Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally found the tire! (Read 110 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Finally found the tire!
05/28/15 at 13:33:09

A few months back I came across a photo in a magazine of a Japanese built bobber that was amazing. It was very much my style, super long, super low, clip ons and raw metal. It had an odd setup when it came to wheels and tires. Both front and rear where 15" wheels with a crazy looking tire. There wasn't much info on the tire and no pics close enough to distinguish a brand or size. After searching far and wide I found it. It's a firestone deluxe 5 rib. Come to find out it's a tractor front tire. $170 bucks and 2 weeks later and I have it mounted/balanced and on the bike. Still deciding if I want to keep the red wheels now that I'm not doing whitewalls. Or possibly painting a whitewall on the rear and keeping the red.

I ended up doing a Shinko 241 front 19-2.75 dual sport. Knobs are not very aggressive and the tire has a vintage look to it.

Rear is a 5.00-15 with a 4ply with te safety lock cord assembly rated up to 100 mph of which I'll never go. Don't think it would do well in heavy rain with the ribs but I can do my best to stay clear of that. Finally found that super vintage look I wanted without having to replace to a bigger rear wheel.

image_273.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Re: Finally found the tire!
Reply #1 - 05/28/15 at 13:37:21

Closer shot of the tire

image_274.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/28/15 at 16:07:03

Nice! I agree, I wouldn't want to ride that tire in the rain, but it do look cool

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 05/28/15 at 18:18:31

That tyre do look cool indeed. I'd keep the red rim, it looks good.

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/28/15 at 18:44:50

I'm partial to black rims, but the red is cool if that's your style.  Good looking bike.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #5 - 05/28/15 at 18:55:46

I originally did the red anticipating whitewall tires because I love that combo. Now that I've gone a completely different route I'm gonna go back black I think.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 05/28/15 at 19:17:09

Art Webb wrote on 05/28/15 at 16:07:03:
Nice! I agree, I wouldn't want to ride that tire in the rain, but it do look cool

He is in Long Beach, CA, not far from me.  I have a weather station and I can check back on the rain we get.  In December I nearly got flooded out -- over three inches of rain.  So far in May we got heavy rain on the 14th, from noon to 3pm which dropped a 1/4 inch of rain, and more on the 15th, 0.04" in the morning, and another 0.01" around noon.

We don't do "rain" as in the movie, "H2O .... NO"

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 05/28/15 at 19:54:51

Tyre looks like it's off an agricultural implement, certainly not antique car. It's your bike, but I think the red wheels are a good colour contrast. Interested to know what tank colour you will use.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/28/15 at 20:46:08

Paladin. wrote on 05/28/15 at 19:17:09:
Art Webb wrote on 05/28/15 at 16:07:03:

He is in Long Beach, CA, not far from me.  I have a weather station and I can check back on the rain we get.  In December I nearly got flooded out -- over three inches of rain.  So far in May we got heavy rain on the 14th, from noon to 3pm which dropped a 1/4 inch of rain, and more on the 15th, 0.04" in the morning, and another 0.01" around noon.

We don't do "rain" as in the movie, "H2O .... NO"

We don't usually, either, but look at the drenching we're getting right now  Grin

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #9 - 05/28/15 at 20:48:29

jcstokes wrote on 05/28/15 at 19:54:51:
Tyre looks like it's off an agricultural implement, certainly not antique car. It's your bike, but I think the red wheels are a good colour contrast. Interested to know what tank colour you will use.

You are correct sir. It's actually a tractor tire which was why I had such a hard time finding it. The tire has a lot of meat on it and at 28psi rides amazing. It has a bit more aggressive concave than a typical motorcycle tire so it likes to dive into turns. Had I not had a decade of street bikes and track time under my belt I'd be a bit intimidated by that. I'm loving it so far. Curious to see how it rides as it wears but with the load rating it has I doubt that will be as fast as an off the shelf motorcycle tire.

I really love the red but it no longer fits the build route so I'm going back to black.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/28/15 at 21:54:31

I know the car tires the darksiders use last seemingly forever, though I know a lot of folks don't like the notion

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 05/29/15 at 05:10:37

That's weird that a tractor tire would be rated for 100 mph!  Looks cool.  Definitely a unique look.  Give us another pic when you redo the rims black.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally found the tire!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.