angry.

So I figure it's been alive for all of 2012-2014 plus 11 weeks of 2011 and 20 weeks of 2015.  That makes it 3 years and 7 months old.  I'm pretty sure sure that's OK, 'specially since it's the rear tire and will wear more than the front but wanted to solicit opinions from the group.

I guess this is the pertinent info in order for anyone to give an opinion:
The new rubbers are Michelin Commander II's purchased from Rocky Mountain ATV (online).  The tire looks like it's been stored well as it seems to be supple and doesn't look oxidized.  
I rode about 4500 miles this past year.  I always ride solo and plan on more miles this year.  If the tires are ~3 1/2 years old, I should be good for another 2-3 years in terms of age, right?

I read through this thread and it has good info.
I know there's some subjective thoughts on this but wanted to toss this out there anyway.
Thanks.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Re: is the new rear tire I just bought too old?
Reply #1 - 05/30/15 at 06:49:13

I bought my bike with a "new" 7 year old Dunlop with the sticker on it.... ran it a year and got about 5k miles out of it.  To me it seemed to wear quickly.  My Yamaha Bolt has Bridgestone G721 And a G722 on it and I have 6800 miles on those tires and they are barely worn...  As long as theyre not weather checked and have good tread, id use it cautiously. Smiley

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: is the new rear tire I just bought too old?
Reply #2 - 05/30/15 at 10:37:26

Most qualified folks say never to mount a new tire that is more than 5 years old.  I feel that anyone selling you a new tire should not send you something that was made more than a year ago.

As tires age, they become harder and lose some traction.  New tires are coated to delay the aging process - but it still occurs slowly.

As you are aware as you linked to the discussion thread.....I recently sent a 3 year old new tire back to Bike Bandit....and they got me one that was only 8 weeks old! Smiley  Most of these companies never see the tire and as it is shipped from a warehouse near you.....so the seller most likely has little control over what is sent (but they do have the ability to make it right if you are not happy with the tire that was sent).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:19:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › is the new rear tire I just bought too old?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.