Engine knock (Read 209 times)
Vakha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine knock
05/29/15 at 08:19:42

Hello,

Here is my problem  (youtube link). At 5 sec mark you can hear that knock quite well. It was no so loud yesterday rather light taping ( i changed oils and became a lot worse for some reason. That expensive oil turned out to be quite rubbish ).  Month ago i went to local mechanics and he checked my cam chain which was fine ( i provided him with all the pics and info from this forum). It might be possible that valves need adjusting again. What i mean by again i did them last year july and then again in september ( well mehanics did  Tongue ). In both cases everything was fine for a month, then that knocking started again and gradually got louder.
I really like my savage but i am on my wit's end with that bike. It has given me more problems than joy.

93 savage
27.000 miles

PS: first post rule. will post link in second post.

IP Logged
Vakha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Engine knock
Reply #1 - 05/29/15 at 08:20:24

Here is my problem  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouMV7t3eIY&feature=youtu.be . At 5 sec mark you can hear that knock quite well. It was no so loud yesterday rather light taping ( i changed oils and became a lot worse for some reason. That expensive oil turned out to be quite rubbish ).  Month ago i went to local mechanics and he checked my cam chain which was fine ( i provided him with all the pics and info from this forum). It might be possible that valves need adjusting again. What i mean by again i did them last year july and then again in september ( well mehanics did  Tongue ). In both cases everything was fine for a month, then that knocking started again and gradually got louder.
I really like my savage but i am on my wit's end with that bike. It has given me more problems than joy.

93 savage
27.000 miles

youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouMV7t3eIY&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #2 - 05/29/15 at 08:40:41

you-tube no workie

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/29/15 at 08:49:26

It's set to private in your Youtube settings...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/29/15 at 08:55:17

this video is private

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/29/15 at 09:03:40

Vakha wrote on 05/29/15 at 08:19:42:
That expensive oil turned out to be quite rubbish ).  Month ago i went to local mechanics and he checked my cam chain which was fine ( i provided him with all the pics and info from this forum).
93 savage
27.000 miles

Synthetic oil?
did someone replace the cam chain?
EU?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/29/15 at 10:40:40

My bike developed a horrible knock...the flywheel nut came loose.  It didn't come and go - it started out as a tick and within 600 miles had become a loud knock that would alert folks you were coming long before they could hear the sound from the exhaust.

It was loudest at idle and would become less offensive as the rpm's increased.

It was impossible to isolate where the sound was coming from, as the end of the crankshaft would carry the sound though the main bearings and into the engine case.....so it sounded like the whole engine was the source.

Unfortunately checking the flywheel nut is not easy, as you need to remove the left side engine case, use a special puller on the rotor, then a large deep socket to tighten the flywheel nut.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/29/15 at 12:57:30

The motor will last as long as the rest of the bike with Rotella T 15-40.
About $13.00 a gallon.

What did it cost to get the cam chain checked? Did you actually get to see it? Did you find out how far the tensioner is extended?

How about a bit of an intro?
Interesting name, where you from? Got experience wrenching on stuff?
You can't hang out here and not learn. Lots of people who come here start with no tools and no experience but in time they gather up the courage and trust in the people here to walk them through.
Welcome and we will do what we can to help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Vakha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/29/15 at 14:00:46

Now youtube vid should work, sorry about that.

Synthetic oil?
did someone replace the cam chain?
EU?
I was using half synthetic and wanted to swap for mineral. It did not like full synthetic when i tried it. Yea i am from eu so unfortunately nobody sells rotella here.

What did it cost to get the cam chain checked? Did you actually get to see it? Did you find out how far the tensioner is extended?

How about a bit of an intro?
Interesting name, where you from? Got experience wrenching on stuff?
You can't hang out here and not learn. Lots of people who come here start with no tools and no experience but in time they gather up the courage and trust in the people here to walk them through.
Welcome and we will do what we can to help.

Along with my bike transportation and fixing few other small things i paid approx $200 ( nothing is cheap in EU). Unfortunately i did not see it and have no clue how far it has extended.
I know thing or 2 about wrenching. I mainly bought this bike so i could make bobber out of it.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 05/29/15 at 19:04:55

If you have checked the Cam Chain & Adjuster,
then ...

Sounds Like  .......

I would: (As Dave said).   Quote:
... checking the flywheel nut is not easy, as you need to remove the left side engine case, use a special puller on the rotor, then a large deep socket to tighten the flywheel nut. ...

Might be worth your time.
(Or then again, might not be).

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Vakha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/30/15 at 06:56:43

Took that cover off today.

Tensioner is 20mm out. Seems that mehanic did not bother measuring it. Gonna order a new one and hopefully that fixes my problems  :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/30/15 at 07:04:01

Vakha wrote on 05/30/15 at 06:56:43:
Took that cover off today.
http://www.upload.ee/image/4750929/IMAG0069.jpg
Tensioner is 20mm out. Seems that mehanic did not bother measuring it. Gonna order a new one and hopefully that fixes my problems  :'(

Misconception #1, replacing a worn out adjuster with a new one will magically draw in the plunger.

The chain is stretched, either replace the chain or get a longer adjuster.

WWW   IP Logged
Vakha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/30/15 at 08:15:47

Thanks for that info Verslagen. Almost bought a new adjuster. I would order your version but summers are extremely short here ( last time i ordered something from USA to Estonia it took a month) and i wanna get it done asap, so il ask my good friend to mod it based on your design. Thanks again for those quick replays.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/30/15 at 09:01:06

AngryYou PAID someone to check the chain and they told you it was okay?
Can you even see signs of someone taking it apart? Bolt, like the peg bolts and Sidestand stuff, a socket SHOULD have recently been on them..
Leaves clean places,
The mechanic either didn't actually look at the chain or is not informed about the design. Either way, he ripped you off.
Either he Told you he was qualified, when he really isn't.
Or, he totally defrauded you by not actually checking.

The

I thought listening to the engine was good enough
Excuse will not fly.
You Can detect a problem that way, but a visual INSPECTION is required to evaluate the condition and determine how much longer it will last.

Surely he has a computer, this forum has demonstrated that the collective wisdom and experience here is not something that would be easy to disregard.

IOW, that guy needs to be doing the welding and grinding and drilling, and you need to be watching over him
Or, IIRC, we suggested an owner take his bike to another shop and make the shop that blew his motor up pay for it.
But seriously, you can't really trust anyone unless you KNOW that They Know about THIS bike. They may be the Hayabusa king and destroy one of these out of ignorance.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Vakha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/30/15 at 13:24:17

That sound was not really noticeable before, but i had my doubts that cam chain might be going south any minute now.
Side cover was taken off for sure. I just get a feeling he did not bother reading any links i gave him and just checked it visually.
Next week im gonna drop by his place and have a chat about it and hopefully get my money refunded. But yea i do feel kinda ripped off. One of my friends recommend him, only reason i went there in first place.
Kinda my fault trying to save few bucks. Should have used my previous mechanic who was 2,5x more expensive but always done a superb job.
I hope i can get my current adjuster modded in monday.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:31:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine knock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.