Send Topic Print
Need help with a noise (Read 125 times)
zwspringer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need help with a noise
05/29/15 at 13:35:14

Hey guys, my bikes been down for a while and after my latest attempt to fix it failed, I nearly gave up on it. I didn't really want to do that so I figured I would come to you learned folks to try and get some clarity.

It all started with a noise. Turned it on one day, and there it was. Sounded like the starter motor just kept running. Tap the solenoid, they said, so I did. The noise didn't go away. It got to the point that I figured if something was wrong, it can't be wrong if it's not in the bike. I switched out the starter motor (Which was looking pretty rough anyways), and the solenoid, but the noise is still there.

I found a hole underneath the starter motor, which can't be good, marked in the photo with an arrow, as if you couldn't see it. The guys who had the bike before me didn't treat her right, so I've been dealing with a lot.

Like I said, it sounded like the starter motor keeps running, but it's kind of an almost grinding sound. I really don't want to throw in the towel on this bike, but I'm kinda lost as to what course of action to follow. Any ideas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Need help with a noise
Reply #1 - 05/29/15 at 13:45:48

read your guidelines at the top of the section.
tech section is for "how to's"
RSD for questions about the savage.

That's a drainage hole, so your starter doesn't take a bath when it rains.

Did you try pulling off the starter cable?
Or easier yet, when it's running, use a voltmeter to check for voltage at the starter terminal.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/29/15 at 14:00:24

I don't know the answer,need some details.
First, you could have known if the starter was still running just by touching it or putting a voltmeter on it. It's only got power to it when the solenoid is closed..
So, year model,miles, any modifications, how long have you had it, how many miles have You put on it.
Sold mine so long ago that I don't know if that hole is supposed to be there.
What is the oil like?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zwspringer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/29/15 at 14:20:58

Oops, my bad about posting in the wrong place, been a long day.

It's a '97 with 15,800 miles and no mods. I've only had it for the last 1000 or so. The power to the blinkers is jacked up, guy before me tried to jump over the connector that the wire from the controls goes to, fried that. Oil should be fine, did a change right around the time all this started, though.

I got a guy who knows a more than me coming out Sunday, hoping to have some info to bring him since he's never worked on a Savage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/29/15 at 14:32:09

I would not start it again until I looked at the cam chain.
That noise you described, the cam chain tensioner laying on a spinning gear,,
Perfect mileage for a problem like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zwspringer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/29/15 at 16:33:08

Thanks, I'll have to give that tensioner a looking at.

I've been unfortunate enough to not work on too many things with motors, you folks help me make up for it, haha.

I'll update what I find once I get my buddy out this weekend.

IP Logged
zwspringer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/31/15 at 12:19:56

Well everyone, the prognosis was correct, and just in time, too. Real glad I decided to investigate the noise because this is what I found:

So dodged a bullet there. You guys probably have a ton of pictures like that. For the Versy mod, his email isn't pulling up for some reason, and I can't pm him until I've posted ten times, so I was hoping someone could help me out in the mean time by telling me if these parts are suitable to send. They're a little beat up, especially that spring.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, now I just have to get the new parts, throw it together, and then get my butt back on the road.

IP Logged
zwspringer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/31/15 at 12:58:55

Also, what type of sealant do you recommend for putting the new gasket in?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/31/15 at 13:00:01

zwspringer wrote on 05/31/15 at 12:19:56:
So dodged a bullet there. You guys probably have a ton of pictures like that. For the Versy mod, his email isn't pulling up for some reason, and I can't pm him until I've posted ten times, so I was hoping someone could help me out in the mean time by telling me if these parts are suitable to send. They're a little beat up, especially that spring.

dang, second one this month.

I can clean up the housing, but how loose will the plunger fit inside after, can't tell you till I try.
If there's only a small grind mark on the plunger, I'd rate that as acceptable.

You should be getting an email soon.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/31/15 at 15:53:46

Thanks for not being a hardhead. Glad you were willing to dive in and have a look.
The voltmeter you could have used to determine whether or not the starter had power to it after the starter button had been released you will be needing,if not today,or tomorrow,eventually. Harbor Freight has them for under ten bucks.
A shop repair manual is very important.
The money you save on labor will pay for the tools that you'll need and tools are there for a long time.

You tackled the problem. So,you've got guts. Now, developing troubleshooting skills, logic. Hang out here, dig through the tech section, ask questions and you'll either get direct answer s or direction to a thread about it.

IP Logged
zwspringer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/31/15 at 16:38:28

Yeah definitely. My buddy brought his voltmeter out, everything else checks out now.
We had to splice some wires up front for the blinkers, but everything works and looks decent.

Already have some parts on order to replace some worn and broken things, probably
going to pick up a voltmeter here soon to accompany the rest of the tools I've scrounged up over the
past few months. Really looking forward to digging into this and really
messing with it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/31/15 at 16:52:35

Step one
Get it running right, then you have a
Square one
to go back to.
Start trying to do too many things at once and then it doesn't run right,you won't know what to suspect as the problem.

IP Logged
zwspringer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/04/15 at 17:15:58

Starting to get all my parts in, which is sweet. I have a question about
something, though. I have some Yamabond 5 liquid gasket from something
else, can I use that junk as a sealer with the new gasket, or should I use
specifically gasket sealer.

Might be a dumb question, but I would rather ask than make a dumb mistake.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 06/04/15 at 17:21:39

If you ae talking about the clutch cover gasket, and you have a new OEM gasket, you don't need any sealant.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:25:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with a noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.