Send Topic Print
Rear wheel removal (Read 425 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Rear wheel removal
05/26/15 at 22:38:29

I intend on removing my wheels to get the tires changed (I refuse to pay 60 extra dollars to have each wheel taken off increasing the price from 30 a tire to 90) Anyone have a suggestion on how to do this without a motorcycle jack? and are there any topics on proper rear wheel removal?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Rear wheel removal
Reply #1 - 05/26/15 at 22:44:39

Have you looked iyTech? I'm sure that there are threads on lift building and tire removal.
You don't want it far off the floor and the first time it feels like you need another arm..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/26/15 at 22:58:48

in the tech section index towards the bottom are a couple DIY projects.

and a couple of jack stands under the foot peg mounts are pretty stable for the front end.

WWW   IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #3 - 05/26/15 at 23:07:26

you could remove the tank.  lloawn hardware, lay it on its side on balnkets on th floor, then remove the wheels.

or, use a board and a car jack, to one end of th bike at a time.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #4 - 05/27/15 at 02:12:56

I used a regular jack under the muffler bracket, and a few pieces of wood under the kickstand. Probably not the best option, but it worked for me.

IMG_20150401_111308_760.jpg
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #5 - 05/27/15 at 04:46:00

Thanks guys. Actually quite a few things i am capable of here. I thought about laying it over since the bike is pretty light to me.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 05/27/15 at 05:57:29

You can support the bike as shown in this thread (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1432054297) and use a car jack (scissor, bottle, hydraulic) to lift the center of the bike.

I'd remove the rear tire first. Once the swing arm is on the ground the bike is fairly stable.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 05/27/15 at 07:48:39

When I did my front tire recently, I took the bike down to my barn and used a tie down strap on each side of the 'tree' to evenly secure the front end off the ground (have a low ceiling and I wrapped the strap around the rafter) whilst I supported the body of the bike with blocks under the engine area.  Those coupled together supported the weight of the bike and also kept it from being able to tip over.

I plan to do my rear maybe tomorrow night and I intend on doing the same.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #8 - 05/27/15 at 07:56:40

i'l be doing it in a parking lot Lol. that and if I drop off the bike to get the tires changed, there isnt a shop in the town that will do it in a day and I dont have a ride back : D

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #9 - 05/27/15 at 10:09:31

This makes me EXTREAMLY thankful for the little motorcycle shop here in town.   Two brothers who are reasonably priced and guarantee their work.  My new Michelins cost the same as the best price on the 'net. $50 got the wheels off (and back on) , tires mounted and balanced, spokes checked, brake shoes and pads inspected, and the belt and rear brake adjusted. All while I was in the back watching and lending the occasional third set of hands when needed.    All this, free coffee and good conversation too.    Smiley  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/27/15 at 10:23:57

projectfj wrote on 05/27/15 at 02:12:56:
I used a regular jack under the muffler bracket, and a few pieces of wood under the kickstand. Probably not the best option, but it worked for me.

this is what I did, three times now, and I didn't even use block under the kickstand
don't lift the wheel to the swingarm, going back in, lower the swingarm to the wheel

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/27/15 at 10:25:43

For the rear I pulled the tank, used fat soft rope and a come along.
Joists in the shop, plenty strong.
No come along? They are cheap. Or, O'Reillys has a Good one for 45..
Cable drum one piece,not laminated. Ratchet on both ends.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #12 - 05/27/15 at 10:37:31

old.indian wrote on 05/27/15 at 10:09:31:
This makes me EXTREAMLY thankful for the little motorcycle shop here in town.   Two brothers who are reasonably priced and guarantee their work.  My new Michelins cost the same as the best price on the 'net. $50 got the wheels off (and back on) , tires mounted and balanced, spokes checked, brake shoes and pads inspected, and the belt and rear brake adjusted. All while I was in the back watching and lending the occasional third set of hands when needed.    All this, free coffee and good conversation too.    Smiley  

So I have decided im going to keep my bike at your place and kinda live there Lol. the nearest small shop charges a flat rate of 87 dollars per wheel to unmount and change. (Haaaaate it)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/27/15 at 11:42:35

You can also get the rear off the ground by finding just the right size block to jam under the right side of the frame, then stand the bike up and tie the handle bar to something to hold it there.
I did it, bike pointed out of the garage, tie it from both sides.
If you can't tie a bowline and double half hitch, make loops, etc, IOW, if you aren't good with knots, don't try it.
Besides, you'll be doing both ends. I d recommend the come along.

Surely someone has a motorcycle jack and I GUESS you can get both ends at the same time. I was never that brave... I didn't want it just hanging AND
I can't see hanging a wheel on a bike swinging by a rope.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #14 - 05/27/15 at 15:39:57

Neilap wrote

So I have decided im going to keep my bike at your place and kinda live there Lol. the nearest small shop charges a flat rate of 87 dollars per wheel to unmount and change. (Haaaaate it)

Works for me...But you'll have to earn your keep.  You can either weed the acre, OR clean up after the goats I rented to do (eat) the weeds.   FYI..I checked and the guys at the shop would LOVE to have another gringo make fun of/ point and giggle at..... Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:27:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear wheel removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.