Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken bolt on cylinder head (Read 179 times)
LiPix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Broken bolt on cylinder head
05/28/15 at 02:33:53

Hello everybody,

some days ago I did a regular inspection on the bolts of my cilinder.

For my surprise, I found 2 totally un-torqued bolts and one that was broken. It happened just after my mechanic issued a rockerarm change (because I run out of oil) and a valve adjustment.

The broken bolt is 5 in this photo, and half of it is, of course, inside the hole:

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/suzuki-ls650-1994-pr-cylinder-head_big...

For reference and to help you locate the function of nē5:
http://i.imgur.com/hyVOc5d.jpg

What can happen with this broken bolt? Do I have to worry too much?

Of course, I killed the mechanic.

Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Broken bolt on cylinder head
Reply #1 - 05/28/15 at 08:08:42

Best I can tell that is a head cover bolt. I'd wanna be sure it's not a head bolt,, but, if it's not AND since you ran it low on oil, I wouldn't worry about any details until I had enough miles on it to prove that you didn't damage the bottom end, coulda scorched the head,where the cam rides.
Id like to see the old rockers.
You have no idea how many people get shafted.
One guy recently had a head gasket replaced.
The so called mechanic didn't give him the old one,  my money is on
Fixed the famous plug leak, charged for a head gasket.

We've seen a coupla engines destroyed by
Professional Mechanics just doing an oil change.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #2 - 05/29/15 at 07:19:32

My 2 cents...I agree that it's a head cover bolt, however, the cover is also the top half of the cam journals so I'd guess it's good to have all the bolts in and be even. Having said that, the #5 bolt is not real close to the cam so my vote would be to keep an eye on it and watch for leakage in that area. I'll be interested to hear what others say.
I was using a cheap torque wrench from (guess what tool store) and I broke one of mine. they do snap off very easily. Luckily the motor was sitting on my bench so it didn't hurt quite so bad to take the cover off and start over. 

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/29/15 at 07:25:21

They are tiny bolts, and should be "snug" - but not tight.  Using a 150 pound torque wrench for 6-9 ft.lbs. is never a good idea....my 150 pound torque wrench doesn't "click" reliably for anything less than 50 pounds.

I don't know what to tell you about the single broken bolt.....not sure if it will hurt to run it without the bolt in place.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/29/15 at 13:38:56

There is a torque range listed for about every nut,bolt and screw,but that doesn't mean you've gotta use a torque wrench. When you are working on things,small bolts into aluminum threads,you're ahead using a 1/4" ratchet, and when it starts to come up snug, put the thumb on the ratchet head and
Feel the bolt as you just use the little finger and ring finger. A stout fourth grade girl can strip these out. And which is better? Fixing a stripped thread, getting a busted bolt out or not getting something perfectly tight and having to go back and fix a leak?
The bolts aren't the highest quality, the castings are just aluminum,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LiPix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/02/15 at 06:03:01

For your interest,

I uploaded the photos for the rocketarms and broken bolt.

Check it here:
http://lipix.ciutadella.es/wiki/index.php/Rocketarms_%28balancin%29_Suzuki_Sa...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/02/15 at 07:23:31

That rocker arm wear is not from running out of oil.....as the cam journals fail long before the cam lobes and rockers do when there is not enough oil flow (and the piston/cylinder fail even faster).  The wear on the cam and rockers is from using oil with too little ZDDP in the oil for an extended period of time.

You need to be using a motor oil with 1,200 - 1,400 ppm of ZDDP if you want the new rockers to survive.

What kind of motor oil have you been using?

IP Logged
LiPix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/02/15 at 08:35:39

I am using a 10w40 as suggested in service manual. Previously  used a Repsol, now moved to Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W50.

Here in Spain I cannot get Suzuki oil.

Climate here is 8-15ēC winter, 22-35ēC summer.

I run out of oil. I didn't check the level in 3000km. It was empty.

Now I'm going to use a 10w50 cause it's consuming lot of oil and I want to try a more dense one.

The problems appeared suddenly since I owe the motorbike, so I assume it was my fault. I bought it with 23.800km and failed @ 27.900km.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/02/15 at 08:48:18

We do not like oil made for modern bikes, not enough ZDDP.
this includes zuk oil.
And the problem with racing oil are lack of additives to clean and balance the oil.
can't speak about the castrol in particular.

If you're burning oil, check the top of the piston for deposits.  if there's a lot, then it might be time to replace your rings.

WWW   IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #9 - 06/02/15 at 08:50:54

I'd suggest using 10/40 oil with about 25 to 30 ml of this additive per oil change;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-LINE-ENGINE-OIL-BREAK-IN-ADDITIVE-473ml-ZDDP-CO...

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
LiPix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/09/15 at 01:20:51

HovisPresley wrote on 06/02/15 at 08:50:54:
I'd suggest using 10/40 oil with about 25 to 30 ml of this additive per oil change;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-LINE-ENGINE-OIL-BREAK-IN-ADDITIVE-473ml-ZDDP-CO...

I was reading the Suzuki LS 650 Savage 86 to 04 Service Manual Clymer and there's a section that says:

CAUTION:
Do not add any friction-reducing additives to the oil as they will cause clutch slippage. Do not use an engine oil with graphite added. The use of graphite oil will void any applicable Suzuki warranty. It is not established at this time if graphite will build up on the clutch friction plates and cause clutch problems. Until further testing is done by the oil and motorcycle industries, do not use this type of oil.

What about this comment and ZDDP?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/09/15 at 04:50:19

We have confirmed that the Redline ZDDP does not contain any friction modifiers that are harmful to the clutch.  The same is not true of the Lucas Break in Additive and it should not be used.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:31:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken bolt on cylinder head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.