Suddenly Stalling (Read 105 times)
savage_skulls_
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, Arkansas
Suddenly Stalling
05/28/15 at 19:04:47

So on my way to work this afternoon. She started up with just a little trouble. No choke used. It's been acting like it's shorting out unless I hook up a mini jump starter to it. If you remember I had a thread a little while back about a possible draw killing my battery overnight. That doesn't seem to be the issue. It just intermittently acts like there's no power when hitting the starter and other times will fire right up. Even after acting like there's no power. Not sure what's up there. Spark plug maybe? Anyways, she starts, I get her on the road and it starts pouring rain. No problems through the first two red lights. I hit the 3rd and as I'm switching lanes she starts cutting out. I get stopped at the light and she dies. I start her back up and try to inch forward and she cuts out and dies again. After about 3 of these bouts, I start her back up and pull the choke out them she makes it the rest of the way to work without a problem. Any ideas?

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind-Ghandi
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Suddenly Stalling
Reply #1 - 05/28/15 at 20:16:45

Check and clean the battery terminals. Check and re-seat the two large connectors under the tank at the front of the frame.
Do you have voltage meter or multimeter? If so, check the voltage on the battery.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 05/29/15 at 04:57:56

Sounds like two different problems; an  electrical issue and a fuel delivery issue.

On the electrical side, when you say there is no power to the starter, is there power to the lights and accessories? If there isn't any power, my thoughts go to the battery or its connections. It could also be the main connectors under the tank, but if you haven't had the tank off recently, its less likely. If you do have power at the lights and accessories, it's more than likely the side-stand safety switch.

Regarding fuel...it's a tough call with the limited info presented, but a good place to start on these bikes is the fuel valve. Conduct the vacuum test to ensure that you have adequate flow.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #3 - 05/29/15 at 09:46:04

agreed;  2 diff. problems.

1) carb:  clean jets - swap to raptor petcock if you haven't already.  running with the choke on (enrichener) is a symptom of fuel starvation.  Maybe be dirty jet, may be fuel flow - - or both!

2) electrical.  something is wrong.

a) check with a voltmeter across the battery when at idle and as you raise RPM.  track how you are charging.  

b) the constants draw to flatten the battery IS an issue. when running, it may become MORE of a drain, pulling the battery below 9.5 volts, causing a misfire.   electronic ignitions don't fire well at voltages lower than 10.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/29/15 at 11:24:52

It just intermittently acts like there's no power when hitting the starter and other times will fire right up.

The plug won't keep it from spinning over.
If you hit the start switch and NOTHING happens, hit the horn, look at the lights,
If your head light is supposed to go out when it's starting, but doesn't when you hit the switch, I'd be testing or maybe even bypass it.

There is a wire on the decompression timer that will make it spin the motor even if you have the key in your pocket. There is also an
Always Hot red wire you can tap into. Wanna say it is a yellow wire, not an edge, but towards the middle of the connector. The current draw is so low that I used a tiny little button switch from a dead DVD player.

Mine would just shut off, riding around, and it was like the key got turned off..wait a while and then it would start.. It stopped doing that. IDK why it would start when I bypassed stuff, but it did.

When you say
Acts like there is no power
I hear
Someone may have stolen the battery.

So, if it's spinning over,not starting, that is different.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savage_skulls_
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reply #5 - 05/30/15 at 06:38:48

Haven't had another problem yet with the stalling. I'm intending to go to the raptor peacock soon. Bills this next paycheck then I should a have a little fun money the next Smiley. As far as the starting. The motor spins with no problem. I'll hit the starter and she will spin away. Just sometimes, mainly first thing in the mornings, when there's fog in the air and it's around 65 or lower, it will act like the battery is low. And sometimes like it's dead even. 3 or 4 days ago. I went out to start her and it started with it barely turning over, like struggling really bad. I had driven her about 4 hours prior so I knew it wasn't the draw I had been thinking it could be. So, since I had my jumpstarter for back up already,  I figured I'll just keep trying for a minute,  if not to see if it'll change at least for shits and giggles. 3rd attempt or so she was turning over with a little less trouble, next attempt she turned strong but suddenly no power, neutral light and all is gone, next attempt she fired right up. No problems the rest of the day with her.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 05/30/15 at 08:11:17

That sounds like a battery connection to me.  Sometimes weak, sometimes strong, sometimes gone. Sounds like what a car does when there corrosion all over the terminals.

Have you checked the ground wire where it connects to the frame near the clutch arm?

Battery connectors good and tight?  I figure they probably are since you've been having problems and they should have been checked by now.

Check the large conector under the front of the tank on the right (cam chain) side.  If it gets loose, it will cause strange power issues.  If the connectors are corroded, fix them. This caused me headaches with power flickering, sometimes no power, sometimes power went out for no reason and came back on after turning key off and on again, power went out turning sometimes. When I found and fixed the looseness and corrosion in this connector, my power issues were gone.

The jump starter helping sounds to me like an electrical connection issue.  Either higher voltage or more available current is overcoming the resistance.

I am in complete agreement about the choke when running issue.  Either fuel flow or carb issue there. Or, spark is so weak that the only way it will ignite the mixture is if it's extremely rich. Had a dirt bike with a bad coil do that to me one time.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
savage_skulls_
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reply #7 - 05/31/15 at 07:09:03

I grabbed a new spark plug, some oil and a filter yesterday to install once I get a break in the rain while I'm off work to see if it helps. It was the cheapest and most available option at the moment and it is getting close enough to a change anyways. I just changed Em all about 1200 miles ago but I do nearly all city riding so figured it wouldn't hurt anyways. The stalling and the choke situation has only happened once. We will see how things go after the mini tune up. Holding out on the air filter until I can upgrade to a k&n. I'm sure mine has quite a bit of life left only being 1200 miles and a couple months old.

I have checked and cleaned the terminals and made sure they were tight. I haven't followed the ground wire or checked the connectors under the tank though. I will definitely do that when I tear her apart. Thank you all for the input and helping me resolve any issues that have have come up along the way. All of you here on the forum are awesome and helpful people. Hopefully you will all help me gather enough knowledge along the way to be able to help others

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:15:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suddenly Stalling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.