Send Topic Print
Rear wheel removal (Read 425 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Rear wheel removal
Reply #15 - 05/27/15 at 17:02:13

You don't have a friend with a tree in the yard?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #16 - 05/27/15 at 17:09:51

I do back in my home town 145 miles south. but not where I live now

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #17 - 05/27/15 at 17:11:20

old.indian wrote on 05/27/15 at 15:39:57:
Works for me...But you'll have to earn your keep.  You can either weed the acre, OR clean up after the goats I rented to do (eat) the weeds.   FYI..I checked and the guys at the shop would LOVE to have another gringo make fun of/ point and giggle at..... Smiley

Lol, True. the funniest thing will be seeing me ride the bike. 6'4  size 16 boots. I weight all but 25 give or take pounds as the bike does Lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 05/27/15 at 17:26:15

Read the post about using a block under the frame.
Measure , park it, measure from asphalt to bottom of frame.
Now,go around the bike, grab the handle bar and pull more weight onto the Sidestand,see how that raises the frame on the other side?
Get two blocks, you've measured, so, get stuff that thick,
Break the axle nut loose before you get it up.
A few bits and pieces of skinny stuff, cuz when you push the passenger side to lift it, you'll be able to kick a thicker chunk under the frame.

Typing this, I don't know that you are
Getting
What im saying..
It's what I would do if I was backed in the corner.
I've installed a transmission in a pulling  unit, on site, in operation, in the West Texas sand,no one helped.. I've changed the frame on two pickups ,
You wanna talk about this, pm me, I will give you my number.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #19 - 05/27/15 at 17:32:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/27/15 at 17:26:15:
Now,go around the bike, grab the handle bar and pull more weight onto the Sidestand,see how that raises the frame on the other side?
A few bits and pieces of skinny stuff, cuz when you push the passenger side to lift it, you'll be able to kick a thicker chunk under the frame.

Getting
What im saying..
I've installed a transmission in a pulling  unit, on site, in operation, in the West Texas sand,no one helped.. I've changed the frame on two pickups ,

only capable with texting Atm, kids asleep and such. But I get you. Im also trying to figure out what size the rear axle nut is and what all I need to do to remove it for shop ready tire removal. I've been looking at the clymers manual on here but I would much rather prefer a video givin its my primary work transportation (My car clutch acts like it doesnt exist when its hot outside, by hot 74 degrees and up)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 05/27/15 at 18:46:21

Man, I am so sorry I can't help more..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 05/27/15 at 21:29:02

Neilap wrote on 05/27/15 at 17:32:08:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/27/15 at 17:26:15:

Getting
What im saying..

only capable with texting Atm, kids asleep and such. But I get you. Im also trying to figure out what size the rear axle nut is and what all I need to do to remove it for shop ready tire removal. I've been looking at the clymers manual on here but I would much rather prefer a video givin its my primary work transportation (My car clutch acts like it doesnt exist when its hot outside, by hot 74 degrees and up)

17mm on left side 24mm on the nut.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 05/28/15 at 09:26:45

And keep up with which side the spacers come out of.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 05/28/15 at 13:12:08

Neilap,
I'm gonna go through this with you in parallel.  I just ordered my tires and they should arrive in a couple days.  

I made the cheap bike lift and put eye bolts in each end.  
I plan on removing the seat (and maybe the gas tank), strapping it down real good to the eye bolts and pulling the rear wheel (breaking the nut loose before putting on the lift).  I'll try and brace it up real good after that and see if taking off the front wheel feels like the bike will remain stable.
I'm also considering picking up a cheap floor jack so I can lower the bike to the wheel instead of lifting the wheel to the mounting points.  Any idea what your strategy is going to be?
I have the luxury of doing this in my garage and wish you luck in the parking lot.  In addition to saving some money, I agree with others that I should know how to pull my own wheels.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 05/28/15 at 13:35:20

That bike lift is cheap and TONS safer.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 05/28/15 at 16:20:23

Heck, Neil, you nearly out weight the bike, just pick up the rear end and set it on jack stands under the peg mounts  Grin
Seriouslt there's not a lot to pulling the rear wheel
Break loose the Axle
raise the rear of the bike
disconnect the rear brake rod
slide the axle out (the slack adjusters will fall loose)
move the wheel all the way forward
remove the belt from the rear pulley
Pull the wheel out toward the rear (I thread mine between the fender and the swingarm)
done

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #26 - 05/28/15 at 19:18:24

Art Webb wrote on 05/28/15 at 16:20:23:
Heck, Neil, you nearly out weight the bike, just pick up the rear end and set it on jack stands under the peg mounts  Grin
Seriouslt there's not a lot to pulling the rear wheel
Break loose the Axle
raise the rear of the bike
disconnect the rear brake rod
slide the axle out (the slack adjusters will fall loose)
move the wheel all the way forward
remove the belt from the rear pulley
Pull the wheel out toward the rear (I thread mine between the fender and the swingarm)
done

Ah ha. thank you sir. the clymers manual just confused me with out it was written.

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #27 - 05/28/15 at 19:21:21

Tocsik wrote on 05/28/15 at 13:12:08:
Neilap,
I'm gonna go through this with you in parallel.  I just ordered my tires and they should arrive in a couple days.  

I made the cheap bike lift and put eye bolts in each end.  
I plan on removing the seat (and maybe the gas tank), strapping it down real good to the eye bolts and pulling the rear wheel (breaking the nut loose before putting on the lift).  I'll try and brace it up real good after that and see if taking off the front wheel feels like the bike will remain stable.
I'm also considering picking up a cheap floor jack so I can lower the bike to the wheel instead of lifting the wheel to the mounting points.  Any idea what your strategy is going to be?
I have the luxury of doing this in my garage and wish you luck in the parking lot.  In addition to saving some money, I agree with others that I should know how to pull my own wheels.

That works. and yeah.. I think I have an idea actually because I can lift my bike off the ground entirely pretty easy. (I think I should change my name is savage bigfoot) I may just get a few cinderblocks or something to just lift the bike up onto. I just run into the issues of having no real place to put equipment apart from my car and things light enough to easily carry up and down 3 flights of stairs

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #28 - 05/28/15 at 19:29:12

Oh and Art. I forgot to mention yeah Lol I am almost the same weight as the bike but atleast its just from being a large statured person with some fat. I guess thats why I can ride through 3 inches of standing water with a bald rear tire and having perfect stability Woot

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 05/28/15 at 19:39:19

LOL, I've picked my whole fool S40 up off a truck tailgate, (with me on the ground) but it was a desperation move
Lifting just the rear is pretty easy though, I've done it a number of times

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:25:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear wheel removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.